• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turning a 383 into a real hemi?

I didn't read all the posts so here's a tidbit, new b heads won't work, if this is a hb 383 then the bores are wayyy to small. Roughly the same as a 360-340. Valves will hit the cylinder walls. With the 3-3/4 stroke it'll have good torque, live with what you have or transplant a 392- trans, 440-trans, no fixing what you have now, either way big $$$$$

Is the "meat" you refer to, the cast and machined stud bosses on the lifter side of the block? If so, what type of material are you using and how do you attach it to the existing block? Do the rocker dhaft oil supply passsges on the hemi head line up with the existing oil supply passages? Do the coolant passages line up as well? Will the block require sress relieving after welding on the stud bosses? How do begin to fabricate the intake manifold as the hemi configuration is totally different in shape, area and port approach angle? Would you custom cast a manifold or make it out of pipe and a welded plenium? There are very few people that have the skill, ability and resources to accomplish this formidable task.....perhaps its just wishful thinking...just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Stage five heads bolted the top bolt inside the intake port using the wedge hole. Any Hemi intake will fit (blocks are same diminsion) drain back oil hoses where used, oil feed is in the same spot, longer exhaust rockers where used. It was a good low cost option before new hemi blocks where cast

Well just shut the front door....live and in living color....a low deck hemi block....and only $1600....what a deal....wonder why its for sale? I think I'll pass....if I really want a real HEMI, I'll write the big check and buy one...complete, dyno run and ready to go....just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
You’re better off with your plan. I’ve seen several builds based off “great deals” cost way more in the long run.

Well just shut the front door....live and in living color....a low deck hemi block....and only $1600....what a deal....wonder why its for sale?
I know, right? It set records and everything!

If you know, why don't you share your knowledge with the rest of us...."inquiring minds want to know...". What records? Where and when? Define "everything"....horsepower produced, max RPM achieved, dollars spent to achieve results, etc. Why does the pix of the block show after market main bearing caps? Did the original bearing caps fail? Are the bearing caps shown also cross bolted, like the origional? Just curious....
BOB RENTON

I got a new Isky cam for my ist gen, 354 Hemi from " Hot heads" They can tell you what all they have for early hemi's......MO

At the time I built the truck, Hot Heads did not make any Desoto 330 Cams, I did a lot of searching back then. Ended up getting the stock cam welded and recut, works good.
IMG_0207.JPG

I checked it is a B block not a RB. From what I heard the RB 383 was used in Chryslers when they ran out of B block 383s in 59-60. Its not a big deal if hemi heads don't fit. I am looking at getting 400-450 hp with basic simple upgrades. I figured stock hemi heads would be a cheap and easy way to help it breathe. I am looking at KB hyper pistons, Edelbrock dual plane intake, a 850 cfm quadrajet (for drivability and fuel economy), better cast exhaust manifolds, better factory iron heads that won't need ported with larger valves maybe.

If you wish to go "This Way" just pick up an older (354-392) Firedome hemi
But: In my opinion, keep the original set-up....it's your car, do what you want to do...but I'd keep it original

If you know, why don't you share your knowledge with the rest of us...."inquiring minds want to know...". What records? Where and when? Define "everything"....horsepower produced, max RPM achieved, dollars spent to achieve results, etc. Why does the pix of the block show after market main bearing caps? Did the original bearing caps fail? Are the bearing caps shown also cross bolted, like the origional? Just curious....
BOB RENTON
Holy fudge look at the link I posted. My posts were all sarcasm...over your head apparently....

Sarcasm is an acquired skill that must be practiced to be effective....I guess my comments were over your head....touche....
BOB RENTON
Any bets on the picture below?........Or will the other one "muddying" a thread continue....

images.jpg

I paid a solid/firm $10K for my May-1969, original bore 426 HEMI Short Block from Bob Mazolinni / Bob Mazolinni Racing, Columbia ave, Riverside CA, 2006?
I have more than $25K in it with everything including the Hansen Stage V Heads.

So: IF you can get a Hemi block for $1,600....grab it!

Sadly, This thread has become a "mockery" of our OP (Original Poster) newbie jayzee of Nebraska.
My focus will be on how to "help him" and how not to make a mistake.

In my opinion jayzee from Nebraska, do what you like and remember, a Hemi will not make it the fastest car in town, but it will have a WOW factor when you pop the hood.
Many fellow Forum members here have given you good suggestions, information.
as some of the guys mentioned:
HEMI=$$$$

PS: My sis lives in Plattsmouth NE, great place to live!
Remember Nebraska's saying: "We don't Coast"

I have a 56 Desoto 330 ci Hemi in my 52 Dodge B3B pickup. I got the Hemi for $250 and then got a quick education on Gen I Hemi's. First off, Pretty much anything before 57-58 does not interchange with anything else; what I mean is that the Desoto Hemi's do not interchange with the Dodge or Chrysler Hemis; same thing between those 2. In 57/58 Chrysler standardized the hemi line. Having said all that, there are some parts commonality between the first Gen hemis and small block Mopars, specifically like the distributor (I am running a SB Electronic ignition on mine). In other words, gen I hemis share more in common with small block Mopars than they do with the big blocks.

You really should check out HAMB.com, also look at what Hotheads.com sells. You are going to find that parts for these motors are not all that easy to come by. No one makes a cam for any of the first gen stuff except the 392; you have to have a core which gets welded up and recut. If you really want to enjoy the car and are not hemi fixated, you are much better off putting in a more modern engine. If you want to stay relatively "old school", then drop a newer 383 or 440 in it; if you don't care all that much about being old school, drop in a 5.7 hemi with modern trans and enjoy it; or go to a junk yard, find a 5.9 (360) and trans and transplant that; you get a roller motor, relatively simple EFI, lots of available parts, serpentine system, etc.
I have a gen 1 hemi 331, bored .30 over, 336. I used a modified 340 oil pump, the usual oil bypass block off plug, spin on adapter. I also have the hot heads single four barrel aluminum intake manifold. I have an isky cam 465 lift lsa 110 degrees, i'll have to look at the cam card for the duration. Arias 10:1 compression pistons, stock forged rods, and crank, severe duty oversize stainless valves, msd ready to run distributor ( i hate the word "dizzy"). I have the flex plate, trans adapter to use a small block 727. And i have motor mounts with 1/4 inch plate welded to the front ears on the mounts to put the motor in the correct position. mid sump oil pain, modded transmission crossmember. I went with the small block chevy water pump adapter. Arp rod bolts, head studs, oil pan studs. Btw the engine brackets/ mounts are 318. Kinda long winded, but i saw your post. There is a guy on YT who stuck a 354 hemi into an A body dart. I used collars on the rocker shafts instead of the springs, they kind of wobble around a bit.

I could have had a 354 Hemi for $100 back in ‘88. I didn’t buy it because the 392 was the one to have. And it looked like it weighed 1000 lbs.

I could have had a 354 Hemi for $100 back in ‘88. I didn’t buy it because the 392 was the one to have. And it looked like it weighed 1000 lbs.
The 1955 heads flow better than the 392 hemi's in fact there are adapter plates for intake manifolds so the 392 can use the 331, 354 heads. With the hot heads aluminum cylinder heads, and water pump adapters, and intake, that hemi weighs about the same as a small block chevy. A guy on YT has a 354 in an A body dart

The 1955 heads flow better than the 392 hemi's in fact there are adapter plates for intake manifolds so the 392 can use the 331, 354 heads. With the hot heads aluminum cylinder heads, and water pump adapters, and intake, that hemi weighs about the same as a small block chevy. A guy on YT has a 354 in an A body dart
I’m sure it was worth the $100 just to say I had a Hemi. But I’m a B/RB guy. I like the distributor in the front. My daily has a 383 and I’m still running points. I drove a 273 ‘68 Satellite wagon daily from 2001 to 2014. I put an electronic ignition into it the first year I had it.

I’m sure it was worth the $100 just to say I had a Hemi. But I’m a B/RB guy. I like the distributor in the front. My daily has a 383 and I’m still running points. I drove a 273 ‘68 Satellite wagon daily from 2001 to 2014. I put an electronic ignition into it the first year I had it.
No, problem. I have a 383 in my 67 belvedere.

Auto Transport Service
Back