• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trouble installing headers

you could use one of these.....it helps even if you have to "rent" one

Vito 4-01-13 (1).jpg

Color ado Dave,,, Guess I could read a book, look up directions, , on line, but I came to this site here, iv learded alot on this site most of the time I just read, but the few times I have posted , iv got all the help iv needed, most guys on here are more than happy to send a picture or say somthing that helps me out. Im a pipe fitter /welder, far cry from a mechanic, ,
Thanks to all that reads my post, and relys with words of wisdom Thanks
You Dave can kiss my ***!

Those directions are for **** anyway. I cant ever recall putting on a set of headers via the instructions and having them go right in. Its all comes down to figuring out where they get stuck, how to move whats in the way and turn and twist them to get 'em to fit. Then you get to bolt them to the heads. Have fun!

Rebal , your right , guess it just a tuff job, im taking the day off from it,, id done got mad, thats when I had to just step back, breath hehe,,, my hats off to a guy that does this kinda stuff for a livin, I dont get mad to essy, but darn , id done mashed my finger ,,my help was my b4other , hes all abut betting and banging somthing together , he could brake a anvil, ,, im going back at it Monday ,,

Gwah! I would keep your brother away from MY car! Good luck; think of it this way: the best stuff is a lot of work.....otherwise everyone would have it and it wouldn't be the best anymore.

Damit man, no go , iv got it jacked up high as I can get it with my stands, and jack under moter,, them__&&$€€£/%@+&"(/*!&%÷/ header not going in , looks like iv got to pull the %_££^/^@£"¥$^=^ motor out , I at wits in, dont know what to do now.?[/QUOTE

What a waste of time. I just looked up your headers on Summit's site and by golly, there, right in front of me were complete DIRECTIONS for installing those headers on your car. I'd print them here, but if you're too lazy to look at the directions, you deserve to struggle with the install. I just don't get it. Why come on here and ask questions and bitch about a product when the answer is right in the box with the products? AND, if perchance the directions weren't in the box, WHY NOT GO TO THE SITE YOU BOUGHT THE PRODUCT FROM AND LOOK THERE? Again, a total waste of time...

LMAO, Do you really read directions?????????? To be honest after years of stubbornness I always read the directions anymore because it usually spares me the cussing and it gets done quicker.

Those directions are for **** anyway. I cant ever recall putting on a set of headers via the instructions and having them go right in. Its all comes down to figuring out where they get stuck, how to move whats in the way and turn and twist them to get 'em to fit. Then you get to bolt them to the heads. Have fun!

Hemi Rebel: Check out the directions for the Summit headers he's talking about. If he started there I'll bet he would have way less problems...

- - - Updated - - -

It helps to take out the exhaust manifold studs, If they will come out.

The DIRECTIONS tell you to do this...

No studs, the car had headers on it at one time, my dad had them on when he rebuilt the motor, but It burnt two starters getting to hot, im hoping the ceramic coatting will help,, i was thinkin after I install headers id put some kinda heat sheild ? Maybe shold have left the manifold on it, dad just said that it ran so much better with headrrs,

headers are worth the pain

headers work great when they are in, just a pain to get in there. Are you able to get either of them into place to bolt in? Use anything you can find to rock/lift the engine to get those things into position. Engine hoist, transmission jack, jack and wood block, pry bar.. For a header install, you can't take the easy way out. Use all means necessary to get it in. This is a situation where it helps to have another person around. A 4 ft pry bar works nicely for this task, one person lifts up on the motor at the mount and the other pushes the header into position.

don't get too frustrated with the header, you can end up with a beat up flange that won't mount flush on the head...exhaust leaks! Yes even after you get the headers in you have to bolt them up, which isn't always a walk in the park. I installed mine then had to remove them again because of header leaks, had a warped flange that had to be straightened.

No studs, the car had headers on it at one time, my dad had them on when he rebuilt the motor, but It burnt two starters getting to hot, im hoping the ceramic coatting will help,, i was thinkin after I install headers id put some kinda heat sheild ? Maybe shold have left the manifold on it, dad just said that it ran so much better with headrrs,
I suspect you will like the headers; I pulled headers that had rusted out and put in manifolds once and the engine really took a performance dive. For the heat on the starter, I would be putting on a fabric type of heat wrap in the tubes near to the near the starter; it will do a lot more than anything I have ever used, except for a reflective shield near the starter, which is probably just about impossible here..

cheap brand headers never fit good always hit somewhere or had to ding a tube in somewhere. I put Thorely headers on my indy headed 383 and they fit great. They do not hit anywhere, did not have to ding or smash in any tubes, starter fits in with plenty of room around it and changing the plugs is no problem. In my experience the cheaper headers are not worth it especially if they do not have a 3/8'' thick flange the first time you have to pull a header for any reason the header flange gaskets never seal again because the flanges are not thick enough and you have the annoying header leak the make the car sound like a un-tuned 78 chevy truck with the 1 1/2'' exhaust (that is big pipes for a chevy) duals. Save up and get a good set of headers they are well worth how they fit once in and how nice they clear everything. Good luck getting them in there, take your time and they will eventually go in. Remember to check the headers bolts once you run it a few times after a few heat cycles they will loosen up and need to be retighten. happy moparing

Help,, I know this is a old but im still at it,, heres where I am , iv got the header in on the drivers side,, thats the side the Instructions said start,, iv got the header on bolts snugged up , trouble Iis when I let the jack down , under the motor, to line up the motor mount bolt in,,,, the header is hitting the power steering pump,, well so I was going to put a dent in the header so the motor would drop down,,, I knocked off some of the coatti g off,,, is ther any thing someone can say t8 help,,,,

Help,, I know this is a old but im still at it,, heres where I am , iv got the header in on the drivers side,, thats the side the Instructions said start,, iv got the header on bolts snugged up , trouble Iis when I let the jack down , under the motor, to line up the motor mount bolt in,,,, the header is hitting the power steering pump,, well so I was going to put a dent in the header so the motor would drop down,,, I knocked off some of the coatti g off,,, is ther any thing someone can say t8 help,,,,
man, it's been almost a month since you 1st tried putting on those headers. if it were me, i would send those back and get a pair of Thorely headers as Charger686970 suggested. may cost more, but you probably would have them in by now.

my cheap *** hedman headers fit like a glove and they went in from the top. it took less than 3 hours, and I didn't remove one stud. I did however put one little dent in the #3 tube for the steering box, but I probably didn't have to.

I bought 440, Dougs 2" coated, fit good after disassembly of everything required made it easier, my recommendation for the starter thing is a mini starter, $ 2 to 3 hundred but worth every penny even during installation.

It been a month,, I havent had time to work on this thing,,, Im a pipe fitter and have been working 7 days a week,, im at the bmw plant in Greenville, building a paint booth, a paint both that will put out 700 cars a day,,,, I just start back on it yesterday, , guy a sumit said check the motor mounts, but the motor mounts are fine ,,, guess I need to take the dam th8ngs back off, send back,,..? Wish I had just lefft alonee

how about some pictures and a link for the headers. its not that difficult. I have put on 10 maybe 20 sets of cheap *** long tube headers on big and small block A, B , C body mopars, even an E body or 2. I have never had an issue with any of them. are you sure you have the right headers?

Man that's just crazy! I haven't read all the replies here but they didn't send you the wrong headers for your app did they? You shouldn't be having all this trouble...

Auto Transport Service
Back