• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Air in a 71+ B Body

70chall440

Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone running a VA system in their 71 up B body? I am interested in how you did the control panel or perhaps better said what control panel did you use. I have one from VA but it is too tall and too narrow for the factory slot. I am not afraid to cut the bezel but I just cannot see how this would work out and look decent so I am wondering if there is a different control panel I should be looking for.

I've never seen the guts of one.

Is it just electrical/electronic switches?

If so, can you make a blank for the factory panel and reposition the switches into it?

Yes the VA panel is all electric. I guess anything is possible, I will have to look at the old and new and see if its possible.

IMG_3157.png

I got this. All three switches and stickers are individual. I’m going to make a piece that will be lit to fit in the area where the factory controls were. Should fit perfectly. I’d rather have something stock looking but for $40 bucks on eBay, it’ll work for now.

View attachment 1542292
I got this. All three switches and stickers are individual. I’m going to make a piece that will be lit to fit in the area where the factory controls were. Should fit perfectly. I’d rather have something stock looking but for $40 bucks on eBay, it’ll work for now.
Yeah I might have to go in the same direction, I need to take some measurements first.

The Vintage panel control part number: 491223-RUA. The evap box, Vintage lists as universal is the Gen IV and is the same box used on 70 to 74 E bodies. They recommend the universal mounting bracket but I think the E body bracket will work.

View attachment 1129316
This is the control panel I installed. Got a piece of abs plastic and used it to attach behind the cluster. Didn't have cut my original.

here is a photo of the abs bezel I made to mount behind the dash to hold the controls.

abs bezel.jpg

@mopar jack - Nice work. I am going to measure the opening today and reach out to VA to see what options they might have. I would prefer the sliding arm style controls but may go the route you did if I cannot find anything else.

Auto Transport Service
Back