• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Marine's 69 RoadRunner after 25 years

Hemicbx

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
I wanted to share with you all a 69 RR project I'm working on. A college friend of mine went into the Marine Corp immediately after we graduated from VMI in 1993. At that time, his 69 RR went into storage in a barn/shed thing in Ohio. For the last 25 years he's been off doing Marine things and his RR has been sitting. This is also the car that several of
us took out one night which ended up being his first meeting & date with his wife.

In Dec 2015 Dave was badly injured while deployed in Afghanistan and while he's certainly through the worst of it he is still recovering. His story is here if you're interested:
https://www.fredericksburg.com/news...cle_5af3071c-ad79-5c8a-9d1b-f2f169e0e562.html

Early this year his wife reached out to me saying Dave wanted his RR back and wanting to know if I knew of any shops that were up to the job. To make a short story short, the car was transported to my shop July 4th weekend and what a car it is!

I've included a few pics to get you an idea of how complete it is. It's a real deal numbers matching (down to the right carb & distributor) 69 Roadrunner manual steering, manual brakes, stick car. Certainly not without problems, but the car is overall really really good. Had quarters and an engine rebuild somewhere around 91 or 92 and is painted a 71 B5 color.

Once we saw the body was in overall good & presentable shape we started into a safety/reliability return-to-the-road sort of job so that he can get back on the road in his ride. At some point it could use a paint/body job, but it can turn a head today pretty easily and for the sake of cost and time, it just didn't seem right to tear in that deeply right now.

With fuel from a can, a loaner carb, and a quick points filing the car fired and sort of idled. 8 plugs later and it was idling Thankfully the car got to my place two weeks before Carlisle so we were able to get a good collection of parts going.

Basic plan was fuel system, brake system, interior. Unfortunately, when we pulled the carpet we saw we had a floor "issue" so an AMD floor pan set had to go in. That set us back a bit.

We're still recovering from the floor setback, but right now the car sitting with interior out, engine out, front suspension off waiting for me to prep the floor both inside & out. However we're in a really good spot. Right now we have:
-front suspension fully rebuilt & ready to go in
-seats recovered in Legendary covers
-armrest bases & pads & carpet ready
-Tank-to-carb fuel system ready to go in (still need to do the carb)
-Brake shoes to master cylinder ready to go in
-flywheel/starter/alternator/distributor prepped & ready
-exhaust (except mufflers) ready to go in
-Bumpers (one here and one on order)

Here are a few pics (of the 279 I've taken so far). This one's spoken for and will be back with it's rightful driver soon. But the other moral of the story is that you just don't know what's still sitting out there; they're not all snatched up yet!

6gInmOV.jpg

PQOAUsF.jpg

iV55Q03.jpg

KKR4C04.jpg

Outstanding! Thank God he is recovering well, that'll give him something to look forward to. God bless the US Marines!

If there's anything I can donate from my extras let me know!

I’m no Jar Head, just a Grunt, but we chewed some of the same dirt, so my prayers go out to the Marine! Simper Fi!

Keep us posted on the recovery of the both.

Nice story. This old soldier will be watching and waiting to see owner & car back off having fun again! Keep the Intel conning.

Great story! Keep us posted on progress. Love the pics.

That’s awesome!
Keep the fight on the recovery!

Oorah!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Overall, the job is going along pretty smoothly. I've ended up touching a lot more of the car than I expected, but each piece refurb/prep is going along pretty smoothly. I'd hoped to be back & running by October, but that's not going to happen; hoping now for December timeframe

Read the story about how the accident happened and "Air Grabber" just struck me.

Auto Transport Service
Back