• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truck in for service: No loaner vehicles available.

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Monday at noon I took my 2013 F-150 with 3.5 liter ecoboost engine in to have the timing chains replaced. It made it to 143K thanks to the previous owner's diligence having the oil changed every 5K miles.

I was told due to customers crashing their loaners that none were available for a about 4 weeks since most of them were in the body shop for repairs.

They gave me a ride home. Now I'm waiting for the diagnosis and approval for covered repairs from the Vehicle Service Agreement company (AKA Extended warranty) before I can get a rental car reimbursement.

You'll have that. People drive like idiots especially when the car is different than theirs or simply not theirs.

Last loaner I drove I had to sit in it for 15 minutes learning where all the controls were. I had to Google to find the parking brake release.

Sucks when people ruin the loaner program. What warranty provider do you have?

Reliance Protection administration is by Smart Autocare of Richardson, TX.

It was the only one offered.

And to get a loaner without a loaner program you just about have to know someone higher up at the dealership and even then, the loaner might be a POS that they don't care about lol

Wow, the last work I had done at the dealer, they practically forced a loaner on me because they didn't have a large enough hose clamp to replace the one they broke for the airbox. I declined and that clamp is still missing and unnecessary. They wanted to keep it over the weekend.

No loaner at my local Ford dealership, I walk right out of the service department to sales and tell a salesman to throw a dealer plate on "that blue XLT" while pointing out the window and leave in same..

No loaner at my local Ford dealership, I walk right out of the service department to sales and tell a salesman to throw a dealer plate on "that blue XLT" while pointing out the window and leave in same..
:rofl: :rofl:

Sounds like you are in good standing with that dealership lol

There is an advantage to living in rural PA and driving a Lexus. The nearest dealer is half an hour away. To get the upscale crowd in State College, they deliver a new Lexus to the house when one of our cars gets a rare trip to the dealership. Wife fills it with gas before they return our car, and swap out. We never have to leave our driveway, and compared to other stuff I've seen posted here, their shop is good, as well as cheap.

There is an advantage to living in rural PA and driving a Lexus. The nearest dealer is half an hour away. To get the upscale crowd in State College, they deliver a new Lexus to the house when one of our cars gets a rare trip to the dealership. Wife fills it with gas before they return our car, and swap out. We never have to leave our driveway, and compared to other stuff I've seen posted here, their shop is good, as well as cheap.
I've noticed over the years that the upper end owners get better treatment from the dealership but then so will customers that have bought several cars from a particular dealership. At one point I was sending customers to a buddy of mine that was a fleet director and he treated me pretty good for that. Generally, people who work at a dealership try not to 'deal' with friends and family of friends.

I've noticed over the years that the upper end owners get better treatment from the dealership but then so will customers that have bought several cars from a particular dealership. At one point I was sending customers to a buddy of mine that was a fleet director and he treated me pretty good for that. Generally, people who work at a dealership try not to 'deal' with friends and family of friends.
Back in the day, Clark Motor Company gave my dad the red carpet treatment, even though he drove bare bones Plymouths. But he traded every three years, and spent a ton in the service department for his older, second cars, as well as referring lots of Penn State people to the dealership over the years. The Lexus dealer competes with a BMW/Toyota dealer five minutes from my home. They seem to treat their upscale and down market customers equally poorly. I quit driving Toyotas 15 years ago because of them, and my wife has a close friend who is ready to ditch her BMW for the same reason.

This is because you are a baller. A shot caller. All other men are smaller.

Sounds like you are in good standing with that dealership lol
LOL... I actually hold them to this day that their parts guy was using my 1990 TBird Supercoupe to make a parts run to Barrie and back during the 3+ weeks it was in waiting for an A/C pump in 1993. Our kids rode the bus to school and my Son kept saying "I saw your car again this morning" and I'd say na... that's just Tom's car from K&B Tools, down the street from our plant, His is an automatic though. He'd retort with "NO it's your car... front left drivers fender the yellow is showing out of the black rubber trim". Na... I go to pick the car up when it's finally done and it has 475KM more on it than when I dropped it off. I've reminded the NOW service manager.. the then "kid" on the service desk.. that said it never happened, at least once a year of that event. I have zero issues!

If they'd only known I was hauling bags of cement in the trunk of their loaner Focus during that time to cement in my windsock towers... LMAO !

Funny story about a loaner car I got once....back in 1989/1990, I had just discharged from the Navy and bought a new Volkswagen Golf. Immediately upon driving off the lot it was apparent something was wrong with the car. I turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They provided me loaner while they fixed my new VW. The loaner was a Peugeot of some sort. I thought it was odd that there were books and kids toys in the back seat, but drove it home anyway. That night, I received a call from the dealership stating they needed me to bring the car back right away. I told them I was unavailable to bring it back, but if they wanted to send someone out with a replacement car I would be home to swap keys. No one ever came, and I drove the Peugeot for about a week before I turned it back in when my car was ready. I always wondered what they told the owner of the Peugeot.

Funny story about a loaner car I got once....back in 1989/1990, I had just discharged from the Navy and bought a new Volkswagen Golf. Immediately upon driving off the lot it was apparent something was wrong with the car. I turned around and brought it back to the dealership. They provided me loaner while they fixed my new VW. The loaner was a Peugeot of some sort. I thought it was odd that there were books and kids toys in the back seat, but drove it home anyway. That night, I received a call from the dealership stating they needed me to bring the car back right away. I told them I was unavailable to bring it back, but if they wanted to send someone out with a replacement car I would be home to swap keys. No one ever came, and I drove the Peugeot for about a week before I turned it back in when my car was ready. I always wondered what they told the owner of the Peugeot.
LOL!! This could probably make a new thread about loaner cars LOL!

Getting loaners has been hit & miss. Years ago, when our Intrigue had to go to a Caddy dealer for major repairs, go figure, they gave me a new CTS for the two weeks and didn't buy the car there, never had dealt with them. When I hit a deer last spring, the body shop (know the owner well) let me use one of the cars he had for sale. Few other occasions though when all the loaners were loaned out at the shop I usually go to.

Given my experiences last year, the deer hit and a nimrod rear-ending my truck when the other car was in for repairs, checked out my auto policy to see if they provided coverage for rental in cases of accidents. Nope, they will provide for 52-bucks a year and thinking I may do. Didn’t like the idea that my only ride I had available was my ’63.

we work with a dealer in the burbs . small guy , owner still sells cars and answers the phone . great guy ! if we need a loaner he just throws plates on something in the lot. wife kinda been looking for a newer car so it’s a good chance to get in a extended test drive . she always puts in some gas as a thank you …

Auto Transport Service
Back