• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used car advice

Didn't GM 3.8's have head gasket issues? I know the 3.4 GM motor had lower intake gasket failure - in the rear bank on a FWD car.

Mine is 25 years old with no head gasket or intake manifold gasket issues. The intake manifold gasket on the SC motors "should" be replaced, but I haven't done mine yet.

All solid suggestions. Our Caravan was a solid runner and I had a Chevy HHR that except for right front hub going out twice was problem free for 7 years and 165k until it got t-boned. I still see quite a few HHRs driving around our area in good condition. Snow tires on in the winter easily handled our winters.

Now, I'll throw in a vehicle to avoid. My wife drove her Caravan for 280k without any major problems and I my Ram for 300k going thru just u-joints and bearings regularly. She then got a new 2016 Buick Encore 1.6L turbo which has been the worst car we've ever owned. 3 turbos, 2 evap cannisters, A/C problems twice and recently a cracked down the middle rear diff housing, along with other "smaller" problems all within 160k. First turbo was covered under the warranty. Everything else has occurred after the warranty. I'd personally avoid any used Encore. (We just bought a Mazda CX 50 to replace it)

I have check in Honda Toyota could be for us ,I don't trust almost everything.

I had a small Toyota truck once. One day I was driving along and the exhaust manifold fell off.

The 2022 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study has Toyota and Honda pretty far down the list. Buick is #1, Dodge #2.

I would take the older Buicks over the new ones. The V8 Lacrosse Super (1st gen Lacrosse) is intriguing, if you can stand to look at it. I don't have any experience with that one, and I don't like the front end, but V8 . . .

Bought a '97 Camry 4 cylinder 5 speed with 170,000 miles. It now has 325, ugly as hell with rust and a hail storm that took out the glass, but it's still getting 28-30mpg on the Interstate and doesn't use oil. I have installed 3 timing belts and 3 sets of tires and one clutch.
Taking it on a road trip next week because it gets twice the mileage of my Dodge and if it should die, I'll call AAA, sign it over to the tow operator, and stick out my thumb to the nearest bus terminal.
A/C, cruise, everything still works.

The Buicks have a good rep too.

Check out auctions for estate sales. They often sell cheap and they wouldn't be for sale if the last owner had any say in it.

2010 to 16 chevy impala.
The limited ( older body style) is the best bang for the buck.
Damn good cars. 30mpg and run forever.

We have had Toyota’s since 1973. Bought a new 1992 stick 4Runner in December 1991. Drove it for 364000 k Cost of repairs and paying the cost of the purchase worked out to 266.00$ Canadian per month.Bought a 2006 4L auto in November 2012. It should see us out.
The old 3.litre hauled big C bodies many times.
This 4 litre brought a 66 Charger drag body car up from Austin no problem. Got screwed by the seller. Another story.
Honda’s are a great car, some years not so good. Remcharger knows a lot about them.

Last edited:
I used to live in upstate New York where all types of salts and chemicals are used to clear the roadways of snow and ice.
Honda products melt away.
Toyota products held up well.
Subaru held up well except for the trim attachments. The trim was fine, but what was attached to the body dissolved and streaked down the body.
Mercedes Benz melt away.
BMW held up very well.
Audi held up very well.
VW held up very well.
Chevy/GM trucks were marginal.
Ford trucks were marginal.
Buick cars held up pretty well. For example, Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Maintenance is very easy.
Chevy Impala held up pretty well.
Dodge minivans held up pretty well, but not the paint.
Cadillac cars didn't hold up well.

Run winter snow tires on RWD cars. TireRack can be your guide!

Honda Odyssey minivan. I raised my kids through multiple and they run forever with minimal maintenance.
Toyota cars and almost indestructible via mileage (Camry, corolla, avalon)
I got lucky with my Mazda 3 going over 200k.

Find something about 10 years old with 100K maintenance done and you will be golden for years.

RGAZ

The wife’s 2016 Chrysler 300 is very nice, serms dependable though she has only 70k on it. The penastar v-6 runs very nice andd regularly gets 30+mpg on road trips. Its a little techy for me but she’s happy. And its RWD i wont have a FWD for poor road conditions.

I just traded in a 2012 Dodge Journey 4 cyl automatic bought it used in 2013 50k on it when we got rid of it 375,000 k on it. All I ever replaced were brakes and tires. I am religious about maintenance, I believe most modern cars will run trouble free with regular maintenance. Would have kept the Journey but I wanted something with 4wd. My grandpa used to preach “oil is cheaper than metal!”

Honda accord. Ford edge. Ford crown vic. Buick Park ave.

I've personally run, or have seen run by family all these cars to 300k with very minimal maintenance needed (other than basic oil changes and such). All very reliable cars and relatively cheap to get.
Ford Edge !! Nope, to many folks I know have had no end of problems with heir Edge, poc car. Four of four turned theirs back for a different model car/van. Lincoln version just as bad.

I've owned 4 or 5 mopar minivans, mostly Grand Caravans or T and C's. They were all used, mostly 100k plus miles when I bought them. I've had very good luck with the V-6 automatics. Years ago I had one that had a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi in it....it was very reliable but always used a small amount of oil. I'll probably buy another (my wife loves them).

Having said that: Toyota's reputation is pretty good.
Those 2.4: Mitsubishi were know to use some oil - just like their design cousins made by Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler. They all ghad same problem about oil, not excessive just irritating. Chrysler made it worse when they put the Fiat multi-air system on to it, made a pressure change that caused even more oil leakage, which hey pulled and developed a new system to be used to reduce the oil thing - made just available for Jeeps with that motor and other Chrysler models using it, except Journey because they used a different variant of the motor.

02 tundra 322000 everything works but rotted bad a shame it does not even use oil and NEVER babied work truck!! Don't owe me a dime. I will probably get $1500 for it.

I'd be surprised anything in the great white north used for daily driving and over 5 years old us not totally rusted out.

I’ve driven several Ford Taurus’s 200k+. The Taurus is cheap to own, cheap to fix, rides nice, and junk yards are full of them when you need a part. My nephew just dropped a 4 valve motor w/60k on the clock, in one for $1200.

My Chrysler minivans served me very well when kids were young. Heck, my current driver, a Chrysler 200, has 100k and I’ve only changed a thermostat…since 2015. Great car! And it’s a Chrysler!

I'd be surprised anything in the great white north used for daily driving and over 5 years old us not totally rusted out.
I really have to disagree! It depends where you live. Our 2006 4Runner does not have body rust. It has 146000 miles. We are in a similar situation to Dakota’s as far as humidity.
Parts of Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes are similar to The East side of the US. Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta don’t rust out nearly as fast. I have a 66 Charger body that has been sitting outside sine 1992 with the roof cut off. Rear floor pan could still be used.
We have lots of early 90’s daily drivers that still would pass a safety inspection.

We had a 2012 grand caravan and charger both 3.6 for 9 years, both were perfectly fine. Mom has a 2016 3.6 grand Cherokee, no issues

Auto Transport Service
Back