• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tubes or no Tubes?

wedge5

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Just like it says. Should I run tubes or not. Strip car only(slicks)

Depends on you and your car. I run tubes and screws and not very much air and it works for me

Are the slicks better now so the air doesn't seep through the rubber anymore?

My Hoosier's I run without tubes and they hold air all year. The M/T slicks I had I used tubes as they would loose air real fast and I mean in 1/2 hr they would drop from 15 psi to 10 or less so it was tubes in the M/T's. Ron

No tubes! The only thing they're good for is adding additional weight! If they seep air like M/T is known for, just take a rag and wipe Dawn dish soap inside them on the sidewalls.

I guess it's personal preference. I've been doing this for forty years and have always run tubes.

They say no tubes might be a couple of hundredths quicker, and that is probably true. But, unless you are a class guy where every hundredth counts, I still like the tubes.

For me there is a safety question. I may be wrong, but I think that the tubes add just a bit of cushion.

My two cents.

Auto Transport Service
Back