• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gasket replacement

Car #4

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I’m replacing valve cover gaskets on a 440. I have Felpro gaskets. Should I use a little RTV or Permatex?

I used a thin bead of Ultra Black on both sides of the gasket and no leaks whatsoever.

Yeah, 518 Loctite on one side only! Valve cover side.

I use Permatex Hi-Tack on the valve cover side but RTV black should be good as well.

for the billionth time...
upload_2022-2-28_18-51-2.jpeg
been using for 50 years

Get the covers straight, and go dry with cork gaskets. Valve covers and trans pan. The factory did it this way also. And they put a warrantee on it.

I know some just can’t accept the idea, but it works.

I respect your opinion but the factory was working with brand new, straight and flat. After the covers have been off a time or three they are imperfect. I’m not opposed to a little gel.

I dapple a little permatex on the cover when using cork and let it set up a bit! trans. dry,you don't want anything getting in there!

With the 68-69 hp manifolds the cork doesn't last very long. 2 years and they get dried above the exhaust ports. I can't recommend cork.

With the 68-69 hp manifolds the cork doesn't last very long. 2 years and they get dried above the exhaust ports. I can't recommend cork.
Couldn't agree more.

I always stick em on the valve covers with permatex, the head face will not stick so easy so any time you pull em off you are not ripping up the gasket and it can be reused multiple times.
I use cast alu valve covers, the stock covers might need a little closer inspection if the edges are straight and the area around to bolt holes are flat.

Auto Transport Service
Back