• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UHaul or trailer

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
If we rent a UHaul and small car trailer to put our JGC on and then buy a 20ft. enclosed trailer, I’d be paying close to $20k to get us to Texas.

The UHaul stuff is $6500, enclosed trailer is $10-14k. But I’m wondering if I buy a 24 or 28ft enclosed trailer for $16-20k and the wife drives the JGC and I drive our truck and trailer, would we be better off? I plan on selling the trailer when we get there and get a car trailer no matter which size trailer I get.

I’m kinda sorta certain that I can get all our stuff in a 24-28ft. trailer, but may need to make some donations or a garage sale when we get closer to moving.

Thoughts??

God help you if you use U-Haul.

Penske is the best and Budget is the worst.

My friend and I bought a box truck from a business that couldn't register it in california any more. We bought the whole truck for what the lift gate was worth, and registered it in Arizona.
We are gonna move three households of stuff with it, and it will pull my open car trailer at the same time.
I was looking for an enclosed 24ft (or bigger) trailer when we stumble across the box. I was disgusted by how much more a trailer cost on the west coast than Georgia or Ohio for example. At LEAST, a 50%premium.
I found a 28 footer for 12k in Arizona, still trying to decide if I want one.

Last edited:
My household move from upstate NY to Savannah, GA. involved:

Throwing away a zillion things; and donating a million things. I donated away all household furniture except for master bedroom suite.

Me driving a large Budget truck. Never again. What a p.o.s. truck.

Calling U-Line and they delivered a 40 foot trailer to my farm. I boxed everything, I packed the truck, and I unpacked the truck. This is definitely the way to go.

Me driving a large Penske truck. Great company and equipment.

No one had a trailer rated for my 2 metric ton Chrysler. So, I had a car carrier move it down to Georgia. No issues.

I don't want to ever move again, but I will use a U-Line trailer again and won't drive a rental truck if we move again.

ABF used to offer a mover deal where they drop off a 30ft semi trailer at your house and you get a week to load it. My sister in law used it about 10 years ago to move from Boston to Tulsa and it was like $1500.

Drive to TX rent trailer go to CA and load up back to TX. Don't tell them.
I wasn't kidding about that renting in Texas. Might be 4k/5k to rent in Texas and it wouldn't put 10k $ wear and tear on tow vehicle.

I have moved way to many times in my life. Caution must be taken regardless of which way you go. Some medium to larger companies will stipulate that they have a full load going to your area before bringing yours to you. I hired three good size companies on three of my moves and their service gets worse each time. Costing me hundreds of dollars in damages to my house and belongings. Damages are paid out using a percentage of gross weight, regardless if the damage is to the house or furniture, pennies on the dollar. Getting rid of most of your stuff and buying new can save you money useless like me, I just spent 20,000 dollars on a bedroom set and two new couches. If I did it again I'd hire United van line and pay them whatever to make sure my stuff gets to me in one piece. Four of my moves cost me right at 4 thousand to move me 20 miles. United van lines is probably around 12 to 14 thousand. You get what you pay for. My next move is 2 miles down the road and all I can take is my ashes.

God help you if you use U-Haul.

Penske is the best and Budget is the worst.

I agree. Last year i needed a uhaul auto transport trailer to haul my coronet home. Reserved it 10 days ahead and confirmed it was available. 3 or 4 days out i checked my reservation online and confimred all was good. The day before i checked again just to make sure and the website said my reservation was cancelled. WTF! Called uhaul and they said it happens and there's nothing they could do. They didn't have any auto transports available anywhere within a couple hundred miles and didn't give a crap about my predicament. I eneded up having to rent a tow dolly but before i could use it, i had to replace the rear wheel seal roadside. I knew it had a bad seal and that was why i needed the trailer. Uhaul can go to hell.

Last edited:
Always had good luck with U-Haul. I've used Penske once for a box truck - that thing was a big POS all around! Budget van - it was OK, but it wasn't great, either.

Talked with our lender, he said we could buy a trailer as long as we don’t have a $1000 a month payment and have it paid in full with the sale of our current home.

My wife (the buyer for the vineyard she works for) will be calling some of the venders she’s bought trailers through for the vineyard to see what they can do.

We close on this house (Commiefornia) on January 6th and if our offer is accepted (which we aren’t arguing over price as it’s pretty damn good to start with) Texas will close January 9th.

Drive to TX rent trailer go to CA and load up back to TX. Don't tell them.
Unless something happens to the
trailer once you leave Texas. Cross
any state line without contractual
agreement, and it becomes grounds
for theft and/or fraud. Not a good
practice while trying to save a buck
or two.

Unless something happens to the
trailer once you leave Texas. Cross
any state line without contractual
agreement, and it becomes grounds
for theft and/or fraud. Not a good
practice while trying to save a buck
or two.
You mean rental cars too! Put 4k on one and 5k on vacation. Never thought about interstate trailer, I rent it, have to get permission to go out of state. They're on to me.

PODS. They'll drop a cargo container at your origin. You fill. Call them, they move and drop at your destination.

Portable
On
Demand
Storage.

Auto Transport Service
Back