• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tunnel Ram and Mechanical Fuel Pump Question

67Satty

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Can a Carter M6903 mechanical fuel pump adequately feed a tunnel ram and two Holley 1850 600s on a mild (425 hp or so) 440? I have 3/8" pickup and line from the stock tank to the carb.

Or, if the Carter M6903 isn't up to snuff, is there another mechanical fuel pump that would do the job? Any real world experiences with something like this? I don't want to run an electric pump for a variety of reasons. Thanks!

Ran a Holley blue (110gph) on a Weiand TR with 2 750's on top and that car ran 10.60's. It was on the very edge with it tho but it would make a full pass even tho the carbs were running out of fuel and the psi was 0 as it crossed the line but had to run a higher bowl to do it so I had to be really smooth on my burnout or it would slosh over if I stopped too fast and make it die. What are you doing with the car? If you ain't trying to do what I was doing, it should work.

Thanks for the replies so far, I should add that I run 1/8 mile with this thing. The way things are going in SoCal, I doubt it will ever run down a 1/4 mile track.

i've been taking those 6903's apart and done some reworking and testing. there around a 5.5-6lb pump. i've done some free flow testing, but not at high rpm. i wasn't overly impressed with flow or pressure in stock configuration but they are a good reliable pump. i have a 4862 high pressure pump that i did the same testing with and was really impressed with it, but at 9psi it'll need a regulator.

a "real"--- Race Pump RPU-2000

Can a Carter M6903 mechanical fuel pump adequately feed a tunnel ram and two Holley 1850 600s on a mild (425 hp or so) 440? I have 3/8" pickup and line from the stock tank to the carb.

Or, if the Carter M6903 isn't up to snuff, is there another mechanical fuel pump that would do the job? Any real world experiences with something like this? I don't want to run an electric pump for a variety of reasons. Thanks!

Here you go... you asked for a real mechanical "racing" fuel pump... Race Pump brand RPU-2000 for Big Block Mopars capable of 450gph @ 50psi, piston style race pump, almost any fuel capable, you will need A/N fittings hoses & a bypass style fuel regulator {or fuel log} & a by-pass hose back to the fuel tank... they aren't cheap @ $319.95, but are a real race pump, are extremely reliable, very little to ever go wrong, also are capable of almost any type fuel system you put on-top of you BB Mopar, short of Nitro Methane, they don't rob power at all, they don't wear out camshafts or the fuel eccentrics or actuation rods, either, they are far superior to any other "so called" mechanical race fuel pumps, other than a Waterman, Enderle or Hilborn Etc. or some other camshaft direct &/or belt driven style modular race fuel pump... Summit Racing has them in stock... I also recommend you get a quality fuel pressure gauge, to monitor what the fuel system is doing, although with this RPU-2000 pump you probably won't ever need to worry about it, after you set the fuel pressure initially... good luck racing isn't cheap if you want to do it right...

- - - Updated - - -

One the last things you really want to do, is run a race engine lean, fuel starving the engine on a full throttle pass, burning plugs pistons rings valves etc., then ultimately you will have death smoke out the rear & hurt the internals & cost a bunch more $$$ than buying the right stuff & doing it right the 1st time, IMHFO more engine damage is done to many "real race engines", from lean conditions, than granading them because of parts {results of leaning them out too much, or running out of adequate fuel supply, way too many times too} or oil failures....

Attachments

• Holley - Race Pump Brand BB Mopar 450gph 50psi rpu-2000_w $319.95.jpg
    Holley - Race Pump Brand BB Mopar 450gph 50psi rpu-2000_w $319.95.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 547
  • Aeromotive A1000 Carbureted Bypass Regulator $163.99 Jegs.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 354
attachment.jpg

those are damn nice pumps, i know 2 guys that run them, one is on a mid 10sec street car, the other is on a low 9 sec bracket car.

Man...i wish i'd have gotten 1 of those instead im playing the- enderle/hilborn belt dri en fuel pump game & i still havent gotten my fuel system finished yet (almost now tho-thank the Lord) i still think im gonna look into getting 1.... & thats cheap for a pump of that caliber....i have over $1,250.00 in 2 pumps.. that i havent even run yet..

Man...i wish i'd have gotten 1 of those instead im playing the- enderle/hilborn belt dri en fuel pump game & i still havent gotten my fuel system finished yet (almost now tho-thank the Lord) i still think im gonna look into getting 1.... & thats cheap for a pump of that caliber....i have over $1,250.00 in 2 pumps.. that i havent even run yet..

If your going to run Mech. FI, I would stick with the Enderle pump, or you will end up being on your own for tech support, experimenting on your own... What pump is it you using 80/80a or 110/110a which size style ?? I'm just curious... If your running carbs, need allot of fuel to feed dual carbs, have a way to bypass fuel back to the cell/fuel tank, then the Race Pump is a great pump, with proper bypass valve or bypass style regulator...

What did the 426 hemi and the 427 Ford medium riser or high riser (like in the T bolt Fairlanes) come with? Most likely a mechanical.

Im not sure if im going to use my 80A-1 or this other one....think its a hilborn both flowed by fowler 6.34 lbs. @ 4,000 rpm..and i have a enderle bird catcher now...had dual 1150 hp's on it with x2 holley black pumps & a mallory boost referenced regulator.....worked pretty good.....never had any full throttle runs in her yet tho.. hopefully this season..... got a base line tune up & just need to finish fuel system up now...dual cells ect..

Im not sure if im going to use my 80A-1 or this other one....think its a hilborn both flowed by fowler 6.34 lbs. @ 4,000 rpm..and i have a enderle bird catcher now...had dual 1150 hp's on it with x2 holley black pumps & a mallory boost referenced regulator.....worked pretty good.....never had any full throttle runs in her yet tho.. hopefully this season..... got a base line tune up & just need to finish fuel system up now...dual cells ect..

What type fuel will be used, Gas or Alcohol/Methanol ?? what type size nozzles & where are they ?? under the hat only, or do you have port nozzles too ??... Good choice with the hat instead, of carbs, but for gas even blown gas a Bug Catcher is plenty big enough even... Bird Catcher is for Big Alcohol Engines, but can still work, that's allot of air flow... The 80A-1 sounds like a Hilborn {A is for alcohol} part, Enderle Kinsler Hilborn Fowler Crower etc. all will use them, the style shape size spool/Barrel valve & bypasses & type of lines & distribution block & rate of flow/type of fuel % @ the barrel valve & bypassed off @ idle, will all determine allot of what will & won't work... do you have some sort of mechanical fuel shut-off valve cable & lever & bypass back to a cell ??, I hope so or it will just dup allot of fuel into the blower/manifold at ignition shut down... especially with a blown engine... Do you have a way to prime it for easy starts ?? or you just plan on cranking it tell you get fuel up there... remember you don't/won't have an accelerator pump any more... you can always prime it with a small squirt bottle of gas, before you get in to start it... Good Luck have fun...

Attachments

• Fuel Injection Hilborn FI Mechanical Fuel Pump #2.jpg
    Fuel Injection Hilborn FI Mechanical Fuel Pump #2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Fuel Injection Hilborn FI Mechanical Fuel Pump.jpg
    Fuel Injection Hilborn FI Mechanical Fuel Pump.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Fuel Injection Hilborn Belt Driven Fuel Pump.jpg
    Fuel Injection Hilborn Belt Driven Fuel Pump.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Fuel Injection Kinsler Hilborn Pump Mechanical Fuel Injection.jpg
    Fuel Injection Kinsler Hilborn Pump Mechanical Fuel Injection.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 431
  • Fuel Injection Idle Bypass or Highspeed Bypass with plill & presure springs.jpg
    Fuel Injection Idle Bypass or Highspeed Bypass with plill & presure springs.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Fuel Injection fed to forward resevoir Complete system Plumbing & parts.jpg
    Fuel Injection fed to forward resevoir Complete system Plumbing & parts.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Fuel Injection Barrel valve-spool for Hat.jpg
    Fuel Injection Barrel valve-spool for Hat.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Fuel Injection Barrel valve-spool & distibution block.jpg
    Fuel Injection Barrel valve-spool & distibution block.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 363
  • Fuel Injection Nozzles.jpg
    Fuel Injection Nozzles.jpg