• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U-Bolt size

cairopd1069

Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
When breaking down the rear suspension, some of the u-bolts broke when we tried to get the nut off so we cut them off. Like an idiot, I threw away the pieces. I need to know what size u-bolts I need for a 66 Coronet 440 2Dr HT, stock parts on the rear end.

1/2"X3"X 6.1/2" t 8" Depending on what springs your useing.

Also make sure you get the correct ones which are flat at the top of the arch and not round. That is so you do not compress the axle tube when torquing them to FSM specs...My 2 Cents

I am using the factory springs. Thanks for the info. Is this what you mean by flat top? I'm a little confused on the size wedge69 mentioned, can you clarify what the measurements are? Thanks
mlw7CtoM9mRASZKRhDNOkZg.jpg

Factory "U" bolts

Factory u bolts are slightly flattened on the top & knurled on the housing side.

Attachments

• IMG_4642.JPG
    IMG_4642.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 359
Good luck on finding that U/bolt after market !
I never seen a problem with the non flatened botl as the only reason the factory used it was to keep the rear from rolling the spring perch. Has Nothing to do with crushing the axle tube ! It a U/bult will deflect an axle tueb you Need to get a New rear OR Stop Over tourqueing the bolts. All in All the factory bolts are Weaker due to the Flattening of them> Just my 2 c'S but When you can plant a 4 speed B body with the front's 4 feet up you learn the weak spots!
Now this being said if your looking for a Factory restore than Yes go with that U/bolt. But if all your doing is trying to get your rear in and running an after market bolt will do the job for alot less $..

Auto Transport Service
Back