• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U Joint Clip clip clarification.

Rusty 72

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1972 Charger.

On my way to work today the U joint failed. One cap must've come off when I was on the highway and it immediately started vibrating. I limped it to the shoulder and actually made it to the next exit ramp and into a parking lot where the driveshaft finally fell off at the rear end.

Does the rear pinion have ears on the yoke that the joint would've sat in? Also am I suppose to be using the c clips in conjunction with the Ujoint straps??
I saw another post where someone had catastrophic damage, luckily mine just fell off and dragged for about 10 feet.

Thanks Jeanette

IMG_0555.jpeg IMG_0558.jpeg

You have to use the clips, they keep the u joint centered. You are lucky, there wasn't a lot more damage.You need to check the flange and driveshaft for damage, and replace as necessary.

Jeanette, I agree with R/T. Depending on what yoke and U joint you have, the clips are REQUIRED. You need to check what damage was done and correct it.
At the drag strip I had a driveshaft break in the traps at 118 MPH. Broke the tail shaft off the 727, bent the output shaft more than an inch, broke the trans case off the block. Check things out before driving again.

Somebody forgot to put the C clips in. The lower picture, the a dimension is where the clips go on ALL four cups. The lower picture is missing the grooves on the other cups. When you get a new u-Joint it will look like top picture.
ujoint.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back