• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Useful trash

ckessel

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I'm always on the hunt for useful "trash" wherever I am. Today I was at Costco getting some stuff when I was in the paper towel/tp section. I got some of each and then noticed what was being used to separate the layers of packages. Large pieces of poster board thats perfect to use for making templates. I've been harvesting some smaller sections from cereal/cracker/pizza boxes but for some projects, need larger. Getting the thicker material like what I've scrounged is about impossible at places where thinner material is sold. A week or so ago my boss at the parts store, also owns the auto glass shop, asked me to take care of a pile of cardboard boxes, old glass and packing material. In that pile of trash that I came across a few chunks of foam insulation, some bubble wrap that looks like a air mattress and some short sections of butyl/urethane glass ribbon adhesive. The foam and bubble stuff was used to protect the new windshields while in their boxes. I'll use the bubble stuff to give my doors some further protection while they are on the dollies. The foam will get used for padding/protection somewhere else. When I used to work at the body shop some years ago, Ford/Toyota and some others used foam bags with a slick outer shell for the bumper covers we would get. That stuff works very well as a wrap for fender stands, protection of doors on two post lifts and several other areas. The foam works great on the two posts for door protection too.
If you guys/gals are in need of wood for blocks, shelves etc, volunteer to clean up a construction site. All sorts of items can get found there. Nails/screws/wiring/electrical boxes/outlets etc etc.

0CA81FE5-B089-474D-8D44-7863605ED5EA.jpeg 73E835DD-3D0F-4B72-A7B1-42DCFD3B05B8.jpeg DFBF2E17-454B-4837-B0F5-87C1B2C287C8.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back