• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncle Tony's Garage... Car without title... No problem.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Just watched this video and if you have a car that is un titled and you only have a bill of sale. There is a way around it to get a title in your name. The Vermont Loophole. They say its legit.

I used something similar and got a title from NY I believe and then transferred it into PA. Now have a PA title for my 63 Fury!

Pretty much every state has something similar. It just depends on how many hoops you want to jump through.
I bought a 72 Duster from a dead guy that I knew was dead, his family couldn't find a title, but he had registered it.
One of the hoops I had to jump through was that I had to send him a certified letter asking him if he still wanted the car, to his last known address per the state. When it was returned undeliverable, the car was mine. But that is 1 of about 6 other hoops I had to jump through. Got the car, all above boards.

Pretty much every state has something similar. It just depends on how many hoops you want to jump through.
I bought a 72 Duster from a dead guy that I knew was dead, his family couldn't find a title, but he had registered it.
One of the hoops I had to jump through was that I had to send him a certified letter asking him if he still wanted the car, to his last known address per the state. When it was returned undeliverable, the car was mine. But that is 1 of about 6 other hoops I had to jump through. Got the car, all above boards.

How long did it take total? I know someone here in Arizona that’s been trying for three years to get through all those hoops.

I used a Title service out of Las Vegas, cant remember the name. But yes I got Legit plates and registration. IIRC it was $300. Good to know you can do it on your own.
IMG_1268.JPG

How long did it take total? I know someone here in Arizona that’s been trying for three years to get through all those hoops.
Hey Jim.
About 7 months. Not too bad because we had plenty to do on the car in the meantime as you know.

It took about 5 to 6 weeks for me to get a registration and plates through Vermont
Only needed a bill of sale and fill out the proper paper work
You pay sales tax on the declared value and registration fees
They check on the value using a blue book type valuation

I've researched this.
Not news to me.
Understand that each state is sovereign.
The bureaucracy and in particular the bureaucrat you interface with in your state will vary.
The problem with the Vermont thing is it is expensive IF your car is higher value and you MAY not have good results at your state office.
That's a big unknown once you have sent Vermont a large amount of money.
In other words, this would be a gamble on a higher value vehicle.
For example, independent of the Vermont "loop hole" I believe Georgia is NOT following it's own title law.
Long story with documentation.
(I've been to Welcome All Road)

I commend states that take the money and leave the bullshit to others. In this day and age of computers and internet instant access. You are not getting a stolen car through, especially a high value one that insurance has paid on. It gives you a reasonable solution to strange circumstances.
Pa. is a miserable bitch if you have the actual title.

In my experience in the past, Indiana will not accept title service titles, bonded titles or "fresh" registrations. I don't know if this Vermont registration is included but it's good to know to maybe try someday if needed. Still hard to drop 15k on a project with no title.

Common in Florida. Takes a couple months.

I need to dig into stuff like this. I have a project that's been here for...15 years now? Bought from a buddy who never titled it, waaaay back, I'd say...2005? He had a title in the last owners name that I got with the car, and I never titled it in my name...and then my (now ex-) wife cleaned out my office, and tossed the piece of paper. It was a NY title, showing a lien. Checking the NY DMV, it STILL shows a lien - on a 1986 GLHS!!! It's a project...but it's a true Shelby car, all numbers match, all trim present, etc etc.

I might have the motivation to make it a car again, if I had a title in my name...

I had to use a title service for a camper. $500 and had a new title in 10 days.

Iowa is a $1000 bond you pay %10 ,$100.00 on kinda like bail.:D Then after a check for past bank leins and a year goes by, its yours with new state stamped vin and title.

I bought both my 69 roadrunner and 55 Bel Air out of the state of Alabama, and neither were issued titles when new. Alabama did not issue titles before 1975 (I think that was the year). I was told auto thefts began to rise so they then began to issue titles thereafter. All that was needed for me to title and register both these cars in Tennessee were notarized bills of sale. The VIN's were ran through DMV databases to ensure there was no fraud including theft.

If you're car is old enough to have a vin with less than 10 digits, 50s and earlier, an NICB search doesn't even work, and my state, and I imagine most others, can't look it up either.
Some states, mine, have trouble with 10 digit vins, my guess is they are too old to even be in a modern system set up for 17 digit vins.

Auto Transport Service
Back