• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover bolt size

AFT1973

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Hi All. Chasing down the dreaded / usual valve cover oil leak in 73 Roadrunner 400 / 6.6L. Come to find that the valve cover has been cracked due to too many “uga ugas” in the past. I’d curse out my brother in law / prior owner but he’s passed on. It isn’t as much fun without getting a reaction tbh.

At some point the bolts were placed with stainless 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 hex bolts and washers. Got new basic aftermarket Edelbrock Chrome covers on the way for time being.

To avoid other issues. Are the bolts supposed to be 3/4 long? Washers or spreaders? Cork or newer style gaskets?

Much obliged Mopar gurus.

IMG_1271.jpeg

How about short studs or cut some 1/4" threaded rod to length and use nuts/flat washers. Even acorns even for a clean look..

TBH. Didn’t give studs or the like any thought. It may be an option. Acorns too. Think threaded rod can handle engine use / temps?

It depends on your choice of valve cover and gaskets, or you could use studs and length won’t be as critical. I used ARP 12 point stainless studs and nuts when installing the cast aluminum valve covers on my BBC, they look trick and were super easy to use.

If you want OEM look.... I was getting those from Mancini..they still had original Mopar sets. I havent looked for them in a while tho. They are pretty short with captured flat washers... same ones go on the oil pan for BB.

If you want OEM look.... I was getting those from Mancini..they still had original Mopar sets. I havent looked for them in a while tho. They are pretty short with captured flat washers... same ones go on the oil pan for BB.

Pan bolts are 5/16” and much longer…

Studs maybe the way to go. I haven’t used them often. OEM would be nice too. If they exist in new condition.

Mega Parts has stock valve cover hardware kits. Big blocks used studs on each end of the bottom row and bolts with captive washers in the remaining locations.

That explains part of the issue. There are no studs on the bottom ends. And definitely no captive washers. Its a mess.

You can get a double end stud at most any good hardware store . Pick your length based on valve cover and type of gasket choice

OEM was 1/4-20 on the end where it threads into the head.
1/4-28 on the exposed end

I’ve purchased direct from AMK, but I believe they have a minimum purchase. I don’t think a valve cover hardware kit will get you there…
Agreed, I believe they have a $35 minimum order

Hardware store 1/4-20 set screws (in the proper length, for covers chosen), bottomed into head, nuts, washers, and home made spreaders.
Paper thin moroso covers, with a coat of turquoise, rubber gaskets, glued to the cover. No leaks.
These are grade eight steel. Doing it over, I might buy stainless, but these were on the shelf waiting for me.

20210214_134822.jpg

Last edited:
Next stop is see what’s waiting on the shelf to pick up.

Auto Transport Service
Back