• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two stroke vs four - which do you prefer

I love everything about a 2 stroke. So much of it is sensory that will never be replaced by modern technology. Not unlike our muscle cars.

With that said I'm impressed by the 4 stroke outboards. You have to love that they are strapping 3000 hp worth of 4 stroke outboards to sport boats.

My 26 ft pontoon will go 40 mph, and you cannot hear it idling. And it's 10 years old. They're even better today

Had a single piston 10 hp Wisconsin motor on my go cart and my buddy had a McCulla. on his. We raced and on the long run I could pull away and beat him. LOL. Four strokes for power and two strokes for the chain saw and yard weed Wacker.

I love everything about a 2 stroke. So much of it is sensory that will never be replaced by modern technology. Not unlike our muscle cars.

With that said I'm impressed by the 4 stroke outboards. You have to love that they are strapping 3000 hp worth of 4 stroke outboards to sport boats.

My 26 ft pontoon will go 40 mph, and you cannot hear it idling. And it's 10 years old. They're even better today
4- strokes are nice but man are they expensive to work on and maintenance. I’ve had my old Astro Bass Boat since 96 with an old Mercury 150 xr6. And it has a pile of hours and on it with still good compression. I’ve rebuilt the carbs once and out 1 coil pack on it and it’s just as quiet as some of the 4-strokes but man that 50-1 mix will flat out kill some bugs and if you don’t know how to start it you’ll never start it. When I retire I plan on getting a new bass boat with a 250 merc 4-stroke

KTM 495 was a beast
Dirt bikes 1982 KTM 495.png
I think I'd have to say two strokes still win out (at least in my mind anyway). Really depends on the application.
The KTM 495 was one of the first "beasts". It was a beast long before there were beasts lol. The '87 CR500 was one too...... My '84 CR500 (the first honda mx 500) was strong, but it was also ridiculously cantankerous.
Anyway, KTM495, one of the fastest anything available in the day, and one of the worst kickstarters ever conceived.

I've ridden both 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes....but the one that got my attention was an Elsinore 150. That was back in 74 or so geez, that thing surprised me for a 150 but, I'm getting kinda tired of mixing gas for the yard stuff but don't wanna spend the money at this time in my life for new stuff. My blower is getting to the point that it needs carb work plus it's older than Pete.

I'm still riding my '05 KTM 200XC, and it's been a Great bike for me, being light and handles well in the woods. In events, it gives up a lot to the big bores in the open sections. I've given some thought to what you just bought, the 350 4stroker, and the more linear power band, just don't know if I have enough time left to get my money's worth out of one ? I'm in the Super Senior class, so No where to go beyond this except hanging it up...
0630131518a.jpg
0915131904.jpg

Last edited:
I have raced many two stroke moto bikes and they tend to suit my jumping style. If i were to keep the tires on the earths surface four stroke dirt bike all the way. I feel that they have the severe engine braking worked out so I might enjoy a big four stroke. five years ago I did try my buddies CRF 450 on a big up hill triple and it was amazing, I cleared the 70 foot triple with ease. My 250 two stroke did not have any issues clearing the distance, you just work a little harder to clear it.
I have a garage full of Yamaha two stroke street bikes, fun to ride and quite quick.
My advice, try to ride a handful of each to see what you like.

RZ350 I had it out for a few hours today.Lots of fun over 5000 RPM. Even with my fat *** it will still do the ton!

3634FC5C-225D-428B-AE31-EDB2905EA2E7.jpeg

2 strokes naturally have more wheel spin, which can be fun, until you hit a deep sand wash. They are also generally lighter and way simpler ( and cheaper) to rebuild. 4 strokes are more tractable, and if you ever have to crack one open, whoa boy!! Lots of moving pieces! Bike in foreground in my current bike, an injected 500 ktm. Bike in background is carbed ktm 450 after I put the motor in the first pic back together, and subsequently sold. Wished I kept the 450 and sold the 500. Injection on a dirt bike is a recipe to get stranded. I rode a KDX200 for years. Great bike. If off-roading is your thing, KDX-200, KTM EXC/XCW 200,250,300, Yamaha IT/WR all good choices. Modifying an mx bike for serious off-road is doable, but gear ratios will be less than optimum ie 1st too tall, 5th too short. I had a crf-450 that I set up for off-road. Went up on front sprocket 1 tooth, put in a rekluse. Top end was about 80. Not fast enough for desert. But workable.

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2661.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

Last edited:
Two strokes also make great large amounts of power... EMD locomotives are two stroke! Detroit Diesels were very unique not the most powerfull but you could hear a screaming Detroit a mile away... 8V92 , 13spd with 4:10 rear axle was a lot of fun and dual straight pipes... my head hurts thinking about it!

Had a single piston 10 hp Wisconsin motor on my go cart and my buddy had a McCulla. on his. We raced and on the long run I could pull away and beat him. LOL. Four strokes for power and two strokes for the chain saw and yard weed Wacker.
He must have had a Mac 49, they were a little over 5 HP. A stock Mac 101 makes 12.5 HP and a 10 Wisconsin would have had trouble hanging with a 101.

Loved my Suzuki RM 125 when I was younger. I also love my Mercury Optimax on my Nitro also. So, I guess you could say I am a 2 stroke fan!

Depends on the application . I've also ridden the new 4 stroke enduros. It doesn't seem as though you are going as fast.
A much wider torque curve with a much duller exhaust note is a pretty fair trade off .
Do I want a 4 stroke chainsaw ? Not on your life ... Don't want an electric one either ..
I'm on the fence when it comes to outboards .. I like my much simpler and lighter 2 strokes ..

View attachment 1479319

I like the 4-strokes on my jet ski and party boat, but I love the screaming 6 cylinder Mercury tower of power on my ‘89 Glastron.

IMG_4586.jpeg

I stopped riding 2-wheelers many years ago, but always preferred a 2-stroke...last fun one I had was an '04 Banshee (Quad) that was an absolute beast. Pismo dunes, the desert, anywhere...that thing hauled ***! Tons of fun.
So I guess I vote 2-stroke as well!
Plus they just sound so much cooler IMO.
The "pipey" sound of the exhaust on a 2 stroke is addicting.
All of my life I've been a car guy with no direct experience with motorcycles other than riding a few back in my early 20s. I never paid attention to the engineering and configuration of how a 2 stroke engine works until a few years ago.
What an amazingly simple and effective design....No valves ??? Whuut?
I took apart a chain saw engine a couple years ago and was amazed to see a roller bearing on the big end of the connecting rod. Two rings on the piston too. I wondered how a mix of gas and oil could provide adequate lubrication for the connecting rod until I saw the roller bearing on it.

I had buddies that all had early Honda 70's & 80's Elsinore's
& later the CRs

broken bones or chances of broken &/or wrench limbs

I never broke a bone, but figured why keep pushing my luck

That's why I started riding quads
spent a whole lot less time on the ground,
'actually', I never did go on the ground after I started riding the quads
they have their negatives, some trail access, mostly width issues
I followed my buds on their bikes everywhere,
even places 'they bet I couldn't'
when doing the Rubicon Trail, I went up or down places they couldn't
or were too afraid to (? maybe)
but not getting hurt & me not healing fast like I did, 25 - 50 years ago
or high-siding
or front tire washed outs
or getting thrown down going into ruts

it was an adjustment, after 30 years on bikes,
but I like the quads better now
you stay upright a tone more

Don't get me wrong I still love bikes,
but I'm looking out for my own good now
Quads are fun But man they’re rough compared to 2 wheeler.

Quads are fun But man they’re rough compared to 2 wheeler.
No Quads for me. I had a 125 Husky, for Woods Racing, that was like a Magic Carpet. The suspension was tuned for me, and it was a Treasure to ride on Single Track !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back