• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V groove vs Serpentine

I was looking at the March pulleys, alternator and crank only and just route it like that, I don’t think I would need a idler, right? It’s up in the air I’m still working on the car and collecting parts so just something I’ve been thinking about.
My wife's car has the March set up, there is not a tensioner in the system, but there is an idler.
Proper tension it achieved with a turn buckle with a heim joint on each end. One attaches to the altenator the other to the wp bolt.
Have never had any issues, have to tighten the belt every now and then due to stretch.
I have the complete set up for my 440, can't wait to put it on!

Last edited:
For all your running I don't know that I'd invest the money?? If you do go serpentine get a setup that's one belt with a tensioner not one of those kits with 2 belts that you have to adjust. I went with a serpentine for 2 reasons.
#1 my 150 amp alternator constantly had the belt squealing on start up.

#2 I occasionally threw the power steering belt doing burnouts.

For all your running I don't know that I'd invest the money?? If you do go serpentine get a setup that's one belt with a tensioner not one of those kits with 2 belts that you have to adjust. I went with a serpentine for 2 reasons.
#1 my 150 amp alternator constantly had the belt squealing on start up.

#2 I occasionally threw the power steering belt doing burnouts.
Ya I mean I already have the v groove set up I guess I should see how it goes. One thing I don’t like about it is that it’s the under drive crank pulley from 440 source.

I still run v belts on my Hemi. No belts slipping or flinging off all the way up to 7300 on Dyno.

20160414_201144.jpg

I still run v belts on my Hemi. No belts slipping or flinging off all the way up to 7300 on Dyno.

View attachment 728801

Nice setup. This is what I was saying about driving each accessory with different belts. Almost 1/2 the pulley is in contact with the belt, and the belts are shorter so it is less likely to slip or throw a belt.

I put the cvf serpentine kit on my 383. The engine, and trans are going onto a u.s. cartool dolly soon. Cvf system was an easy bolt on. It looks really nice too. Just had to run the alternator to a shop. They pressed the pulley on with no problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back