• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of 413 & 440 Blocks

66/440

Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
Any ideas on the value of standard bore 413 and 440 blocks? I have the opportunity to purchase a couple of 413 blocks and 5 440 blocks and am trying to get a feel for the market before I make a deal. It's going to be a negation for the lot and need to be educated before I start. He also has some 4 speeds but is not sure what they all are. I know he said a couple were 4 speed over drives.

67-72 440 blocks would be worth more to most B body guys. Racing applications will use most any block that is good. HP makes a difference too, not that it's anything more than a stamp. 413 blocks, original car blocks are worth the most to restoration guys. My guess is 100-500 depending on condition and stipulations above. Best case scenario is you find one that matches someone's pride and joy.

I would pass on the 413 blocks if you’re looking to flip them and I think the $100 to $500 range is about right according to condition and make sure that they have main caps.

For comparison I got a 1968 440 block complete pan to intake and was never apart -- scored it for $800 which was about market 2 years ago. The 440 blocks are about $300 to me as unless you can get them magged and checked they are somewhat of a gamble. the 413 blocks are probably about $100-$150 as they don't bring the same $$$ as a 440 block

A base bare 440 block...$100
With matching main caps, some more.
Add to that anything 67-72 is worth more to numbers guys
Anything 67-72hp is worth considerately more
Something like a 70hp known good could stretch $750-950.
Very regional and opportunistic since they are some trouble to ship.

Like said above, bare blocks are a gamble without being checked out by a reputable machine shop. Complete engines, never opened is the better choice if possible. Year also makes a big difference for the purist.

What would you people say a 68 Charger HP 4-speed long block, pan to intake, pulled in late 70s is valued? Never been apart.

If it's not stuck, I would say 900 maybe more.

Does it have hp exhaust manifolds? No carb or air cleaner it sounds.

Does it have hp exhaust manifolds? No carb or air cleaner it sounds.

Not stuck. Its been cared for and inside since pulled. No carb or air cleaner. Keeping exhaust manifolds and pulleys. Has distributor.

Any ideas on the value of standard bore 413 and 440 blocks? I have the opportunity to purchase a couple of 413 blocks and 5 440 blocks and am trying to get a feel for the market before I make a deal. It's going to be a negation for the lot and need to be educated before I start. He also has some 4 speeds but is not sure what they all are. I know he said a couple were 4 speed over drives.

Blocks aren't worth much until they have been checked out fully. The 413 blocks are almost worthless so I wouldn't buy those unless it has to be a package deal. 440 blocks are worth $500+ once they have been tanked, magnafluxed and sonic checked. Roughly 1/2 of the blocks available these days won't pass a sonic check so don't get your hopes too high.

Like said above, bare blocks are a gamble without being checked out by a reputable machine shop. Complete engines, never opened is the better choice if possible. Year also makes a big difference for the purist.
Even complete engines are a gamble. Last couple of complete engines I bought were junk. It takes a few hours to pull a complete engine apart and check the block. If the block is no good then you've just wasted most of a day on a pile of scrap that all goes into the recycle bin.

I just bought a 69 440HP block with a forged crank for 250

I just bought a 69 440HP block with a forged crank for 250
That is a fair price. The crank can be sold for $100 and the block will be worth more than $500 if it checks out. It costs about $300 to hot tank, magnaflux and sonic check a block so you'll have $450 invested in it before you know if it is worth anything. Buying blocks is no way to get rich. You spend a bunch of money and time and sometimes you get the money back and sometimes you don't.

That is a fair price. The crank can be sold for $100 and the block will be worth more than $500 if it checks out. It costs about $300 to hot tank, magnaflux and sonic check a block so you'll have $450 invested in it before you know if it is worth anything. Buying blocks is no way to get rich. You spend a bunch of money and time and sometimes you get the money back and sometimes you don't.
I bought it to be built. I would like to have a fresh engine for my 65

I just consider them as scrap until I can sonic check them and mag check them. Okay, maybe not scrap but cheap until I can confirm they are good or not. I usually pick them up for a couple of hundred bucks. Around here they seem to go from $500.00 to $1200.00 these days depending on the year, but I am not a numbers guy so year never matters to me. I have had 78 truck motors sonic check better than 68-70 performance blocks of that era. Hell, I just traded a 70' 383 block for a 76' 440 block because the dude wanted a 70' 383 block for his 70' Barracuda.

I bought my 67 440 block carb to pan for 700 dollars out of a Chrysler 300. The guy through in a radiator and a box of engine pulleys also.

Okay bare block they need to be magna fluxed , i had mine done at Machine shop 350.00 cash i would get with Nick Pantarais from Indy Auto in Lavalle Que he is ALWAYS looking for 440 blocks for customers look up Nicks Garage on You Tube ....just a thought , ps if.its me i would pass on um unless they were free or you maybe stuck with boat anchors

This was one of my better deals recently. Guy on craigslist was selling a bare 440 block for $200. Went to see him and it turns out he used to work in a machine shop and that he had stashed away some Mopar 440 blocks. The blocks were standard bore, bare, tanked and magnafluxed and he wanted $200 each just to clean out his garage. I also picked up a bare 440 block for free from a buddy who had to clean out the garage so his wife's car would fit. Of course, I have lots of bad stories to tell to about buying blocks that ended up being cracked or busted or had thin walls. Even with the good scores I barely break even on blocks.
DSC_3338 (Large).JPG

Here is a picture from my old shop. This is back in the day when I'd buy blocks on a regular basis. They are a little harder to find these days.
2-23 (Large).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back