• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What two stroke motorcycle mix do you like.....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
Guys, picked up a couple of mid 70's two stroke bikes, Suzuki and Yamaha, for the grandkids to ride. Been many moons since I have messed with any of these and not sure what oil and fuel to oil ratio I need to mix. Both bikes have the automatic oilers bypassed, so I will need to mix the fuel myself. In looking, I see lube for marine use, some synthetic ,some not, ATVs and a lot of name brands for many machines. Is there one lube and what ratio is safe for most any 70s two stroke bikes, thanks

1703082978177.png

42:1 or 50:1

Spectro, belray, or maxima castor 927. I’ve used them all with great results. Love the smell of the 927

I always used Kawasaki. 32:1 for better ring seal. Some research says even as more as 20’s:1

17030927376245411949208065476411.jpg

I've been running Maxima Super M in my bikes for over 20yrs, and I'm still on my original top end in my '05 KTM 200EXC. I mix at around 42-4:1, with 93octane, as my WFO days are well behind me. Doesn't foul the plugs either. Also ran great in Kawi's, and Huskies too...

Thanks Guys, it does appear the synthetics have taken over in the two cycle mix world also, I been away a long time....

2-strokes running synthetic oil have a distinctly foul smell exhaust smell.
Have to agree with ya. In the sled world, synthetic is recommended for exh valve machines. And they stink. Good ol real 2 stroke oil is like a fine woman's perfume

Hit a snag yesterday, getting close to firing up an old 1974 Suzuki that has not run in many years. A PO removed the oil tank and just appeared to run pre mix in the gas tank. Finding the tank pretty rust free and clean supports that. But in reading the service manual, it states the oil pump supply's oil to both the cylinder AND left half of the engine internals. The right side is oiled with transmission gear lube. Gezzz, now I wondering if that has or will damage the engine, it seems to spin over just fine now manually. Should I try to find an oil tank and insure the oil pump is working as designed. thanks

Hit a snag yesterday, getting close to firing up an old 1974 Suzuki that has not run in many years. A PO removed the oil tank and just appeared to run pre mix in the gas tank. Finding the tank pretty rust free and clean supports that. But in reading the service manual, it states the oil pump supply's oil to both the cylinder AND left half of the engine internals. The right side is oiled with transmission gear lube. Gezzz, now I wondering if that has or will damage the engine, it seems to spin over just fine now manually. Should I try to find an oil tank and insure the oil pump is working as designed. thanks
Ditch the oil pump and tank and run premix. Good chance pump doesn’t meter properly any more

Have to agree with ya. In the sled world, synthetic is recommended for exh valve machines. And they stink. Good ol real 2 stroke oil is like a fine woman's perfume

My last sleds were Yamaha 4-strokes & when the day was done, it was nice not having our clothes smelling like a chain saw &stinking up the house. I could always tell when we were coming up on a two stroke in front of us by the exhaust smell.

Once I discovered Amsoil in the late 70's I used 100-1 with great luck...

I know many of you are cringing right now...

I used to use Motul, in my carts don't remember which

I had a good friend in Chevron Research, in Richmond
on his recommendation, him doing years of destruction testing results
"don't waste your money on hypes, fads or new synthetics,
they aren't any better, just throwing money away"

(& My uncle Ron, was a VP for Chevron too)
I used Chevron 2 stroke ('fossil/dino') mix in most my old bikes
50:1 IIRC

Ditch the oil pump and tank and run premix. Good chance pump doesn’t meter properly any more
I found a vid on U tube from a guy who has been building/restoring two stroke bikes for years talking about whether or not to ditch the oil pump on Suzukis and Yamahas. He worked at a Suzuki dealership many years ago. He had both Suzuki and Yamaha 125 engines split and was able to show how both oiling systems worked. The Yam has case holes drilled to move oil/gas mixture below the cylinder straight to the crank bearings for lubrication purpose. So, to block off the single line from oil pump to intake and run pre mix , no problem. But the Suzuki does not have that at all. Right side crank bearing pulls lube in from tranny oil and keep it lubed. But, left side crank bearing has a separate line coming from oil pump to keep it lubed. To by pass the oil pump on them is to shut off oiling to the bearing. It can be modified by splitting the cases, drilling a feeder line to that bearing in the case from below the cylinder. Then, machine off a blocking lip off both the crank and crank bearing and installing that amount shim on the left side. He says some bikes have run a long time when bypassing the oil pump and NOT doing the mod, but , that is the way they did it at the dealership back in the day. I think for me it's best to keep the pump working as designed. Thanks guys....

I used yamalube and Klotz back in the day. any pics? of these bikes

IMG_0609.jpgIMG_0610.jpgIMG_0611.jpgThe Suzuki going back together. I pulled the cylinder off to fix a broken exhaust stud and it just went downhill from there. Now thinking of pulling the side covers and replace all the seals and gaskets. As you can see , Ray, the first owner, liked this bike so much he needed to stencil on the side cover his true feeling about the bike. Note the dual oil feed lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back