• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trunk weatherstrip

charger10

Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
1967 charger ready to put weatherstrip on trunk. any helpful pointers? I don't understand the instructions in manual where it shows the joint - is there a 1/4" overlap or space? I have a tube of the 3m weatherstrip adhesive and the weather strip is supersoft brand.
thanks

When I installed my new trunk weather strip I left a small gap at center bottom for drainage. After applying the adhesive I taped the strip approx every 6 inches to keep it in place.

When I installed my new trunk weather strip I left a small gap at center bottom for drainage. After applying the adhesive I taped the strip approx every 6 inches to keep it in place.
sounds good, thks.

Also take some alcohol or wax and grease remover and wipe down the new rubber before you glue it one. It will adhere much better if you clean it

Don't use tape it can stick to the rubber and peel the rubber off get the cheap small plastic clamps. Read the instructions on the 3m they put it on both sides light don't need a lot make sure you know how the weatherstrip goes on it is messy to clean up.

Don't use tape it can stick to the rubber and peel the rubber off get the cheap small plastic clamps. Read the instructions on the 3m they put it on both sides light don't need a lot make sure you know how the weatherstrip goes on it is messy to clean up.
I was wondering about how it goes on, from service manual it appears the flat side down and the side with the groove in it would go to the outside? sound right?

There was a recent episode of 'GEARZ' that showed how to use weatherstrip adhesive. It is like a contact adhesive, you need to put it on the body and weatherstripping and let it get tacky before putting them together. Look for a youtube video for reference. Good luck.

There was a recent episode of 'GEARZ' that showed how to use weatherstrip adhesive. It is like a contact adhesive, you need to put it on the body and weatherstripping and let it get tacky before putting them together. Look for a youtube video for reference. Good luck.
ok, thks. anyone have a picture on how the sides of weather strip look on car.

Auto Transport Service
Back