• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming Mecum auctions have questions on a few cars

Hopefully, the wheels were turned when the steering wheel picture was taken.

I've seen that steering wheel picture before. I wish they would list the VIN. Makes it easier to track down old ads.

I blew up one of their pics to show the steering wheel position and the front wheel/tire. Steering wheel position looks wrong.
Screenshot_20211225-205022~3.png

Not so sure about that. Look at this pic. Wheels straight and I see a spoke.
84021529-4992-4B10-AFC7-A54D8DA2390C.jpeg

Where's Jerry Hall?

Stupid question: is that plastic fuel filter factory? And what is an "inland" shifter?
White Plastic filters are correct for 66 and 67.

Inland is the manufacturer of the shifter before the switched to Hurst in 1969

FWIW, and I'm not going to bid, the only one worth pursuing is the white '67 GTX.

Is the steering wheel upside down? Looks odd.

Definitely send a Mopar expert to go over the car and documentation with a fine toothed comb.

The white GTX has my interest. But deep down i have a feeling its gonna be worth a lot more to someone than it is me.

But i like the red with red 68 gtx as well.
Again.....depends on how much

If they did, they weren't on Mopars. Cars with the Hurst shifter got a reverse light under the dash. Inland equipped cars did not.

Maybe I'm not understanding the feature. I have multiple Mopar 4 speeds, all Hurst shifters and you have to make a concerted effort to get them in to reverse. There is a reverse light under the dash. In other words, all are original drivelines and there is no way to accidentally shift in to reverse and it has nothing to do with the light. Maybe I'm missing something but they all do the same thing.

A novice can easily put a hurst in reverse. The inline you have to lift the lever below the handle to put it in reverse.

unnamed (4).jpg

Picture from Brewer's Performance

The white GTX has my interest. But deep down i have a feeling its gonna be worth a lot more to someone than it is me.

But i like the red with red 68 gtx as well.
Again.....depends on how much
The '68 GTX caught my eye too, but this one just doesn't ring my bell.

In general, people like the '68-'70 models more than the earlier body style. There will probably be several serious bidders on the '68. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bid just a little bit south of $90k; and then the buyer has more auction fees to pay.

The '67 HEMI 4 speed GTX probably has a high reserve price. I believe it has around 78k miles on the odometer. Who can blame him?

Hi Bill,

the EF8 dark green coloured 70 Super Bee has no fender tag or broadcastsheet.
It was for sale on facebook for a long time at 25k $$ last winter/spring. Went to a classic car dealer in Pompano beach, Florida

Here is an old listing from the dealer

1970 Dodge Super Bee for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1480502

Best wishes from germany

Carsten

The Bee seems to have a fender tag and is well optioned. Interior looks a little worn, especially the dash area. If dealer paid 20k to 25k last spring, might have a reserve of 40k plus, plus. Funny how Mecum show no interior or under hood photos. How is anyone expected to bid on line with no real pictures??

Last edited:
The Bee seems to have a fender tag and is well optioned. Interior looks a little worn, especially the dash area. If dealer paid 20k to 25k last spring, might have a reserve of 40k plus, plus. Funny how Mecum show no interior or under hood photos. How is anyone expected to bid on line with no real pictures??

a friend of mine inquired about the Bee when it was for sale for 25k $ a year ago.
IIRC he got told there is none. But I don't want to swear on it. If there is one it should be checked if it is an original.

Carsten

The '68 GTX caught my eye too, but this one just doesn't ring my bell.

In general, people like the '68-'70 models more than the earlier body style. There will probably be several serious bidders on the '68. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bid just a little bit south of $90k; and then the buyer has more auction fees to pay.

The '67 HEMI 4 speed GTX probably has a high reserve price. I believe it has around 78k miles on the odometer. Who can blame him?
After watching the buyer of my red '69 Track Pak GTX flip it for 63K (including buyer premium) I'm curious to see what the '68 at Mecum will bring. If it does well, I probably need to up the insurance on the car I replaced it with.

A novice can easily put a hurst in reverse. The inline you have to lift the lever below the handle to put it in reverse.

I just talked to a guy about this. If what you say is true, then all 4 of mine are "broken" the same way. He says that when working properly you can't accidentally shift to reverse with a Hurst. His only question was about the terminology. The reverse light under the dash was only to let you know you had it in that gear and not first. So at the risk of starting a heated debate, I'll say my Hurst shifterS are working the way they're supposed to.

Well, then, all of my 4 speed Hurst shifting Chrysler manuals are broken. Thanks!

No they aren't. You aren't understanding how an inland shifter shifts into reverse. Fret not, it's not you're fault; this is just what happens to a person's brain when they move to inbred land. :D

Minor point but - that isn't the correct color on the 440 in the GTX, is it?

the red 68 should have a turquoise engine......... not blue....... it's probably ford blue based on the lack of exhaust tips

also has the little 69 air cleaner, unless it's some california nonsense

and they never show the actual trunk pan, no one cares about the stupid mat

trunk striker painted red? I dont think that should be painted....... and the bolts dont match

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back