• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used car dealership

68sprtsat383

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
My wife and I have been looking for a older dodge Dakota truck for our son for awhile now. So I found one in NC and called the guy two times this week. We planned on going down this morning. While getting ready the guy calls me and says the owner refuses to sell it to a person from Virginia because of paper work issues with the DMV. I purchased my 99 ram 1500 from King Nc yrs back with no issues. Have any of you guys ever heard of anything like this before or had this happen to you before. Here are some pictures of the truck one owner 88000 miles.

1994-dodge-dakota-slt-2dr-extended-cab-sb.jpg

1994-dodge-dakota-slt-2dr-extended-cab-sb (1).jpg

1994-dodge-dakota-slt-2dr-extended-cab-sb (2).jpg

1994-dodge-dakota-slt-2dr-extended-cab-sb (3).jpg

1994-dodge-dakota-slt-2dr-extended-cab-sb (4).jpg

Nice looking truck!
The only times I've had issues buying from out of state is when the seller doesn't have title/registration in their own name. A lot of times I get the "I bought it but never registered it" line followed by "you can go to DMV and get a replacement title" BS.

Edit: oh, almost forgot. There was one time I bought a boat in CT (I live in NY) and the DMV zombie rejected my paper work because I had a CT bill of sale ( along with all the proper title). I explained that I SHOULD have a CT bill of sale since I bought it in CT. She said I should go back and get a NY bill of sale......right.....I just went to another window and spoke to another DMV zombie who gave me no issues.

The only issues I've ever heard about was stuff like Petey just posted. I'm glad the desk jockeys at the DMV by me actually know something! Nice looking truck. Is it a V8? If so, I'd fight for it.

No it's a V6. They are asking more than I would give for a 94 model but I was going to offer than cash for the truck and hoping they would accept my offer

If that is a dealership there shouldn't be a problem unless it is a consignment truck. Nice looking truck. Why can't the dealership transfer the truck to themselves and then they can transfer it to you.

Keep looking. If they don't want to sell out of state run. V8 in those years got better gas mileage than the V6. We did good to get 16mpg out of our 93 3.9. Most I have talked to were getting 20 or better out of the 5.2.

Is it a 94, 5 or 6? I've had several V6 Dakotas and have 2 now. The best mpg was from an 87 and it was carbed. The V6 needs a 3.92 rear end to put it into the torque band. It just doesn't have the pep with 3.55's and even though I live in the flat lands, I've never had another V6 give me decent mileage other than that 87. My 95 (had it since my dad passed on in 98) still runs good and gets better mpg than my 96. It even has better pep. I'm about to pull the cat off the 96 and see if maybe that's the problem. I pulled the cat off the 95 over over 20 years ago but it didn't affect mpg or the pep. It's also nice being able to goose the gas at a green light to wake up some moron that decides to shove their cell phone up where the sun doesn't shine and not get the bird shoved at me or worse. Horns here seem to piss off people here....and some are stooopid enough to pull out a gun just because someone sounded their horn at one of these morons.

It's a 94 model. Salesman told me the grandfather gave truck to his grandson but wasn't his cup of tea. That's how they got the truck. It has a clean car fax report and shows it's been titled only 2 times once in 94 and back in July of this year. I'm starting to think they may have someone else wanting to buy it that's local. He told me on Tuesday that they had a few people show interest but no offers. Hell I was just wanting to look at it check fluids and drive it before I got to serious about it. But was willing to offer a cash offer to avoid financing. I've also thought about getting my sister to call just to see what they might say to her. My wife suggested a friend of hers that works at a local Dodge dealer call and see if they can get it transferred but I'm not sure about doing that.

My uncle had a 96 model 2wd v6 5sp with 3.92 gears it had alot of pep to it. Not sure whatever happened to it. All the older Dakota's around here are very high mileage with alot of rust. Seen one advertised the other day for a parts truck only do to rotten and broken frame.

If that is a dealership there shouldn't be a problem unless it is a consignment truck. Nice looking truck. Why can't the dealership transfer the truck to themselves and then they can transfer it to you.
Even if it is a consignment truck, the title should be at the dealer! When I bought my 66-300 from an old car dealer, it was on consignment and the owner's nephew who bequeathed it lived in a different state. I'd call and drill this dealer for some answers if you really want that truck! Good Luck

What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

My wife and I have been looking for a older dodge Dakota truck for our son for awhile now. So I found one in NC and called the guy two times this week. We planned on going down this morning. While getting ready the guy calls me and says the owner refuses to sell it to a person from Virginia because of paper work issues with the DMV. I purchased my 99 ram 1500 from King Nc yrs back with no issues. Have any of you guys ever heard of anything like this before or had this happen to you before. Here are some pictures of the truck one owner 88000 miles.

View attachment 1330913

View attachment 1330914

View attachment 1330915

View attachment 1330916

View attachment 1330917
That's a dandy! I have 2 96 Dakotas and like them better than the 2000 I owned.

My uncle had a 96 model 2wd v6 5sp with 3.92 gears it had alot of pep to it. Not sure whatever happened to it. All the older Dakota's around here are very high mileage with alot of rust. Seen one advertised the other day for a parts truck only do to rotten and broken frame.
Rotten frame. Yep. Both mine are having those issues. Iowa trucks though.

First time I’ve heard a ‘dealer’ doesn’t want to sell cuz of the state the buyer resides in. I’ve purchased cars/trucks in several states never an issue. DMV paperwork hassles are on the buyer as I’ve found..

DMV paperwork hassles are on the buyer as I’ve found..

Exactly! And to add insult to this. I don't know any dealer who would take a vehicle on consignment or otherwise without a title to be put on the lot, I know I wouldn't! That'd be to big of a liability for the dealer to do that. And I'm sure there's a bunch of legal issues as well. Go get that truck! Good Luck

It's a 94 model. Salesman told me the grandfather gave truck to his grandson but wasn't his cup of tea. That's how they got the truck. It has a clean car fax report and shows it's been titled only 2 times once in 94 and back in July of this year. I'm starting to think they may have someone else wanting to buy it that's local. He told me on Tuesday that they had a few people show interest but no offers. Hell I was just wanting to look at it check fluids and drive it before I got to serious about it. But was willing to offer a cash offer to avoid financing. I've also thought about getting my sister to call just to see what they might say to her. My wife suggested a friend of hers that works at a local Dodge dealer call and see if they can get it transferred but I'm not sure about doing that.
Think I'd look into the friend thing and see what happens....

Yup, the Dakotas didn't do well up in the rust belt. Both of mine are totally rust free and the 95 has spent most of it's time outside. The last several years it at least got to sit under a carport.....and was so totally surprised at the condition of the 96, I couldn't pass it up. Thought I was paying a bit much for it at 2500 but man, it's straight with a very good seat, carpet, dash etc and the AC is the best I've had in a Dakota. The guy was asking 3500 and is why it didn't sell I'm guessing. It's another red truck though and I just hate red lol. It got named Red 2 after the 97 Diesel which is Red 1....

Exactly! And to add insult to this. I don't know any dealer who would take a vehicle on consignment or otherwise without a title to be put on the lot, I know I wouldn't! That'd be to big of a liability for the dealer to do that. And I'm sure there's a bunch of legal issues as well. Go get that truck! Good Luck
Not to derail the story here but brings to mind a dilemma a friend of mine has. He bought a nice dual axle trailer 6 months ago from a well-known sizeable equipment dealer around us and well, trusted the owner to provide the title he ‘promised’ would be forthcoming. This biz was closing out; a reason they were unloading inventory at nice prices.

Six months and still waiting. In the mix (there’s a lot of mix) is the VIN # isn’t fully legible. Checked with my brother, retired state trooper, saying mfg’s typically have MORE than one spot they post the VIN # and may include on an axle. Well, the dealer also did service/repairs and come to find they put new axles on it. So much for dat after looking in every nook and cranny for another #. Then the dealer said they sold the trailer for another guy. Several phone calls later, same story – we’re working on getting the title from the owner; BUT won’t say WHO da hell the owner is. Have an idea what might have occurred: They did repairs and the owner couldn’t drum up the cash to pay for it, so they held it meanwhile as the months went on…the biz is closing down. Have the plate; but unlike the old days, running a plate willy-nilly to ID the owner can be toxic stuff, so I’m informed.

Yep, my bud is kicking himself knowing better. This is a can of worms with no title and complete VIN. Going to the DMV to lay this out sure seems like another can of worms not knowing the full story..

Think I'd look into the friend thing and see what happens....

Yup, the Dakotas didn't do well up in the rust belt. Both of mine are totally rust free and the 95 has spent most of it's time outside. The last several years it at least got to sit under a carport.....and was so totally surprised at the condition of the 96, I couldn't pass it up. Thought I was paying a bit much for it at 2500 but man, it's straight with a very good seat, carpet, dash etc and the AC is the best I've had in a Dakota. The guy was asking 3500 and is why it didn't sell I'm guessing. It's another red truck though and I just hate red lol. It got named Red 2 after the 97 Diesel which is Red 1....
I should be looking further south for a nice truck. Road Trip!

Talked to my sister who has bought almost of her vehicles out of NC. She thinks something is a miss either with the title or the truck itself. I'm guessing title but who knows. She's going to call them on Monday to see what they say to her about it. I'll be interested in seeing what they say to her. But in the meantime I will keep looking. Found another really nice one in Tampa FL but lord they wasnt 20grand. It's a 95 4wd 318 truck. Two tone paint granted it is in excellent condition but 20grand not for me. It has 95000 miles or so on it. It's on streetside classic cars if anyone wants to check it out.

Must be 2 cars and also 2 trucks (Dakota’s) over the years bought out of state surfing the web coming from friendlier climates. And my ’63 from CA. Couple of times got on a plane and drove them home. Yeah, rust-belt kills vehicles savagely. First ride I restored with my dear-departed dad, was a vert my mother bought and it eventually got handed around the family as a loaner for years. Geezuz, what we ended up doing to bring it back! Great learning experience though. Said then, NO way I’m doing another rust bucket. Lol, after getting into restoring the ’63 was night & day. Example, ordered new brake lines when redoing it; when I took out the axle housing, brake lines came off perfect and put those back on. No torching or cutting off bolts, sandblasting, etc.

My ’05 Dakota Laramie all - optioned came from a better climate with low mileage; but still exposed to salt, especially for the 6 years I drove it for work. Box and fenders rusted badly so did a body transplant last year. After looking at prices for new/newer Rams such as getting one five years old, with 20k less miles than mine for $35k, just thought why fork out da cash despite being able to fork? If the Dakota was still available may have thought more. New rides are not a must have for me. $4,500 later my Dak looks pretty much new and being retired now, might be my last truck. Luv my old truck.

Talked to my sister who has bought almost of her vehicles out of NC. She thinks something is a miss either with the title or the truck itself. I'm guessing title but who knows. She's going to call them on Monday to see what they say to her about it. I'll be interested in seeing what they say to her. But in the meantime I will keep looking. Found another really nice one in Tampa FL but lord they wasnt 20grand. It's a 95 4wd 318 truck. Two tone paint granted it is in excellent condition but 20grand not for me. It has 95000 miles or so on it. It's on streetside classic cars if anyone wants to check it out.
And they are out of their freaking minds!!!! Even for one that has 95k on it. My 95 has just over 104k on it but geez, those miles are hard hard hard!! lol My 96 has a bit over 140k but I'd rather drive the 95. Probably because the 95 has a straight pipe and looks like hell warmed over (paint sucks) and so far it's been hit twice and doesn't show it lol

Auto Transport Service
Back