• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vapor Return lines

Rob'68Net

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I am in need of some help here. I am working on a '69 Super Bee that was sent to me with no fuel lines. Question is, what determines if the car gets a vapor return line?
Engine size, A/C, California emissions???

Thanks,
Rob

My 68 Charger 440 4 speed R/T came with the separator and return line. I don't think the automatics got it though for some reason. IMO, they all should have gotten it. My brother's 383 4 speed Charger did not come with it and he had vapor lock issues quite often until we robbed a 3/8" sender and the lines and separator from a wrecked Hemi car. It cured the problem immediately.

My 68 Charger 440 4 speed R/T came with the separator and return line. I don't think the automatics got it though for some reason. IMO, they all should have gotten it. My brother's 383 4 speed Charger did not come with it and he had vapor lock issues quite often until we robbed a 3/8" sender and the lines and separator from a wrecked Hemi car. It cured the problem immediately.

I’ve never seen anything suggesting automatics didn’t get the separator. They generate a lot more heat and would need one before a stick.

I’ve never seen anything suggesting automatics didn’t get the separator. They generate a lot more heat and would need one before a stick.
I agree. All I can go by is what I found back in the day. When my brother started having trouble with vapor lock on his Charger while mine never acted up, we did some research. We found my car had the 3/8" fuel line and 1/4" return. His car had a 5/16" line and no return. We went to a bunch of junk yards looking for the 3/8" setup. I don't remember if we found any R/T automatics or not but finally found a wrecked Hemi Charger that had the parts that we robbed for his car. This was the summer of 1968 so there was not an abundance of those kind of cars in the scrap yards yet. The 1968 parts book suggests only the 426 got the return line but it does show the 440 getting the separator. I do know that all 440's didn't get the separator but not sure why or which did or didn't. Here is the info from my parts book.

fuel separator.jpg

All my stock factory 440 GTXs with automatics came with the separator, in '68, '69, and '70. This includes both the two A/C and three non A/C cars. The base 440 for station wagons, Imperials, and the Chrysler New Yorker was a different animal. I never had a vapor lock problem with my stock '66 Imperial with the mild 440, and no vapor separator. Two restored GTXs I owned in recent years, a factory Hemi automatic, and a factory 440 4 speed, had been done with the return line in place, but no vapor separator installed. I had vapor lock issues with both, which were immediately cured when I plumbed an OEM separator into the system.

Last edited:
I thought 440s and Hemi, but it is a good upgrade to prevent vapor lock.
Put 3/8" supply with a 5/16" return for EFI on the Coronet.
Used the Spectra CR9CFI fuel tank with internal fuel pump. Amazon is showing 1 for $468.82 + $65 shipping.
Out of stock at Summit and a few other places on a search?

My '70 RR had a 5/16" return line when I got it, 383 car, California emissions and appears to be original. I would add one if you are redoing everything, comes in handy with carbs and a Holley return style fuel pressure regulator it's worth having to keep vapor lock at bay while not deadheading the fuel pump.

All my stock factory 440 GTXs with automatics came with the separator, in '68, '69, and '70. This includes both the two A/C and three non A/C cars. The base 440 for station wagons, Imperials, and the Chrysler New Yorker was a different animal. I never had a vapor lock problem with my stock '66 Imperial with the mild 440, and no vapor separator. Two restored GTXs I owned in recent years, a factory Hemi automatic, and a factory 440 4 speed, had been done with the return line in place, but no vapor separator installed. I had vapor lock issues with both, which were immediately cured when I plumbed an OEM separator into the system.
I plumbed in a return line using a 3-port fuel filter. Is there a difference between that and a vapor separator or are they the same?

The separator has a smaller orifice in the 1/4" port so as not to send too much fuel back to the tank and starve the engine. I'm not sure the fuel filter has any regulation at all. If you have no starvation issue you may be ok. Where did you mount the 3 port fuel filter? IMO, it needs to be at the fuel pump to do it's job with the vapor lock problem.

The separator has a smaller orifice in the 1/4" port so as not to send too much fuel back to the tank and starve the engine. I'm not sure the fuel filter has any regulation at all. If you have no starvation issue you may be ok. Where did you mount the 3 port fuel filter? IMO, it needs to be at the fuel pump to do it's job with the vapor lock problem.
on my car I mounted the 3 port fuel filter between the mechanical pump and the carb. Not much room there though with the alternator brackets, distributor, coolant temp sensor and such in the way. The return port is 1/4" with a small orifice inside that port, something like .050" or so. Sounds like it's accomplishing the same thing as the separator.

Auto Transport Service
Back