• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TUNNEL RAM W/ 2 4 BARREL CARBS FOR THE STREET

inthe9s

Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
I really want to run a tunnel ram with dual quads on my street driven car. Anybody here have any experience with running one on the street? Ive seen only two people that i know with them and they both ran very well with few or no driveability problems. I would like to hear from members here if anyone has suggestions? Tips? What carbs did you use? etc Oh also the car has a 440 with 10 to 1 compression, 452 heads with 2.14 and 1.74 valves installed, pocket ported, hydraulic cam with .540 lift and 252 duration @.050, headers, 3 inch exhaust, jacobs ignition, holley 850 annular and single plane aluminum intake, barry grant electric fuel pump with return style regulator, running a 727 with transgo valve body kit in it and a 4.56 on a trac lock

That combo will work just fine with a TR.
Don’t overthink it.

Weiand TR, 2 x 600 Ede carbs…..no problemo.

Actually, If you’re looking for “other than” carter style carbs, I think QFT has some 600-ish carbs designed for dual quad use.

Edit- looks like they’re 450’s:

Dual 600's with vac secondaries OR dual 450's - nobody will know the difference looking at them. Mild big blocks - I consider yours mild - don't like huge carbs or mechanical secondaries. Will they work - with enough screwing around and $$ in parts, sure. But wouldn't you rather just drive the car ?!?!

Regarding the QF 450's. It's no 440 Dodge but I have them on a little 327 with an old school 280 Isky Mega (108lsa / choppy idle / 10.5" vacuum) and it is very responsive and no tip-in stumble. That's running a straight linkage and a 25 pound flywheel on it. Great carbs.

Edit; pn# SL-450-VSTRF & SL-450-VSTRR

20221130_140813.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with these guys. If stay with 600 cfm or smaller, you'll be fine. IMO - the things I would want to figure out ahead of time would be 1. Will the carbs fit & clear each other on the tunnel ram? 2. What tunnel ram? 3. IS THERE A LINKAGE AVAILABLE THAT OPERATES MY CARBS ON MY TUNNEL RAM? 4. Do I need to get a longer throttle cable? How long? 5. What do I do about my hood?

I really want to run a tunnel ram with dual quads on my street driven car. Anybody here have any experience with running one on the street? Ive seen only two people that i know with them and they both ran very well with few or no driveability problems. I would like to hear from members here if anyone has suggestions? Tips? What carbs did you use? etc Oh also the car has a 440 with 10 to 1 compression, 452 heads with 2.14 and 1.74 valves installed, pocket ported, hydraulic cam with .540 lift and 252 duration @.050, headers, 3 inch exhaust, jacobs ignition, holley 850 annular and single plane aluminum intake, barry grant electric fuel pump with return style regulator, running a 727 with transgo valve body kit in it and a 4.56 on a trac lock
The real question is: WHY?? is it street cred or be the first on your block to try the combination....or to demonstrate you've lost your marbles?? Look st all the $$$ saved by not building the engine......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

1. Will the carbs fit & clear each other on the tunnel ram? 2. What tunnel ram? 3. IS THERE A LINKAGE AVAILABLE THAT OPERATES MY CARBS ON MY TUNNEL RAM? 4. Do I need to get a longer throttle cable? How long? 5. What do I do about my hood?
The choice is limited to three tunnel rams for the big block mopar - and virtually any carbs (other than dominators) will fit any of them. There are at least two linkages available - and both can utilize stock throttle cables - not so sure what you do with the auto linkage, my experience was with a standard trans. Photo circa 1974 or 75

330834438_5738411162934082_522848787587048260_n.jpg

I agree with these guys. If stay with 600 cfm or smaller, you'll be fine. IMO - the things I would want to figure out ahead of time would be 1. Will the carbs fit & clear each other on the tunnel ram? 2. What tunnel ram? 3. IS THERE A LINKAGE AVAILABLE THAT OPERATES MY CARBS ON MY TUNNEL RAM? 4. Do I need to get a longer throttle cable? How long? 5. What do I do about my hood?
66 coronet deluxe slant 6 cable is just the ticket. :drinks:

The real question is: WHY?? is it street cred or be the first on your block to try the combination....or to demonstrate you've lost your marbles?? Look st all the $$$ saved by not building the engine......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON
No dude the question THAT I ASKED was not why, I know why and you dont NEED to know WHY. i asked about recommendations for carbs as well as any possible problems that i may have not forseen. Also saying "just my opinion of course" does not make your often times strange comments any less aggravating. Thats JUST MY opinion, of course. See what i mean?

That combo will work just fine with a TR.
Don’t overthink it.

Weiand TR, 2 x 600 Ede carbs…..no problemo.

Actually, If you’re looking for “other than” carter style carbs, I think QFT has some 600-ish carbs designed for dual quad use.

Edit- looks like they’re 450’s:

since i am running an 850 cfm carb now with good results then 2 450 cfm carbs sounds about right. Thank you for the helpful information.

Dual 600's with vac secondaries OR dual 450's - nobody will know the difference looking at them. Mild big blocks - I consider yours mild - don't like huge carbs or mechanical secondaries. Will they work - with enough screwing around and $$ in parts, sure. But wouldn't you rather just drive the car ?!?!
yes i agree, an 850 seems to work well now so 2 450 carbs seems about right to me as well. Also yes it is definitely a mild combination. I had a 500 inch stroker from muscle motors in it for a while but it would spin the tires way too easily and it made the car not as fun to drive. So i put this engine back in and it is perfect for this car.

Regarding the QF 450's. It's no 440 Dodge but I have them on a little 327 with an old school 280 Isky Mega (108lsa / choppy idle / 10.5" vacuum) and it is very responsive and no tip-in stumble. That's running a straight linkage and a 25 pound flywheel on it. Great carbs.

Edit; pn# SL-450-VSTRF & SL-450-VSTRR

View attachment 1578867
Nice! This is exactly what i was hoping to find out, thank you for the info

So yes ive seen ads for manifolds and some of them tell you if you can fit holleys on there or not, so that would be the manifold i would get,and yes there is linkage available for most every carb setup on a tunnel ram, if not i will make a linkage of some sort. A longer throttle cable? If i need one ill go poking around the local pick n pull after i do some measuring. It can be a cable from any vehicle as long as it will fit with a small amount of modifications. and another member just now suggested a cable from a 6 cyl mopar, so ill go see his comment and see what he suggested. Lastly - hood? We dont need no stinking hood! (maybe ill run the tunnel ram during the spring and summer months only, then i can just put a nice hole in another fiberglass hood that i can buy and switch back for the winter, which is mild here in california anyways.
The choice is limited to three tunnel rams for the big block mopar - and virtually any carbs (other than dominators) will fit any of them. There are at least two linkages available - and both can utilize stock throttle cables - not so sure what you do with the auto linkage, my experience was with a standard trans. Photo circa 1974 or 75

View attachment 1578910
lokar has a cable setup to replace the trans to carb linkage and if it does not easily bolt right on then i will engineer something. Im sure that linkage wont be a difficult thing to overcome

No dude the question THAT I ASKED was not why, I know why and you dont NEED to know WHY. i asked about recommendations for carbs as well as any possible problems that i may have not forseen. Also saying "just my opinion of course" does not make your often times strange comments any less aggravating. Thats JUST MY opinion, of course. See what i mean?
Talk about putting the guy in his place !!!

Throttle cables are as simple as some brass fittings, a length of nylon tubing and a length of thin aircraft cable - all available a a local hardware store. The ball end for the pedal end might be harder to find these days but I'd try a bike shop or motorcycle shop.

Simple linkage if you need to mount them sideways. No need for a beel crank and all tha extra linkage to fit a stock style cable. The aftermarket cable (they're available everywhere) takes slight mods to the pedal end. use a better ball stud than the supplied part. Other that that it been on the car 3 years now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203948465886?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:10utBe_E6TWyvYMj3lo7nNQ71&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid
Amazon product ASIN B0B6BLY7PHDoug

View attachment 1579814

View attachment 1579815

View attachment 1579816

20210227_110904.jpg

20210227_110101.jpg

20210308_174359.jpg

20210228_184538.jpg

20210308_174433.jpg

Last edited:
No need for a beel crank and all tha extra linkage to fit a stock style cable.
The kit you posted the link for comes with the bellcrank. And that comes in handy with the added height of the tunnel ram. However, if I remember correctly the bellcrank "out of the box" mounts at the wrong angle for a BB Mopar and will need a bit of massaging.

The kit you posted the link for comes with the bellcrank. And that comes in handy with the added height of the tunnel ram. However, if I remember correctly the bellcrank "out of the box" mounts at the wrong angle for a BB Mopar and will need a bit of massaging.
With the longer cable there is no need for the bell crank or it's associated linkage. This setup is way simpler. These aftermarket cables are plenty long enough for any intake. I probably cut 8" off from it.
Doug

With the longer cable there is no need for the bell crank or it's associated linkage. This setup is way simpler. These aftermarket cables are plenty long enough for any intake. I probably cut 8" off from it.
I'm not seeing "way simpler"

Where is your throttle return spring? Using the bellcrank it will be in the stock location using the stock bracket.

To use the cable you suggest he will have to fab the cable bracket. If using the bellcrank the stock cable bracket can be used.

Its obvious why you're not using the bellcrank - you can't! But it's a simple system on a standard tunnel ram that's been in use for over 50 years - and works - and is included in the kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back