• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valuation Ideas On 69 Chargers In The Last 5 Years??

If you've been involved in this hobby for any length of time, I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that 70-71 E-bodies have enjoyed the spotlight long before 2nd gen Chargers have. I used to go to shows like the Ohio nats since the late 80's when 'Cudas and Challengers were the rockstars and a 68 Charger was just another Charger. There were other factors that choked off the musclecar market after '71. Regardless, the main topic here was regarding values of 2nd gen Chargers.
I've owned a number of examples of both... They both have their appeal... E bodies definitely have had their time in the spotlight... Chargers have too to a lesser extent, it's good to see the Chargers get the recognition they deserve... Even if it does push them outta my comfort zone... Guess I'll just have to get by with a couple E body verts & a 68 Coronet R/T vert...

If you've been involved in this hobby for any length of time, I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that 70-71 E-bodies have enjoyed the spotlight long before 2nd gen Chargers have. I used to go to shows like the Ohio nats since the late 80's when 'Cudas and Challengers were the rockstars and a 68 Charger was just another Charger. There were other factors that choked off the musclecar market after '71. Regardless, the main topic here was regarding values of 2nd gen Chargers.
I've been involved in this hobby for 49 years when I bought a 1956 Thunderbird in 1974 so I'm very aware of and have followed the hobby since then. I bought a '71 Cuda 340 convertible in 1981 and it was my daily driver until 1988. I've gone to the Mopar Nats since 1986 so I'm pretty aware if prices are 'real or not'. Again, it's hard to believe the asking prices are actually paid for these Chargers. Only the sellers and buyers know for sure. If they're getting these prices more power to 'em but I wouldn't pay near these prices even though I like those Chargers. The main topic was values of 2nd Gen Chargers, I stated a comparison of the '70'-'71 E body cars to get my point across that those asking prices are too high. End of story.

This will piss some people off but I don't care.....
I have seen people get online to announce their latest purchase of some desired classic car. They go on and on about the condition, the long process of looking for this type of car, the ordeal to get it home and what their plans are.'
THEN they intentionally avoid telling what they paid.
This is their right but it serves as a huge disservice to everyone else. To me, it is selfish to keep the price a secret.
With newer cars, there are fairly accurate guidelines on values. On classics, it fluctuates wildly.
If Joe Blow from Idaho gets on a forum to brag about his Road Runner he bought, 50,000 mile 383 4 speed with no rust, when he tells what he paid, it helps others when they are looking to buy or sell. If he decided to zip his lips about the price, future buyers may pay far more than they had to or lonely impoverished widows would sell the car way too cheap. An established sale price helps establish a credible value far better than the hugely inflated car auction sales.
Yeah, I know....nobody is obligated to tell what they paid. It is their choice.
Nobody is obligated to get on any car forum to brag about it either. We often do that to share our excitement about the experience. It does not help the hobby or anyone in it when any future sale has no ball park guideline on the values.

It does not help the hobby or anyone in it when any future sale has no ball park guideline on the values.
I've been able to exchange pricing information with others on this site, and found it helpful. There is no question that there are myriad factors that go into pricing any given car, and the pool of qualified buyers is relatively small.

I bought a 68 Charger project in 2016 for $3,000. I have not seen another one that cheap since then. My dad bought a 70 Charger 4 speed project in 1997 for $200 and a running 1973 Honda 90 motorcycle. It seems like it takes $10,000 to buy a rusty project these days. There are a few good deals left out there I think but they are far and few between. Times have changed.

Well my Father ripped me off in 1979 for $3600 + 10% interest over 3 years for my Bee and he paid no where near that. My Son is in for a shocker I tell ya !!! :lol:

I've been involved in this hobby for 49 years when I bought a 1956 Thunderbird in 1974 so I'm very aware of and have followed the hobby since then. I bought a '71 Cuda 340 convertible in 1981 and it was my daily driver until 1988. I've gone to the Mopar Nats since 1986 so I'm pretty aware if prices are 'real or not'. Again, it's hard to believe the asking prices are actually paid for these Chargers. Only the sellers and buyers know for sure. If they're getting these prices more power to 'em but I wouldn't pay near these prices even though I like those Chargers. The main topic was values of 2nd Gen Chargers, I stated a comparison of the '70'-'71 E body cars to get my point across that those asking prices are too high. End of story.
The prices can't be too high if someone is crazy enough to pay it. I'd never be able to afford to buy the car I have now in today's market, but in '87 they weren't really worth a lot. My friends and I always say if we're going to die with our cars they may as well be worth $50.

It is what it is and there is also now a worldwide demand for these cars. The individual is also now competing and dealing with business competition that specializes in hunting and exporting muscle cars, with finders fees paid that are working with importers and sellers on the other end. So we’re not only up against traditional dealers.

Unfortunately the hobby has gone mainstream and catching these cars before their pushed up the profit ladder is hard.

Things have changed.

This will piss some people off but I don't care.....
I have seen people get online to announce their latest purchase of some desired classic car. They go on and on about the condition, the long process of looking for this type of car, the ordeal to get it home and what their plans are.'
THEN they intentionally avoid telling what they paid.
This is their right but it serves as a huge disservice to everyone else. To me, it is selfish to keep the price a secret.
With newer cars, there are fairly accurate guidelines on values. On classics, it fluctuates wildly.
If Joe Blow from Idaho gets on a forum to brag about his Road Runner he bought, 50,000 mile 383 4 speed with no rust, when he tells what he paid, it helps others when they are looking to buy or sell. If he decided to zip his lips about the price, future buyers may pay far more than they had to or lonely impoverished widows would sell the car way too cheap. An established sale price helps establish a credible value far better than the hugely inflated car auction sales.
Yeah, I know....nobody is obligated to tell what they paid. It is their choice.
Nobody is obligated to get on any car forum to brag about it either. We often do that to share our excitement about the experience. It does not help the hobby or anyone in it when any future sale has no ball park guideline on the values.
Part of the "Business" of selling cars, whether it be personally, or commercially, is the possibility of getting more for your vehicle based on a person's selling ability, and the buyers inability. Remove that, and it actually regulates pricing according to "Joe Shmo" and everyone else that does the same. I'd rather not say what I paid for mine, because it was a sweet deal, and there are people that will devalue the vehicle based on their own ideas and price, rather than take into account the variables that came into play in order to make it a sweet deal. If and when I do sell. There will be very long list to read from all that was done, including pricing itemized for provenance, and add weight to the asking price. "The Art of The Deal"

Auto Transport Service
Back