• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Lid Raised on Left Side.

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

When I got caught in the monsoon coming back from Carlisle, there was standing water in the trunk.

I have an approx. 0.3" gap between the trunk lid and the fender on the left side and 0.1" on the right side. I also have approx. 0.1" difference between the bottom of the trunk lid and the top of the fender on the left side. Right side is flush. See pics.

A few questions:

1) Can I simply loosen the bolts for the trunk lid and the mount and slightly lower the left side? This will get it flush.

2) Is there something I can put on the weatherstripping around the trunck so that when I close it, I can easily see where the trunk is touching hte weatherstripping or not?

3) How do you move the entire trunk lid side-to-side? If I move it 0.1" from right to left, that will even up the gaps all the way around.

Thanks in advance!!!
Bob
Super Bee Trunk (1).JPG
Super Bee Trunk (2).JPG
Super Bee Trunk (3).JPG
Super Bee Trunk (4).JPG
Super Bee Trunk (5).JPG

loosen the bolts that hold the "striker"..... the thing inside on the verticle brace inside the tail panel.......looks like you need to raise the latch and move the striker a little left

striker will give you left to right, the latch on the lid gives you up and down........do one at a time

there should be little rubber stops to limit how low the trunk lid can sit, you want to be sitting on both of them, but not too tight......just enough so the lid wont rattle

Thanks! I’ll play with the striker to move it left 0.1”.

As far as the height, I’m only high on the left (driver’s side) corner by what I believe is called the Dutchman Panel. (Closest to the rear window). It’s pretty flush everywhere else. Can I loosen the mounting bolts and move the trunk lid down 0.1” that way?

As far as testing the seal, anything I can put on the weatherstripping to see where the trunk lid does/does not meet the weatherstripping?

Thanks!!

Thanks! I’ll play with the striker to move it left 0.1”.

As far as the height, I’m only high on the left (driver’s side) corner by what I believe is called the Dutchman Panel. (Closest to the rear window). It’s pretty flush everywhere else. Can I loosen the mounting bolts and move the trunk lid down 0.1” that way?

As far as testing the seal, anything I can put on the weatherstripping to see where the trunk lid does/does not meet the weatherstripping?

Thanks!!

if it's high at the front corner........ yes, but only loosen one at a time, probably only the front bolt (circled)....... it will allow you to pull the lid down a bit

if the front bolt is all the way down, do the opposite to the other bolt

trnk.jpg

Weather stripping looks like it's in good shape. Minor thing is the gap where they meet over the latch. Heavy rain and wind action might bring some seepage there but likely not as much as you're describing. You could try a coat of Vaseline on the strip and see of you find areas on the lid with none a that on it...

Open the trunk, go to the pass side, and give the lid a shove. You will be amazed how easily you can center the trunk lid gaps. This is how they did it on the assy line...

At night in the dark, someone shines a bright light on the trunk while you're inside. Or, they can hold a water hose along the trunk from top to bottom, and you can see where it drips inside.

Can’t tell you how many times old rides didn’t have nicely mated lines back when. My 73 Challenger and 70 Cuda hoods never set perfectly. My 63 deck lid has a bit of a rise on the left rear. Lid has been set and reset obtaining nice lines left/right, front – far as MO goes – it is the lid. Not to say it might have been damaged trying to close it with stuff in the trunk somewhere in the 30 years before I bought it.

Last edited:
Other possible, check the weather stripping adhesion. All glued down where you can lift it with your fingers? Had that hassle. Adhesive ages and loses adhesion. In the rain a ton of water flows down the channels and if the stripping isn't adhering a point of entry for H2O..

Looks better than mine. It’s a factory “characteristic.

Auto Transport Service
Back