• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing Point

I ran this small town theater in the mid 90s. Found this 1971 flyer there
3B03D002-FE28-41C4-8538-5F0E8710A923.jpeg
9C738994-FD58-4692-B724-A456D7014929.jpeg
95D459E7-CAF3-4DBB-AEAD-77F034EBC3CC.jpeg
E62E1E80-007E-4C01-B91C-8E687A1355C2.jpeg

Gentlemen, please....
There is so much misinformation in this thread - and all the correct information, from original sources
including the director, actor and vehicle manager from the original film,
are readily available to
watch/listen to/read online for the price of a simple Google search.

(Hey, I have a lot of time to kill in the wee hours when others sleep and I don't....reasons).
Just an amazing amount of documentation to be had out there, rather than heresay and gossip elsewhere.

I am an afficionado of the original; the remake tried too hard in too many ways and wound up damn
near an insult to the intelligence of the viewer, even though I can remember the Mopar community at the
time being very much excited about it being produced.
Then we saw it....:(
The original started out as a "goof off" project for those involved; it wound up being so much more than that
that even the jaded director wound up having to give it proper respect towards the end of his life.
How many sequels have been as good or better than the original? About the only movie I can recollect offhand is The Godfather; though I’m sure there’s more. The American Graffiti spin-off was a joke. It’s a decision to make a quality flick or cheapo and some low budget movies get an unexpected hit, IMO. “It’s a Wonderful Life” was a box-office flop when it came out.
Agree, there are the experts who can discuss the movie in finite detail; the actors, producers, etc. though viewer’s impressions on it albeit, no more than their ‘opinions’ are unpredictable. And MO, movie critic’s views are as subjective as are the viewers.

I believe on Saturday Sunday they had kids movies + cartoons.
Movie played once a day at 7.00
D

Do I read this correctly? Vanishing Point had a Kids Matinee? Or was it just they way the ads were laid out?

28051D40-C428-44AA-AAFD-68AFC8137E18.jpeg
Hope this doesn’t break any rules here?! I used to work at a muscle car wrecking yard in the early 80s.
There was a spirited gal who worked there processing paperwork. We nicknamed her Dirty Mary. A office pic. There was a original vanishing point and funny car summer posters on wall
next to these. We would have her quote prices to customers as she could get a better price.

View attachment 1225533 Hope this doesn’t break any rules here?! I used to work at a muscle car wrecking yard in the early 80s.
There was a spirited gal who worked there processing paperwork. We nicknamed her Dirty Mary. A office pic. There was a original vanishing point and funny car summer posters on wall
next to these. We would have her quote prices to customers as she could get a better price.
There are posters on the wall? What wall?

Car Chase clip from Longest yard 1974. Has a red 67 GTX that makes a few appearances.

The car Burt is driving is hideous.
It’s a Citroen SM Coupe and was considered one of the most technologically advanced cars at that time. It’s French and, yes, quite hideous. But from what I understand they were fun to drive.

Worst car I purchased, and it was the only new car bought for my wife, was a 1989 Eagle Premier. My brother's M-I-L was an exec at a Chrysler dealer who offered us a deal on it. What a POS it turned out to be with electrical problems. And as I found later, an inherent problem with these cars. At around 50k miles ended up requiring near $2,000 to replace some electricals. No recalls or warranty and things were a mix at Chrysler with their Renault partnership and purchase of AMC some 2 years earlier. The ride, or a good piece of it, was designed by Renault = shitty. When we were selling it, one guy asked if we had-had the car in for the electrical repairs...when we said yep...he bought the car. LAST French vehicle, in whole or part, I'd ever own..

Now I know what happened to so many old mopars...lol

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I ran small town theater in the 90s and rented 35 mm print of vanishing point for a local mopar car club. The film rented for $300 which the car club payed for. It was well used and kinda brittle.
Just before kowalski hits the dozer the film broke!
I had to splice a section out and repair film.
Just found spliced section.
There are 24 frames per second.
No more film today they are CDs with security keys to load. Most 35mm prints were destroyed years ago.

Yep - remember the film/projector in HS threading in the film for showtime and occasional film breaking. And those old Opaque projectors that would bake anything put under them...geez I'm old..

Auto Transport Service
Back