• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on the rescue of the 1966 Dodge D100 Step Side V8 4 speed pickup

Bart, Baca upholstery in Tucson can just replace the cracked vinyl panels on your bench seat. Excellent workmanship and really reasonable prices prices.

Thanks for the video update.

Never tried it myself, but guys i work with use foaming carpet cleaner and a soft scrub brush to clean seat belts.

Bart, Baca upholstery in Tucson can just replace the cracked vinyl panels on your bench seat. Excellent workmanship and really reasonable prices prices.

Thanks for the video update.
Thanks for the tips Bill, on the upholstered and the cleaning of the seat belts!

Any new updates?

Any new updates?

Actually yes! After getting the truck running and driving, I noted that it was overheating and pulling hard to the right on braking. I drained and pulled the radiator and found it full of grit and what looks like small gravel. I have taken the radiator to the shop for a good rodding out. I plan to flush the block this Sunday. As for the pulling issue, I pulled the front drums and found them badly worn, lots of ridges, and the bearings had very little grease. I ordered all the parts for new front brakes, and this afternoon, I am going to drop off the new and old drums so the hubs can be pressed from the old drums and in to the new drums. I will also replace the old left and right hand studs with all new right hand studs. Once I have the new drums back with the hubs and studs pressed in, and the clean radiator back, I will finish the brakes and radiator installation. I will fire up the truck and do another test drive and see what needs to be addressed next!
20180210_132010[1].jpg

Where did you find a shop to swap the hubs? I called many places in Tucson and they all laughed when I asked about front drums.

there are disc kits on thew market for these front drums , uses 75ish w100 or ramchargeer rotors . but the brackets are set up for gm sliding single piston calipers . i'm looking in to viper calipers for mine . doctor diff as a kit to use viper calipers on an a , b , and c body drum conversions with 75 up p/u 11 3/4'' rotors . so i'll be making up some brackets to use the viper calipers . i'll try to do post as blow by blow of it . i picked up a extra beam axle n spindles for the mod .

Where did you find a shop to swap the hubs? I called many places in Tucson and they all laughed when I asked about front drums.
Green Valley Radiator and Air Conditioning Auto Repairs - 520-625-9755
The owners name is Keith Livsey and he is an old school dude and he does a lot more that Radiators and AC. If you can wait a week or so, I can tell you how it works out for me, or feel free to give him a call! I was able to get the drums from Merle's/Napa auto parts.

there are disc kits on thew market for these front drums , uses 75ish w100 or ramchargeer rotors . but the brackets are set up for gm sliding single piston calipers . i'm looking in to viper calipers for mine . doctor diff as a kit to use viper calipers on an a , b , and c body drum conversions with 75 up p/u 11 3/4'' rotors . so i'll be making up some brackets to use the viper calipers . i'll try to do post as blow by blow of it . i picked up a extra beam axle n spindles for the mod .
That would be cool, but for me, I am going to stay old school because this old Utiline is pretty original.

so was mine , but now that its more of a driver . i feel that its a good mod to save the front sheet metal .

so was mine , but now that its more of a driver . i feel that its a good mod to save the front sheet metal .
I agree that is would be a good upgrade, but at the moment, I just want to get it running and driving, then I need to figure out where I go from there.

Ok Bill, I got the drums and hubs back and they look great. He pressed out the old hubs and studs from the old drums and pressed in the old hubs and the new studs in to the new drums and he even pressed the new bearing races in both hubs for me for only $75. I think it is a bargain. I mentioned that I might be sending another guy needing the same thing and he just said that he may need a week to get it done. Here are some pics.

20180302_163010.jpg
20180302_163021.jpg 20180302_163034.jpg 20180302_163104.jpg

Ok Bill, I got the drums and hubs back and they look great. He pressed out the old hubs and studs from the old drums and pressed in the old hubs and the new studs in to the new drums and he even pressed the new bearing races in both hubs for me for only $75. I think it is a bargain. I mentioned that I might be sending another guy needing the same thing and he just said that he may need a week to get it done. Here are some pics.

View attachment 577770 View attachment 577771 View attachment 577772 View attachment 577773
Thanks Bart. I gave Keith's contact info to my coworker. He has drums for two old mustang that need the hub swap.
Glad it worked out for you.

Any more updates? My wife likes this thread.

Any more updates? My wife likes this thread.
Well.............yes. I got the front brakes done and got the cooling system flushed and put back together with all new hoses and thermostat. I drove it over to a local shop that is going to look at a few things for me because I no longer enjoy working underneath and having crap fall in my eyes and mouth. The emergency brake cable is pretty badly frayed and the valve in the back of the car that send brake fluid to the rear wheels is taped to the axle housing with electrical tape, and I am pretty sure that is not right ;-) So when they get done, I need to decide whether or not I am going to sell the truck or find a way to keep it. I currently do not have a place to keep it in a garage, and I do not want to keep it outside as the summer sun is really hard or vehicles here in Arizona. So I have to figure out something.....we will see how it goes. The damn thing sat in my driveway for a couple months and did not leak a drop of anything! Anyhow, if you wife has not seen this video yet, please have her check it out:

well there is a member here in 63spf thats looking for a 60ty's shorty , he's asked me if i know of any like mine . yours fits that bill .

DSC06664.JPG

Ok, I have a 2.5 minute update for anyone who cares on the 1966 D100 Utiline that I rescued.

Auto Transport Service
Back