• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dougs headers with 2" tubes

Moms68

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I am building a 440 for my 68 Charger. It is a 9.5-10 compression motor with:

.030 over Icon IC9953 pistons
Eagle H beam rods
Comp cam 21-224-4 hydraulic cam
Hughes lifters
440 Source heads- mildly worked (cleaned up)
Edelebrock Performer RPM with a 780 Quick fuel carb
727 with 2200 stall converter

This will be a street car fun cruiser.

Would the Dougs D452 headers will 2" primary tubes be too large for the motor?

I would say “yes”. They won’t hurt, but maybe a smaller primary tube would be better

Street use typically go smaller tubes for best torque and you will only lose a small amount of HP up in the higher RPM.
Size the header for were the engine will spend most of it's life.

I've run 2" but for a higher modified engine than yours. I'd go 1 7/8", 3" collectors, into a 2 1/2" system, in case you decide to improve in the future.

I run 2" also ... on a 526 stroker with .600" roller.

A .030 over 440 with 440Source heads is basically a stock motor with a bit of a cam. Personally I think you'd be better off with the smaller header.

See if you can find an antiquated version of Desktop Dyno for free and run the combo through it.

Do you already have the headers?

I've run two inch headers on a small block, along with a 3 1/2 mufflers and exhaust system. Didn't work at all. Kept the car from running any faster than nines, thru the mufflers. (Heavy dose of sarcasm).
A 2 1/4 might be too large, a 2 3/8 probably is. I'd run the 2" without a second thought.

Summit Racing has Doug‘s headers on sale. Grab a 10% off coupon, and it sweetens the deal.

Every, EVERY header test I've ever seen, too small a header hurt much worse than a too big one. And the last header test I saw that had a clearly-too-big header, it took a 2 3/8 header to be too big on a warmed-up 454 Chevy. 2 and 2 1/4 were a push, and 1 7/8 was too small, and a 1 3/4 was a pathetic joke. (Minus about 30 hp).

I've got the same headers on a 426 W - similar combo as you and it's got tons of torque. Doug's has nice stuff, well made and generally fit good. I don't think they offer a 1 7/8 primary for your car, but I may be wrong. I don't think 2 inch is going to hurt you.

I have the 452;s on my 63 Polara 440 with a 750 dp on a RPM, CNC Stealths, Isky 292-242@50 108LSA. Flat tops with .039 gasket. 3000 stall and 2.94 gears. So yes it’s not a beast with these gears. But hit the pedal hard and 1st is a smoke show. Great fit with p/s.

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

Summit Racing has Doug‘s headers on sale. Grab a 10% off coupon, and it sweetens the deal.
Well that's the opportunity I'm thinking about taking advantage of right now. Looking at about 750 delivered vs. over a grand for TTI's. Just trying to justify the extra money if I won't see much of a difference. Thanks to all.

I would prefer the 2" Doug's over 1 7/8 tti's if they were the same price. To me,then,saving a couple hundred bucks makes it a no-brainer.
(I had a friend with a warmed over 440 (still 906 heads) in a 70 duster, with a good stall speed converter, and a 4.10 Dana. It had custom semi-fenderwell headers, in 2 1/4", with a four inch collector and primary pipe, necked down at the rear axle for a 3"turbo muffler. It was a beast! The headers are still hanging in my garage. Honestly, they ARE probably too big for a440. Now, a nasty
512? Hmmm.)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back