• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tropical Storm Ida projected to hit as a Cat 3, maybe 4...

It sounds like you've had a lot of experience with natural disasters @wahya. Katrina was our first and we had much to learn. Perhaps what's shared in this thread will help someone next time.
Thanks, but just hurricanes and then just a handful (don’t really count close calls). With the technology today in forecasting, it makes it easier, but there is still the unknown factor.
Like Biomedtechguy knowing what was vulnerable and moving the car to a safer place was a really good move. Btw, a friend was telling me yesterday that somebody built storage units on high ground near here. But instead of the usual ones, these were built with poured, reinforced concrete, including the roof and then with steel, highly rated doors. These units were selling for 140 to 200k and all sold very quickly. There is apparently plans for more. I guess a lot of people have cars and other things they are concerned about.

For the life of me, I will never ever understand the wearing of Flip/Flops/Shower Clogs!!! They are not suitable footwear at all yet they seem to be worn with just about any and all types. I often wonder, if they had to suddenly take off running for their lives, how many could do so without busting the strap or loosing them while fleeing. Case in point is with the Afghan turmoil at the airport last week, the picture showing all the flip flops and sandals strewn about the tarmac after panic running to get the hell out. Casually around the house or pool then OK. But for the most part, I think not...cr8crshr/Bill:screwy::screwy::screwy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Victor Charles ran real well with sandals. Looks like Taliban do pretty well also.

you pretty much relied on yourself and maybe neighbors to get doable repairs done and be responsible for your property and the needs of your family.
As life should be.

It changed over the years to what can your country do for you
And therein lies the problem. Government should keep us SAFE in our homeland, so we can make our own decisions about how we want to lead a happy and prosperous life. Anything beyond that from the government, is too much.

Best wishes for all affected, hope y'all get sorted out in a reasonable timeframe!

We’re getting the remnants of the storm now with spurts of heavy rain and steady heavy rain on Thursday.
yep NYC & New Jersey got hit
really hard by rains (3" an hr) floods
& NJ a Tornado even

stay safe guys

Victor Charles ran real well with sandals. Looks like Taliban do pretty well also.
???????? Never heard of him!!! Taliban??? They cannot run for crap in the first place...but I digressed and said what I at least felt...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

???????? Never heard of him!!! Taliban??? They cannot run for crap in the first place...but I digressed and said what I at least felt...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

You must be too young, Viet Cong

Heading to Chauvin LA with a load of materials to re-shingle a buddies house.

We are trying to hire a couple young guys for cash to help, any young guys here in the area?

Heading to Chauvin LA with a load of materials to re-shingle a buddies house.

We are trying to hire a couple young guys for cash to help, any young guys here in the area?
Most of us are old farts now.....

Who shouldn't be climbing around on rooftops.
Amen to that!! I covered up the roof turbines on my shop last summer when a storm was getting close and I just left them covered knowing that there would be blue plastic coming off of the after a few months. It's almost all off now lol. Man, I used to walk the rafters like they were flooring when I worked for my dad building houses and now, I get shaky just thinking about going up there!

IMG_6038.JPG
Amen to that!! I covered up the roof turbines on my shop last summer when a storm was getting close and I just left them covered knowing that there would be blue plastic coming off of the after a few months. It's almost all off now lol. Man, I used to walk the rafters like they were flooring when I worked for my dad building houses and now, I get shaky just thinking about going up there!
I used to have turbine vents on my house and I would just hop up there and take them off and put these on when a storm threatened.

I'm fortunate to have great drainage in my relatively newer neighborhood. But, this storm has flooded more in this area than I've ever seen. Lower new york & middle-upper new jersey is like swampland in many areas. Somerset patriots stadium is underwater.

Our NJ basement flooded for the first time in about 6 years; popped the breaker for the water pump. By yesterday morning, water had dropped. Reset the breaker and everything's back to normal.

I saw a CLECO power company van about 3 blocks from my house today. I joked "Whaddaya think? About an hour or 2?" Knowing darn well it's going to be many days to weeks...
They were writing down the power pole number so they can send out repair crews. They had a LOT more to "record". So I'm sure it's a LONG time from now until I have power, since they were still doing "reconnaissance".
I just heard Biden reading what was written for him to say, and of course he's using Ida to spew the mantra of the anti-capitalism "climate change" crap, and push legislation the democrats want.
I'm not going to say anything else about that nor reply to any remarks as I really don't want this thread deleted or moved.

I saw a CLECO power company van about 3 blocks from my house today. I joked "Whaddaya think? About an hour or 2?" Knowing darn well it's going to be many days to weeks...
They were writing down the power pole number so they can send out repair crews. They had a LOT more to "record". So I'm sure it's a LONG time from now until I have power, since they were still doing "reconnaissance".
I just heard Biden reading what was written for him to say, and of course he's using Ida to spew the mantra of the anti-capitalism "climate change" crap, and push legislation the democrats want.
I'm not going to say anything else about that nor reply to any remarks as I really don't want this thread deleted or moved.
I'm listening. :poke::lol:

Fingers crossed for power by tomorrow.
Man, I'd be happy for you...
I just encountered a good news/bad news scenario about 7 minutes from my house. A gas station and convenience store had gasoline, and NO LINE to wait...
Bad news? Premium ONLY and $3.64 a gallon, about 90 cents more per gallon. I went ahead and got $100 worth, which almost filled up the gas containers I brought with me, which is about 7 gallons less than I have readily available containers for.
All in all, I can't complain. My well water pump is working, and I spare the gasoline in the generator that I have dedicated to the water pump by only running it first thing in the morning for animal care and general morning activities. I run it for about 5 minutes when I need to run the pressure back up.
Last night I unplugged a upright freezer and a refrigerator/freezer to save gas, and that works fine.
Some protein drinks at Sam's and oil for a oil change in both generators, and yard work.
That's my Saturday for Labor Day weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back