• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk gutters

Moparkrazed

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking at the Dutchman panel and trunk gutters on my 71 charger. I’d like to replace the Dutchman when I go to replace the quarters but my driver side gutter is looking rough. It looks like the prior owner tried to pack body filler in where the quarter and trunk gutter meet. The quarter panel is getting replaced but should I replace the full gutter if the quarter is rotted where it turns down into the gutter ( let me know if that makes sense). I’m not sure where the quarter begins and the gutter starts. I do need to replace the metal where the gutter turns to go under the Dutchman as both sides are rusted through and was covered with body filler.

Can’t really advise as to whether to replace or how much of gutter to repair…..but just wanted you to be aware and careful that the partial VIN is located on the driver side gutter (underneath weatherstrip). If you need to replace or repair, graft that into the new piece to keep the cars authenticity.

****Correction….I might be wrong about the VIN being onbthe trunk gutter for ‘71. I know it is for ‘68-70. But I would check anyway and I am sure the people more in the know of ‘71-74 will correct if i am wrong.

Last edited:
replace the gutter...... it's less work, less spot welds, less aggravation

no need to separate a rotted gutter from a rotted dutchman and a rotted quarter......... it can all come off in big sections

Can’t really advise as to whether to replace or how much of gutter to repair…..but just wanted you to be aware and careful that the partial VIN is located on the driver side gutter (underneath weatherstrip). If you need to replace or repair, graft that into the new piece to keep the cars authenticity.

****Correction….I might be wrong about the VIN being onbthe trunk gutter for ‘71. I know it is for ‘68-70. But I would check anyway and I am sure the people more in the know of ‘71-74 will correct if i am wrong.
Thanks for the heads up on that AA1.

replace the gutter...... it's less work, less spot welds, less aggravation

no need to separate a rotted gutter from a rotted dutchman and a rotted quarter......... it can all come off in big sections
Thankfully it looks like the gutter is good. The Dutchman I’m getting has the upper gutter so I’ll replace all of that. Whoever had the car before me tried to put body filler in the rusted gap between the quarter and driver gutter, looks like the gutter is good but quarter is shot and Dutchman is rotted and the turndowns to the gutters are rotted but that’s included in the Dutchman I’m getting.

Auto Transport Service
Back