• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under the scalpel - my Oldest Daughter - Open heart surgery - Wednesday . . .

Great progress, good news...

speedy recovery & well wishes sent your way...

No longer ICU status

The doctor just stopped by the ICU and has changed her status to step-down . . . She has been taken off ICU.

Progress continues !

Just thinking about this on the drive home tonight . . .

I got the chance to meet, and talk to both doctors that were in operating room with my daughter during the 10 hours of surgery . . . got the chance to shake the hands of two doctors, that not even 2 days earlier, had been holding the heart of my baby in their hands - and doing their "mods" to that heart, to allow my baby to continue on with her life and start a family . . .

Just the thought that I was able to shake the hands of two people that actually held my daughter's heart in their hands . . . blows my mind . . . and amazes me ! !

And the nursing staff in the ICU - what an incredible group of people, that devote their lives to saving other peoples lives . . . the work that they do in the ICU is incredible and I doubt they ever get the credit that they deserve for the work that they do. I got the opportunity to meet, shake their hands, and truly thank them for everything. What's even more amazing, is that the nurse that cared for my daughter the last two days, when he shook my hand said "It was a pleasure meeting you." . . . wow . . . it was my "honor" meeting him !

It's been a long (3) days ( although it feels like it's been 3 weeks ) . . . I'm home a little early, and I left my daughter in the care of those incredible nurses, and her husband, so that she can get the rest that she needs, continue to heal, make more progress, and get back home as soon as possible . . .

Life is precious - hold on dearly. There're life lessons in your experience for all of us to learn...... Thx for sharing.

Been a very long week . . . here's an update . . .

This week has seemed to drag on forever . . . but things are heading in the right direction . . .

Surgery - 10 hours: the decided to do more than initially planned to get it done in one surgery.
#1 concern - leaky valve: they fixed the leaky valve by making changes to her mitral valve ( BEST solutoin - no blood thinner required the rest of her life )
#2 concern - original fontan shunt: removed it and added a lorger external shunt ( BEST solution - eliminate arythmia possibilities )
#3 concern - palpatations: did something called the Mays that should help prevent this from happening again
This was all that was planned . . .
#4 concern - pacemaker: the need for a pacemaker later is possible ( probable ) so the did it now - it would require cutting the breastbone and opening up the chest ( not good ) so they did it now while she was already opened up ( BEST solution - thanks for forward thinking ).

She was moved to step-down status on Friday night, and is still in a step-down room.

Progress:
All of the IV tubes have been removed
3 of the 4 drain tubes have been removed from her chest ( last one is still draining more than they like to pull it )
She has been going on walks for the past 3 days - good to get her up and moving - she decides how far she can make it.
Plan was to send her home on Monday - but the draining chest tube may delay that until Tuesday now.
Pain has decreased a great bit, by her measure, from an 8+ down to a 4 yesterday, and less today . . . good drugs too !
Oxygen that was running at 6 liters has been reduced to 1.5 liters to maintain the 89-90+ saturation they want

Looking for her to be able to come back home ! !

Thanks to all at FBBO for your prayers and Support during this past week - I really can't thank you enough . . .

Just found this.. Sorry to hear, but happy to hear that everything is getting better.

I apologize for being late in seeing this. But i'm glad that everything is going in a forward and positive direction. My cousin went thru an open heart procedure 40+ years ago when he was 3 months old. At the time, he was the youngest patient to ever get that type of surgery at the Univ of Iowa. To look at him now, you would never know what he went thru. Tell your daughter to take things slow and let her know WE are all sending her (and you) good thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like home for Thanksgiving - that's great!!

Glad to hear she is progressing well. Hang in there and give her kisses from FBBO, and hugs too! If we had an address and name we could ALL send cards!

Well wishes all around, for a
Continued & speedy full recovery...

That's great! I can't imagine what it would be like to have your girl go in for open heart surgery!!!!!! I bet that was a huge relief getting the news that all was well and that she might make Thanksgiving. Your a great Dad Larry, take care.

Final update and great news . . .

Just got a call from my daughter as her husband is driving her home now - home in time for the holidays !

LOTS of healing left to do, and still some gotchas that might crop up, but we'll address them if and when they show up . . . the surgery was a complete success, and after the healing is done, they will be anxious to start their own family ! !

Thanks again to everyone here at FBBO that followed my daughter's surgery, and recovery, for the kind words of support that you offered in your replies, and the prayers that have been received and answered . . . That is why I'm sure that this Forum is the Best One On The Internet ! !

Happy Thanks giving to one and all !

We care for our brothers!!!!!

Glad to hear the progress is moving in the right direction.....most people don't understand the complexities of your daughters surgeries. This is not an open heart CABG x(any number). This is removal with reconstruction and repair.

Her going home! Wow! That is one tough hard nosed kid! Slow recovery, lol Not her, Larry, her hospital/healing course is above the norm!!!

So happy for you and your family!

The phone call was the BEST news you could have heard. Happy to hear it worked through with your daughter and you can now enjoy the holidays with her and the rest of your family. Dont you just love miracles......

Auto Transport Service
Back