• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to piece together some rear drum brakes from a pile of parts!

I put out an email to all the members in our Sacramento Mopar club asking for rear drum brake parts.
A former resident that moved to Texas responded...he has drums on 2 of his 1962 axles.
Great...The ONLY one to respond is over 1400 miles away and had the wrong style!

I put out an email to all the members in our Sacramento Mopar club asking for rear drum brake parts.
A former resident that moved to Texas responded...he has drums on 2 of his 1962 axles.
Great...The ONLY one to respond is over 1400 miles away and had the wrong style!

1962 axels are tapered with hub type drums.

I know, I re-read your post :rolleyes:

Just having fun, my friend!

You could message @hemi71x and see if he has any. He sells lots of refurbished brake parts and also suspension on here. I've bought from him before and I'll give him a good rating. You could ask about what other years work. I know a lot of late 70s trucks and other chrysler bodys with different axels were still using these parts, I just don't know which ones.

As far as brake drums go, I bought mine from NAPA. Other outfits have them also.

You could message @hemi71x and see if he has any

Ha ha.jpg

He and I have had a feud going on several years.
I used to see him at the junkyards and swap meets frequently. I was always treated rudely when I tried to talk to him.
He is a crotchety, grouchy curmudgeon. Sure, he is smart and knowledgeable but is also a crabby guy to be around. I gave up trying to be nice to him.
Once about 5 years ago at Moparts I considered giving him 20 lower control arms I had collected from parting out cars. He restores them for sale and I thought he might appreciate the offer. He had me blocked so from then on, I have nothing nice to say about him.

View attachment 923877

He and I have had a feud going on several years.
I used to see him at the junkyards and swap meets frequently. I was always treated rudely when I tried to talk to him.
He is a crotchety, grouchy curmudgeon. Sure, he is smart and knowledgeable but is also a crabby guy to be around. I gave up trying to be nice to him.
Once about 5 years ago at Moparts I considered giving him 20 lower control arms I had collected from parting out cars. He restores them for sale and I thought he might appreciate the offer. He had me blocked so from then on, I have nothing nice to say about him.

I believe I read one of your post about this!

Never mind! :lol:

rockauto sells individual drum brake components

cheap

Speaking of brake parts, I can no longer find, locally, name brand brake components. Even if they are made off shore, the name brands are made to their specs, and the stuff I have been finding is marginal at best. ( O'rileys- Car quest - etc. ) Gripes me when the counter person says " OH, this is Borg Warner, just in a different box" Rock Auto gives a choice, but I don't want to wait for days to get parts I need now.......................MO.

The rusted one you have pictured is 1970 and newer hardware. Up to late 70 somewhere, unsure exactly.

Top picture below is a 1967 10” with the wheel cylinder removed, everything else is in place.

note the difference in the cable end and the lever for self adjusting. Here it has a tab that goes into a hole. On 70 and newer there is a pivot pin pounded in the shoe and the lever is flat.

bottom picture is a 1978 Fury 11”.

note how the park brake lever attaches to the shoe. 1967 has a pin through the shoe with a U shaped retainer clip with the tails bent to retain it in a groove. 1978 has a rectangular hole with a tab that goes through. Yellow circle.

View attachment 923480 View attachment 923481 View attachment 923484

....damn, that's some spot on ID'ing there sir.

To recap, I am still looking for 10" rear drum brakes for some axles I have out back.
I was online yesterday and saw that the Pick-N-Pull website inventory listed a Chrysler Fifth Avenue nearby.
I did confirm that even though it had a 7 1/4" axle, it did have the backing plate design that I needed. 10" finned drums and complete inside with everything that I needed. All these years, these cars have cycled through these yards and I had ignored them except for the front disc brake assemblies. I always thought that they had a different bolt pattern for the backing plates.
They still did their usual bullshit itemizing of all the individual parts and it cost me $101. Everything is in great condition as well to the point where I can actually just clean them up a bit and use them as is.
Score !
There are 2 more of these cars within 90 miles of here. It is tempting to go out and get them while they are available. I'd love to wait until they have their half-price weekend specials but I am to the point where the stuff I need is in limited supply. I have to grab it when I can find it.

What year 5th Ave?

99% of the ones I've seen have 8 1/4 axles.
(which interchange with 8 3/4 brakes)

The Diplomats and Gran Fury 1980-89 that were Police and Taxicabs seemed to all be 8 1/4" axles but the Fifth Avenues were luxury cruisers. I have yet to see one with an 8 1/4" axle.
The one today was a 7 1/4".
The brakes look pretty nice:
5 th 1.jpg
5th 2.jpg

The drums are not grooved or scored.
I started looking through my pile of parts. Springs, cables, pins and retainers, adjusters, wheel cylinders....
I have stuff from 9, 10 and 11" brakes and I don't know which is which.
The easy thing to do is to just bide my time and do what I did today: Wait until another car comes in and pull the parts from it.
This goes against my nature though. I have all these parts here and I'm only missing a few key components.
I have these adjusters but there are a couple different designs.
DA 1.jpg
DA 2.jpg

Note the ones on the left have a long body with the star wheel and a short screw section threaded into it. The ones on the right have the star wheel as part of the screw and a longer threaded collar.
Which one is correct for 10" brakes?
DA 5.jpg

Looking at the picture above, at least I know a 1986 Fifth Avenue used the adjuster similar to the three on the left. Did earlier cars use the other design?

I own an 86 5th ave and have known two friends with them.

All 8 1/4.

Every one I've seen at a junk yard was 8 1/4 as well.

For a time I harvested and sold their 15x7 steel wheels.

Was the 7 1/4 even produced in the 80's?

I have seen just a couple slant six powered 5th Ave's but did not look at the axles.

I own an 86 5th ave and have known two friends with them.

All 8 1/4.

Every one I've seen at a junk yard was 8 1/4 as well.

For a time I harvested and sold their 15x7 steel wheels.

Was the 7 1/4 even produced in the 80's?
Uhhh, obviously it was. The 318/904 7 1/4" car I worked on yesterday had a 2.24 axle and a tiny ring gear. I have owned several of all sizes of Mopar axles. I'm keenly aware of the shape of the 8 1/4 differential cover.

I found an '86 Chrysler Fifth Avenue at a self serve yard a couple of weeks ago. I got the drum assemblies from it.
5th 2.jpg

Nice shoes, drums have no grooves. $101 with tax, fees and core charges.
This past Sunday, I picked up some internal parts to help complete the build of another pair of drums.
I need a couple of those parking brake adjuster cables with the eyelet on the top and the weird spring bracket at the bottom.
DA 3.jpg

While at the junkyard, I saw a Jeep Liberty with rear drums. I thought that they were all rear disc.
Brakes F.jpg

Check out the orientation of the parking brake cable...

Brakes H.jpg

It comes in from behind instead from the front like every other car and truck used to. Strange...

Auto Transport Service
Back