• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Evaporust in 5gal bucket

Dodge33

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Has any of you members have any tips or tricks on using Evaporust, just seeing if anybody has any do's or do not do's.
I basically live in a cold weather climate in Mich, but the shop heat is on 7 days, 24 hours a day, but do turn the
heat down to 50-55 at night. I am appreciative of all responses. Thanks, Members.

Use it all the time but usually buy it in gallon buckets and pour into other containers depending on the part size, etc. I don't think you will have a temp issue above freezing. Some parts are better blasted but there are others that blasting can't get to. Evaporust does an excellent job in my view. I will also keep a container that I will filter back into, and keep separate from unused. It will eventually get sludgy if left out, but it is easily cleaned with water. Evaporust is environmentally friendly and can be poured down the drain, etc. My biggest problem is finding the right size plastic container appropriate for the part I'm cleaning.

The only advice I can give you is to clean the parts of all oil and grease beforehand. Your shop temperature should be fine. Expect it to take a couple few days to work! 440'

Yeah, no temp issues I'm aware of. It can be used over and over, and 'reconstituted' with more water.

Big thing to remember is that parts need to be grease/oil free. Evaporust will not touch greasy/oily parts. So scrub them well with solvent of your choice before trying to remove the rust.

Do not put anything galvanized in the stuff. Once the Evaporust starts going black it's about done, but you can keep using it at that stage to give bolts a factory look..

I use molasses and water in a plastic storage container, it’s cheaper. lol

Has any of you members have any tips or tricks on using Evaporust, just seeing if anybody has any do's or do not do's.
I basically live in a cold weather climate in Mich, but the shop heat is on 7 days, 24 hours a day, but do turn the
heat down to 50-55 at night. I am appreciative of all responses. Thanks, Members.
My 2 cents: I live 13 miles from the geographical center of the lower peninsula of Michigan, and use white vinegar for stripping parts (as long as you're not in a rush). It's cheap, bio friendly, don't know if it will freeze (mine never has). It doesn't care whats on the part, if it doesn't dissolve it, it gets under it and it will wash off with the rinse. Be ready to coat/paint once the part is dry, it will start to show rust in less than 20 min.

Trick of the week, de-rust a big part with a little Evapo-rust.. Put the part in a plastic bag.... Put the bag with the part in it in a large container.... Pour your evapo-rust in the bag... Now put water in the container outside the bag till the evapo-rust covers the whole part...

Electrolysis rust removal is extremely simple. Baking soda, water, battery charger w minimum 10 amp. Tons of videos on how to do it.

You can use a large container and then use milk jugs, Gatorade bottles, pop bottles filled with water to take up space. You can also build a wood box and fill it with dirt, then hollow out a spot the size of the part, add a plastic liner and then put the part and evaporust in. Driveshafts fit in a 4" pvc pipe with end caps, as do t-bars and spring leaves.

I thought there was something about using EvapoRust at or above 60 or 70* for it to be effective? I use it all the time, seems in the winter it takes longer to work.

I used a
crystal toilet bowl cleaner like vanish. Used half a can to 5 gallons of water. Got every piece of rust out of cracks. Let me know if you try it.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back