• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to install valve cover gasket & is this bolt long enough?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Car: 1969 dodge charger r/t with a 440

Question 1:

Tomorrow we will install a new valve cover gasket on the driver side.
I organised a new felpro cork gasket.
Do i just put it on dry or do i have to get some kind of sealing paste for the gasket and bolts or anything?
Found different advice on different websites.
What's the best way to do it on a 440 with a cork gasket?

Also how much torque on the valve cover bolts?
Just good hand tight? Recently bought a torque wrench so i got one if needed.

Question 2:

Today we replaced the fan clutch & fan which was a lousy job considering we did it with the radiator installed.
Unfortunately we lost one of the 4 bolts that bolt the fan clutch to the pulley.
I removed one of the bolts that bolted the old fan to the old fan clutch and its the same thread but shorter. (See picture)

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Can i use the shorter bolt if i cant find the missing one?
Do you know what kind of screws these are? They require a 1/2" wrench.

I was browsing the forum and shop manual a bit

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/gasket-sealer.220081/#post-911909458
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/gasket-sealer.220081/#post-911909464
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/stock-valve-cover-torque-440.154336/

I think i will put in the cork gasket without any sealer and just hope it wont leak.
I will probably just tight down the bolts with a ratchet by hand. Seems not to need a lot of torque.

For the missing fan clutch bolt i will use the shorter one if i cant find the one that we lost.
I think its long enough. But i need to get myself a set of sae nuts on bolts. I can't even replace a screw right now. :D

Michael - I usually make sure the valve cover is flat at the flange where the bolts are located. The sheet metal valve covers can bend in this area if over torqued. I clean the valve cover and adhear the cork gasket to the valve cover, placing the bolts in the holes for proper alignment. I prefer to use 3M weather strip adhesive for this. Once dry, I lightly apply wheel bearing grease to the side which will face the head. Then install the bolts and snug down lightly. Not sure what the torque is, I just try not to bend the valve cover flanges. They usually seal up without problem. Regarding your bolt delima, I cannot tell if the short bolt is long enough.
Ron

The bolts are 5/16"-18 and if you have at least 1/2" under head length they should work fine. Mine are a mix of 1/2" and longer..no problem.

Last edited:
Thanks!

The valve cover looks fine, it also wasn't leaking before removal.
We just removed it some time ago because of what i thought to be valvetrain related but turned out to be just an exhaust leak.
But now of course the old gasket isn't sealing right anymore so i ordered a new one which we will install tomorrow.

I will pretty much do what Ronnman said and think it should be pretty easy.

And yes i think the bolt will be long enough. :)

With cork gaskets I have soaked them in a shallow pan of oil for a few hours to swell them up and then dry off and put on and they are fine.
And the biggest thing is making sure the valve cover is flat at the bolt holes.

Today we managed to find and install the missing bolt!

We also removed the valve cover but found that somebody in the past seems to have used some kind of sealing paste on both the valve cover
and head side of the gasket. So we spent hours removing that crap on both the valve cover and cylinder head. (Using solvent and stuff)
Its an especially lousy job on the head because the engine is in the car and there is next to no working room...
But we managed to get most of it off already and will remove the rest Thursday then install the new cork gasket on a clean cylinder head and valve cover.
The valve cover is already done and looks perfectly straight.

We will adhese the gasket in place on the valve cover on a few points just to make sure it sits right when installing but we wont
use any kind of sealing paste. I wasn't sure yet but it would make you hate life if you ever had to replace that gasket again in the future...

I really hope it won't leak when done. :)

Today we managed to find and install the missing bolt!

We also removed the valve cover but found that somebody in the past seems to have used some kind of sealing paste on both the valve cover
and head side of the gasket. So we spent hours removing that crap on both the valve cover and cylinder head. (Using solvent and stuff)
Its an especially lousy job on the head because the engine is in the car and there is next to no working room...
But we managed to get most of it off already and will remove the rest Thursday then install the new cork gasket on a clean cylinder head and valve cover.
The valve cover is already done and looks perfectly straight.

We will adhese the gasket in place on the valve cover on a few points just to make sure it sits right when installing but we wont
use any kind of sealing paste. I wasn't sure yet but it would make you hate life if you ever had to replace that gasket again in the future...

I really hope it won't leak when done. :)

And that right there is why I don't seal the crap out of them.
The cork gaskets should have hold in place tabs to keep them to the valve cover but no problem with a few adhesive tacks.
You should be fine but they are cork and over a bunch of heat cycles the bolts might need to be "slightly" tightened and I mean slightly.
As long as you have a good running engine and no excessive blow by you should be fine.

Accomplished an extensive test drive today.
Result: Valve cover is sealed properly and does not leak.

We also replaced the fan clutch & fan and the noise is gone and the car does not overheat.
Temperature gauge still not working (working on it) but stopped every 5-10 minutes and measured with an infrared thermometer. (mainly at the thermostat housing)
Averages at 190°F which is great. Especially since today is a relatively hot day @ 84°F.

So my recommendation when it comes to replacing valve covers (especially if you got the stock valve covers and heads in good shape like i do) is

- Use cork gaskets (Like they had stock)
- Clean the valve covers and surface of the cylinder heads real good
- Put the gasket on dry, DO NOT use any kind of extra sealer
- You do not need a torque wrench, just tighten the bolts good by hand
-- Use a ratchet, socket, extensions and joints as needed
-- You may want to use super glue to glue the hard to reach bolt at the firewall side on to the socket

It turned out great in my case!

Auto Transport Service
Back