• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

valve height measurement 318 la

MADCIMA

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
What is the correct valve height measurement as in the photo? I have to rectify the new valve seat

t

IMG_20240320_121202_1.jpg

Not sure. As I recall the FSM was more concerned about spring height. I suppose if you have the correct spring height without shims you could measure the valve and use that for a reference.

How high should the spring be?It's not clear in the manual, you need a tool

How high should the spring be?It's not clear in the manual, you need a tool
I believe it is 1 5/8 to 1 11/16 to the bottom of the retainer. Thats what my 69 FSM said for the 273, 318, 340.

Last edited:
Installed valve stem height, which is measured from the spring seat (NOT the top of the guide), to the stem tip, not the retainer. The measurement for In/Ex is 1.891" to 1.921". The valve spring installed height is measured from the valve spring seat again, to the underside of an installed spring retainer with locks. The installed spring height is 1.625" to 1.688" for the intake, and 1.453" to 1.516" for the exhaust. This is when the exhaust uses rotator retainers. If the exhaust uses the same retainers as the intake, then use the same spec for intake and exhaust.

Installed valve stem height, which is measured from the spring seat (NOT the top of the guide), to the stem tip, not the retainer. The measurement for In/Ex is 1.891" to 1.921". The valve spring installed height is measured from the valve spring seat again, to the underside of an installed spring retainer with locks. The installed spring height is 1.625" to 1.688" for the intake, and 1.453" to 1.516" for the exhaust. This is when the exhaust uses rotator retainers. If the exhaust uses the same retainers as the intake, then use the same spec for intake and exhaust.
Thanks for this, would you happen to have the big block specs?

Download service manuals FREE from mymopar.com,

But here ya go for a '70 440:

ISH I/E 2.095" to 2.125"
Spr IH In/Ex 1.83" to 1.89"

These are stock specs, and things can vary so much between years, it is best to get a manual for your application. Spring pressures and installed heights are dictated by your cam and valve spring selection, not the stock specs.

Thank you, perfect year for me. Had the tool and it got lost at a machine shop. Going to make copies and laminate them to give to machine shops around here. Things are getting so far off.

Auto Transport Service
Back