• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trouble installing headers

Im thinkin I should shim the motor mou t? I could shiim a little , it would get it off the gear box, but it wouldnt have any room for movement, its got a cam in it and bet itwould hit wile running,,, think I could chang the motor mou ts,

Attachments

• 20140706_105423.jpg
    20140706_105423.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 158
Don't want to come off sounding rude, but shimming the motor mount probably won't solve your problem. And it might have been a small tactical error in buying the cheapest headers you could find. I'm not one to throw money at parts for no reason, but from what I've gathered about these cars and others' experiences, headers are not something to skimp on. Seems to me like you get what you pay for with TTI, Doug's, etc.

I bought cheapo secondhand hedmans (1 7/8" primary, 3" collector) and figure I just lucked out that they went in relatively easy. Only b!tch I have with them is that I have to drop/ back off my trans to change the starter but otherwise everything (narrowly) clears.

If you're dead set on these Summit headers, and it looks to me like that one in your pic is pretty much in place and still not clearing, your only option is to break out a torch and the "primary tube clearancing tool" aka big @ss hammer haha

Either way good luck man!

Ya we live and learn, its going to be hell just getting them back off, iv don e pryed and banged them up so much dout they will exchanged for higher end pipe,, at this point id gladly pay the money,, two weekends down the drain ,,"my head hurts think I need a nap" hehe

Over the years I've found that to get headers in I have to squint my right eye and stick my tongue out the left side of my mouth, call my car a few choice bad names, cut myself open several different times and throw lots of tools... then they slip right into place

(IMO - time to get acquainted with a torch and a hammer like Speedy said if you're sure you want these)

if you are worried about that hitting, squeeze a crowbar in there and make a dimple. believe me , you will forget about it lol

SUMMIT ,, saved the day, just talked to them, new headers on the way, that is a load off my mind, I told the guy I had beat the crap out of them trying to install, he said no trouble ,,,, they've got my business,...I did pay the difference for headman coated ,,

Wow that's great!

When you get your new ones, lay them next to the ones that you've been fighting with and see how they compare...

Good news, good luck...

Good for you. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You must live right...BTW, in case you haven't guessed, I respectfully decline your invitation to "Kiss your *ss".

Well Dave youll have that,, this car means so much to me , and im by no means a mechanic ,, you was right I should have read the instructions, ,,does this mean ill read them from here on out? Probably not hehe

I know it been awile ,, so I gave summit about 50 more dollars for the headman headers , had the same trouble this time I called headman , the teck said I know whats going on we are going to send you a nother header for drivers side,,(now this will be header number 3) So header #3came last week , I had the weekend off , header #3 went right in , no trouble at all,,, Happy days , wile I had the headers off , We taped off everything and painted the block,, I also had some mopar valve covers , I painted them and used a grinder to hit the letters and high parts on the cover,, Now im waiting on UPS with aluminum intake and aluminum water pump herers a few pictures ,,

- - - Updated - - -

Nother

Attachments

• 20140728_155808.jpg
    20140728_155808.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20140728_170426.jpg
    20140728_170426.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 112
They're still a bit tricky. While I agree with Coloradodave they still can be a little painful. I've taken my headers off many times, they've never been a pleasure. I go with the guys above that say to take the starter out and unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine. I've put them in from the top - but an extra pair of hands to manipulate them from the bottom always helps.

While you have the starter out invest a few bucks and buy a hi- torque mini starter from 440 Source.

The headers are on and I have a mini srarter on it,, I hate to think if id had to put a full size starter,, tight but nothing is hitting, man its been a job,

Glad that you got the problem taken care of. Did the Hedman tech tell you what the problem was? Might be good info for others about to purchase headers.

I bet they have so many returns and are so cheap that they keep trying everyone out with the seconds and finally on the 3rd one it slipped in.... they have by now been hardened to nasty phone calls... it's a funny joke to the header folks...

It wasnt 3 sets of headmans, only two, the first was set#1Summit name brand they hit on the steering box,, I call summit ask it I wanted my money back or another brand header,, I gave them about 50 dollars more for Hedman set #2 part number 78036 well the brivers side hit not only the steering box, heck ithit everything so , I called Hedman and talk to a teck , told him the car 70 ect,, part number that summit sent, he said it was the right part, I told him no somthings wrong , then he put on hold for a few min, when he cane back on phone , iv got a nother header #3 for the drivers side im sending it out,, I ask what what you think this en is a bad header? He Sa id no just that he sending a nother header,, header #3 went right in no trouble,, now it does have a different part number

Attachments

• 20140728_211127.jpg
    20140728_211127.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 122
Auto Transport Service
Back