• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

unknown 727 transmission leak

Robert Schaad

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
History for me. I had a trans leak on my BB with 727 trans. Fluid around trans gasket but Gasket is tight. No leak at shift linkage. No leak at dip stick tub. What is going on? Two times this happened and I found it. Just above the trans pan in the center at the back of the 727 trans is a PLUG. Some times it is a rubber plug. The Plug comes loose and leaks. Put some sealant on it and the leak stops. Hope that helps.

Sure sounds like low/reverse band anchor shaft. Not really a plug, jack up rear of car; thoroughly clean the area and try some good sealer after it’s all dry. Clean off all the original sealer also.

It's an o-ring seal, and the shaft does move a little. You can drop the valve body and disassemble the linkage to change the o ring. A little involved to do it that way, sealer works if you really clean the area like oldbee said.

Sure sounds like low/reverse band anchor shaft. Not really a plug, jack up rear of car; thoroughly clean the area and try some good sealer after it’s all dry. Clean off all the original sealer also.
MY leak was from a loose black rubber plug that was just under the tail shaft held in by a small finger that was part of the tail shaft housing. Cleaned up and put JB Weld on it and the leak stopped. By the way this was in Germany and no parts stores to buy American parts.

History for me. I had a trans leak on my BB with 727 trans. Fluid around trans gasket but Gasket is tight. No leak at shift linkage. No leak at dip stick tub. What is going on? Two times this happened and I found it. Just above the trans pan in the center at the back of the 727 trans is a PLUG. Some times it is a rubber plug. The Plug comes loose and leaks. Put some sealant on it and the leak stops. Hope that helps.

not supposed to be any plug back there, It is the mainshaft the has one or two o-ring seals on it depending on the year. I had the same problem years ago, Drove me nuts.. Then finally looked it up in the service manual. Took it to a local trans shop that was run an old school racer, fixed it right , no more leaks !!! Since then I have seen guys that have trie RTV , JB Weld etc... FIX IT RIGHT !!

Not supposed to be any plug back there, It is the mainshaft the has one or two o-ring seals on it depending on the year. I had the same problem years ago, Drove me nuts.. Then finally looked it up in the service manual. Took it to a local trans shop that was run an old school racer, fixed it right , no more leaks !!! Since then I have seen guys that have trie RTV , JB Weld etc... FIX IT RIGHT !!

Not supposed to be any plug back there, It is the mainshaft the has one or two o-ring seals on it depending on the year. I had the same problem years ago, Drove me nuts.. Then finally looked it up in the service manual. Took it to a local trans shop that was run an old school racer, fixed it right , no more leaks !!! Since then I have seen guys that have try RTV , JB Weld etc... FIX IT RIGHT !!

Not supposed to be any plug back there, It is the mainshaft the has one or two o-ring seals on it depending on the year. I had the same problem years ago, Drove me nuts.. Then finally looked it up in the service manual. Took it to a local trans shop that was run an old school racer, fixed it right , no more leaks !!! Since then I have seen guys that have trie RTV , JB Weld etc... FIX IT RIGHT !!
I only said a plug because I did not know it had O rings. I just pushed on it and it moved. I was in Germany and had to fix it. JB Weld worked. thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back