• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve pushrod length

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Just installed a pair of 440 Source stealth heads with their head gaskets. I'm using Comp Cams hydraulic lifters with their XE-262H-10 cam. With no pre-load, my pushrod length checker measures 9.200 in. My pushrods measure 9.300 in. Is this too much pre--load. Should I be looking for 9.250in. pushrods?

Just installed a pair of 440 Source stealth heads with their head gaskets. I'm using Comp Cams hydraulic lifters with their XE-262H-10 cam. With no pre-load, my pushrod length checker measures 9.200 in. My pushrods measure 9.300 in. Is this too much pre--load. Should I be looking for 9.250in. pushrods?
Thats what I would be looking at. On a 3/8 fine adjuster one turn is about .041 preload and you are near 2 1/2 turns with 9.300 length push rods.

.100 is too much preload. HOWEVER, what does the lifter manufacturer recommend. This is a question you want to ask them, not us.

.100 is too much preload. HOWEVER, what does the lifter manufacturer recommend. This is a question you want to ask them, not us.
When installing any high performance hydraulic camshaft, the lifter preload is something which must be considered. Too little preload will result in a noisy valve train, and too much preload will result in tight valves and a poor running engine. Either condition can result in less than expected performance or engine failure. After the cam, lifters and rocker arms are installed and prior to installing the intake manifold, you must check the plunger depression in the lifter. With the cam on the base circle (valve closed) the plunger in the lifter should be depressed .040”-.060”. With nonadjustable rocker arms, you must change pushrod lengths to obtain proper lifter preload. This is a delicate and time consuming process, so if you have any questions, contact the CAM HELP® line at 1-800-999-085

Thanks, all. I figured I was on the right track but wanted to make sure.

I have a nice set of comp cams 7941 pushrods (9.25") that I’d sell if you’re interested.
they are also available for summit for $122 if new is what you want.

IMG_4544.png

IMG_4543.png

When installing any high performance hydraulic camshaft, the lifter preload is something which must be considered. Too little preload will result in a noisy valve train, and too much preload will result in tight valves and a poor running engine. Either condition can result in less than expected performance or engine failure. After the cam, lifters and rocker arms are installed and prior to installing the intake manifold, you must check the plunger depression in the lifter. With the cam on the base circle (valve closed) the plunger in the lifter should be depressed .040”-.060”. With nonadjustable rocker arms, you must change pushrod lengths to obtain proper lifter preload. This is a delicate and time consuming process, so if you have any questions, contact the CAM HELP® line at 1-800-999-085
there is a digit missing on the phone number. I need some help and was gonna call.

i didnt know it was their number. i don't have comp parts will they still help?
Your the one that said this. there is a digit missing on the phone number. I need some help and was gonna call.

Auto Transport Service
Back