• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuning BBD carb on 318

clemul

Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Carter BBD 2 barrel Carb on my 67 belvedere 318. I just cleaned it and rebuilt it with a rebuild kit. Engines runs nicely but carb needs to be tuned, more specifically the mixture screws need to be adjusted as carb was messed with by previous owner and smells like it is running rich. I have the factory service manual but i have to dig deep to find it due to a recent move.

Can anybody guide me or offer rundown or shortcuts to tune these carbs? Can anyone offer rough setting on mixture screws and technique to adjust? Thanks..Nothing can replace the advice of the experienced and the passsed on knowledge on this board is awesome. Thanks for any and all advice !!

It is thecarb as this one:

http://musclecars.net/parts/Carter-...hrysler-318-engine-For-Sale_260454970722.html

Interested as well...I have a BBD on my slant 6 "super six" and would love to get it tuned just right.

Mine was on a 1970,good carb. Always set ignition timing first. Turn two idle mixture screws in snug, not tight, then back out 1 1/2 turns. Using a tach to get highest RPM or better a vacum gauge to achieve the most vacum, turn one screw in or out and see what happens, if it gets worse go the other way. Each time you see an improvement reset idle RPM and adjust mixture screws again until turning it either way results in less RPM or vacum. Right in the middle is the sweet spot. If you experience any off idle lag, move the accelerator pump actuator rod to the inner most hole closest to lever pivot. This will lengthen and quicken the pump stroke. The rod may have to be rebent so the bowl vent (round thing) is slightly off it's seat when throttle is at idle, it should move down and cover the vent hole as the throttle is moved open. Any choke adjustments should come from your manual to match that specific vehicle. If you need I could give them for the 1970, but it just might create another problem. Good Luck.

Thanks much for taking time to respond....made a huge difference. Cant believe its the same car..thanks again, your sharing of knowledge helped me lots and will probably help those who search in future tons too...:toast::VB toast:

Auto Transport Service
Back