• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin tag rivits

Speaking of the rosette rivets, can someone please tell me who sells the proper ones. Just need 2 and I've seen them for sale in quantity.

My dash was painted under the VIN; 69 GTX

PXL_20210305_213335706.jpg

Here is what I did for vin rivets on one of my projects , drilled out the oem rivets on the door post of my 66 Barracuda so I could paint car and polished the vin tag . Then looking to find new ones and got a shock WOW ! Thinking what could I do to get oem rivets and have to pay that price . So I lucked out having a couple of parts cars . I cut out the metal strip holding the tag on one of my parts cars so I could get to the back of the rivets . I took a nail or what ever you would call the metal thing that goes into the rivet gun to set the rivet . I pushed it into the back of the old rivet and using a pair of pliers I started to go around the end and slowly work the metal end back and forth until the rivet came out with the pin still in it , put correct vin tag in place and using the old rivet I reset it in the first hole and riveted it in place using my rivet gun . Repeated the process for the second one and now I have both rivets in place with oem rivets . All of this requires time , patience it takes about 45 minutes per rivet , plus parts cars and a sore hand . I lived in a state that inspects every car for signs that they might be tampered with . The state can do a level one , level two or a level three if they deem something not right . This will work on cars with vin tags on the dash . Hope this helps save someone some money for parts rather for over priced rivets .

Are there any "Reasonable" price Correct rivets out there ? '71 GTX

Are there any "Reasonable" price Correct rivets out there ? '71 GTX
‘Reasonably’ priced? They’re all about $25 for a pair. I just bit the bullet and bought a couple after scouring the internet.

If your restoring/repainting your dash frame and your careful you can just grind the back side off, push them through then just epoxy the originals back on from the backside.. It won't be seen..

I will check with ECS at Carlisle this week . Maybe a show special on their products.

I had them by the jar full at one time. We had them at work and I would go over to VIN install and get a hand full. I used them at work for pop riveting suspended ceiling grid together. Long story short, they were illegal to use on anything but VIN tags and I was asked to order my own small rivets, which I did. I used many screws that were used on trucks, vans and cars. My shop is still all boxed up, when I unpack this fall I'll have to see if I still have them.

I got a pair of Rivets from ECS at Carlisle today.

The ones on my 66 Belvedere don't look like 'rosets'. I'm the second owner of it.....

Mine were black that I used.

Auto Transport Service
Back