• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Carriage Coating

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on under carriage coatings for my Bird. The car has been media blasted, epoxy primer, the phase 1 body work is done, and will start finishing the under carriage first. I paid good money to have the old under coating blasted off and don't like the idea of simply putting a new coat of that $hit back on there. The car won't be driven much but will be driven, and not in wet / snowy crappy conditions if I can help it.

The question comes down to 1. simply the same paint I will use on the upper body or
2. possibly the POR 15 Hardnose white http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-assets/downloads/POR15/HN-WC-Directions.pdf.

The upper body will be WW1 white, so anybody think this is a good idea....bad idea?
Thoughts?

I really like the spray on bedliner for several reasons, it looks good, is rubbery meaning it doesn't chip or scratch exposing the metal, it really seals the seams and adds a little sound deadening. If going this route you don't want the roll on stuff you want the two part spray on stuff, I bought mine off Ebay (Xtreme liner I believe).

I just spent the last 5-6 months scraping all that stuff off my car so I can paint the bottom of the car and have it look as good as the top of the car.

I've got 100 pounds of "used" undercoating that I'll be happy to pass along to you ! ! ( smile )

Here's a link http://xtremeliners.com/ The POR15 is more for applying over rusty metal not something nice like you have.

- - - Updated - - -

I just spent the last 5-6 months scraping all that stuff off my car so I can paint the bottom of the car and have it look as good as the top of the car.

I've got 100 pounds of "used" undercoating that I'll be happy to pass along to you ! ! ( smile )

I know what your saying but I plan on driving mine allot and don't like the idea of chipping it up under there.

Here's a link http://xtremeliners.com/ The POR15 is more for applying over rusty metal not something nice like you have.

- - - Updated - - -

I know what your saying but I plan on driving mine allot and don't like the idea of chipping it up under there.

Thanks guys, but the bed liner stuff is just more under coat. Like Conv67 says above, allot of work getting factory undercoat off, why gunk it up again with a thick coat of rubber if you don't need it. I have used the regular Por 15 primer several times. Read the specs on the Por 15 hard nose stuff. It's more like paint not just their rust inhibiting primers. Supposed to be chip resistant too. The more moisture it receives, the harder it gets.

Though I have never used the particular Por 15 product you linked to, I have used Por 15 in the past (as well as several other products) with mixed results.

What I have found to be the best is "rust bullet". That stuff is tough as nails, and used by the Coast Guard.

I have found that cutting it with 10% Xylene (as per conversations with the company), works best (at least for my desert environment).

It's pretty amazing stuff. --- As to should you re-undercoat or not, is up to you. Since I drive my cars daily, I undercoat just for the sound deadening, but if yours is not a driver, paint will be fine with a suitable rust preventative.

Should you decide to undercoat, I only use a product called "Spectrum" from "Second Skin". It is as good, or better, than any of the other products - cheaper - more durable. Plus it kills most of the "drone" from Flowmasters (my personal favorite).

This is the best combination I have found to date.

Thanks guys, but the bed liner stuff is just more under coat. Like Conv67 says above, allot of work getting factory undercoat off, why gunk it up again with a thick coat of rubber if you don't need it. I have used the regular Por 15 primer several times. Read the specs on the Por 15 hard nose stuff. It's more like paint not just their rust inhibiting primers. Supposed to be chip resistant too. The more moisture it receives, the harder it gets.
Totally understand just keep in mind it's not "gunked up" it actually looks good and washes up nicely. If it's already Epoxied then you already have good protection and could just top coat it with a good paint. Good luck, glad to hear that you are getting far enough along to be thinking about the undercarriage.

Totally understand just keep in mind it's not "gunked up" it actually looks good and washes up nicely. If it's already Epoxied then you already have good protection and could just top coat it with a good paint. Good luck, glad to hear that you are getting far enough along to be thinking about the undercarriage.

No doubt it looks good. My Ram 3500 has that stuff in the bed, Linex anyway. Looks good and tougher than hell. I've had other people suggest it as well but I'm just not seeing it under the bird. Not sure why. Maybe it's a stigma from how hard the old stuff was to get off (according to the blast guy). I need to keep telling myself, it's only the under carriage, move on.

I am a big fan of the tintable bedliner coating. You pour a quart of your paint in the catalyzed mixture and spray it on. Looks great. Extremely durable and if by chance you do scratch it, it is the same color all the way through. I used it on a 55 chevy I built and am using it on my 68 charger as well as my 66 impala convertible

Auto Transport Service
Back