• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value Help - 1969 Charger R/T J code rolling shell

1968rt

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Got a call from a friend. His neighbor is selling a 69 Charger R/T J code car rolling shell. He says the car is in nice shape. No rust original panels. Needs motor and tranny. I dont have any pictures at this point. Whats a good price for a rolling shell in nice shape? Thanks

Yeah, as snakeoil24 says
Old Car Price guide

#5: $6,400
Ad 100 percent for the Hemi

Everyone’s opinion of nice varies... Got some pics for eval? 68-70 is the hottest you can get so expect a premium price.

The way these cars are selling a J code rust free roller depending on a lot could be a 50K car.

Hes telling me everything is intact but the motor and tranny. He says it has nice original paint also. I hope to have pictures this week.

It could be as high as $100k depending. Add $50k for engine and trans and it comes up to $150k if it's a 4 speed. But I bet it isn't as nice as that and maybe it's an auto.
These threads are kind of like asking if a guy should marry a girl named Jill without knowing anything about her.

Really depends on allot of things, I have a friend who has an original paint black 69 Hemi Charger, California car, no rust ever, White interior, 4 speed, hasn't run in probably 35 years, when he got it it was missing engine & trans, he has a block & 4 Spd... Two years ago he moved back east to Pittsburgh (I have no idea why, I get leaving Ca, I don't have any desire to go to Pittsburgh) A car like his I could see someone paying 75K pretty easily...

Last edited:
Well heres some pictures. no fender tag, no windshield front and rear,. trunk floor and rear valance have to be done over. Gold car, 4 speed. says he has all other parts but motor and tranny.

IMG_3004.JPEG IMG_3009.JPEG IMG_3011.JPEG IMG_3013.JPEG IMG_3014.JPEG IMG_3015.JPEG IMG_3016.JPEG IMG_3020.JPEG IMG_3027.JPEG IMG_3031.JPEG

I see a minimum of 100K getting put into it. If you could get it for under 10, it's a steal, but are you prepared to spend that much?

I retract my price. That car may have potential. Workman ship is horrible.I would look it over well and all documentation and numbers. J code Chargers normally would not be left like that.

I see a minimum of 100K getting put into it. If you could get it for under 10, it's a steal, but are you prepared to spend that much?
Yeah I think if u get this for 40k your doing OK

Yeah I think if u get this for 40k your doing OK

Agreed,

AS LONG as the vin matches the numbers on the body, If not, WALK away

That said. If its real, 4 spd , Dana pwr window car ?? I could see 40k the way it sits pretty easily. maybe even a little more. And said amount would depend on what you can do yourself,, ,,,,,and intend with the car itself , be it keep and finish or resell as is

BUT no tag for me personally would not go any higher than that.

Someone else might if it turns out it legit

The simplest thing you can do is look at the VIN on the title. Then get the numbers off the core support and trunk lip. Those numbers need to be J code and match the title. Look at the torque boxes, rear shackle reinforcement and pinion snubber reinforcement.

Wow: I'd like to hear the story on the installation of that trunk floor. Agree on $40k. I think it's going to need a lot to get the body into shape. No sheet or tag is going to really hurt it if you try to sell it after putting all that it needs into it to make it right. It will never be numbers matching, you'll never be able to prove it's a four speed car without the original trans and no sheet or tag.
No one says you have to do a perfect restoration but if you don't on a real Hemi car it will get pooh poohed everywhere you go.

Auto Transport Service
Back