• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Control Arms

wldgtx

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
So a friend of mine is restoring a 69RR, he took the front upper control arms off and realized he needs to do a large clean up/restore of them as well as add new ball joints and bushings. He called me last night and asked "Should I just buy new stock replacements?"

I was not sure how to reply to that? Are the new stock replacements the same as original? Same gage steel? Is there a reason why NOT to simply replace with new stock replacements? I did a quick search last night and saw they are readily available from various sources including Classic Industries.

Thoughts?

They may be fine, though I cannot attest to their quality.
I wonder if they have the same high grade of steel as Chrysler used. I try to stick with factory parts on some things, if possible.

My .02 cents worth on the subject of replacement UCA's is go and purchase them.
Nothing wrong with them in my opinion, as i still do lots in the rebuilding of both LCA's, and UCA's.

I would clean them first and see if they are in good shape. They might clean up real nice if they are greasy. But if rusty and heavily pitted? I would buy new.

They aren't quite as heavy as the original and the upper ball joint is likely not real great.
Carefully check the bushings that come with them.
(I had a couple loose ones right out of the box)

All that said the uppers don't really see the work of the lower but keep the wheel aligned.

I would clean them first and see if they are in good shape. They might clean up real nice if they are greasy. But if rusty and heavily pitted? I would buy new.
That is the situation. They are extremely rusty and pitted. Thanks for the response.

So a friend of mine is restoring a 69RR, he took the front upper control arms off and realized he needs to do a large clean up/restore of them as well as add new ball joints and bushings. He called me last night and asked "Should I just buy new stock replacements?"

I was not sure how to reply to that? Are the new stock replacements the same as original? Same gage steel? Is there a reason why NOT to simply replace with new stock replacements? I did a quick search last night and saw they are readily available from various sources including Classic Industries.

Thoughts?
Here’s some Suggestions…..

“ New & Improved “….

Mopar2ya!

John

IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8203.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back