• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under hood wiring wrap

moobster

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to re-wrap the under-the-hood wiring on my 62 Dart.
The existing wiring appears to be original, and is wraped in shiney tape, with cloth tubes over the single wires that leave the main harness and go to the various sending units, is this correct?
Or should the main harness be wraped in a cloth type tape?
I may as well do it right, while I'm at it.
Mark

That's correct. Black shiny tape. I believe they used a cloth tape at the junctions and shiny tape over that.

I have before and after pics in my thread. I used a heat resistant flexable cover over mine after replacing all of the bad and brittle wires. I have more pics if you need them.

Post#171
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-9
Thank you.
I read your build thread from start to finish and I forgot you posted the wiring pics.
Time to read it through again, I guess.
I now refer to your thread as the assembly manual:)
Thanks

Thank you.
I read your build thread from start to finish and I forgot you posted the wiring pics.
Time to read it through again, I guess.
I now refer to your thread as the assembly manual:)
Thanks
No problem. I have more wiring pics that I didn't post if you need any.

I have not tried it yet but have heard of Friction Tape 3/4''x 30' roll non sticky made by Utilitech and sold at Lowe's. From what I understand it's allot like the factory wrap.

I have not tried it yet but have heard of Friction Tape 3/4''x 30' roll non sticky made by Utilitech and sold at Lowe's. From what I understand it's allot like the factory wrap.
Thanks. I'll check and see if Lowes carries it here in Canada.

I'm getting ready to re-wrap the under-the-hood wiring on my 62 Dart.
The existing wiring appears to be original, and is wraped in shiney tape, with cloth tubes over the single wires that leave the main harness and go to the various sending units, is this correct?
Or should the main harness be wraped in a cloth type tape?
I may as well do it right, while I'm at it.
Mark

Cloth tape at the junctions and non adhesive shiney black tape over the whole harness and the cloth tubes over single wires was production. Also check the insulation for cracks if you bend it. If it cracks replace the whole harness.

I found that NAPA had every guage and color that I needed. The factory service manual has the wiring diagrams with color and guage size. Found the correct wire ends and terminals blades on ebay. Soldered all the connections, shrink tube on them for a moisture barrier. Did the tape rap like factory. Not the soft tape but the stiffer tape. Then took it one more step and covered most of it with the heat resistant stretch tube from Summit. It was designed for spark plug wires and it comes in smaller sizes.
20170620_191440.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back