• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VDO Water Temp Gauge

Hanover Mopar

Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
My VDO water gauge is acting up. It's an electric gauge that seems to work fine at first. Climbs up until thermostat opens then goes back to about 195 degrees. If the car idles for awhile the gauge will climbs all the way to 250 degrees and holds there. The car is not overheating and temps were checked coming out of engine 195 and out of radiator 170-175. The gauge will be a bitch to change so I will try sending unit first.

Has anyone had a similar issue and whats the opinion - sending issue problem or the gauge itself.

Thanks in advance
Jack

Ground the wire to check the gauge. When grounded, it should peg hot. That will eliminate the gauge as the problem. I would also check the wire connection, make sure that it is clean and tight. Last will be the sending unit. Most likely it is Chinese junk. Good luck.

Thanks, will do. I would think VDO might be US made but probably not

Thanks, will do. I would think VDO might be US made but probably not
Unfortunately, I don't believe that any sending units are made in the USA. I had a problem with mine last year. I purchased the AutoMeter from Summit. Same Chinese junk with just a higher price.

Not surprised. Guage is fine. Pulled the sender, it’s say Czech. on it. WTF, Czechoslovakia?? Unreal

Auto Transport Service
Back