• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Air installation in a 1968 Satellite

Thanks. My point was that I didn't get a full set of instructions. This hot rod shop in town reprinted a set that matched the set that I already I had exactly. It was missing sections that must be important but heck....I didn't know how many pages were actually missing.
Sadly, I've grown used to companies doing such a piss poor job of providing adequate instructions, it has become standard fare. So many of these projects have crappy instructions resulting in jobs that are left to one's own interpretation.

Well, this is all news to me.

1709953659423.png

1709953557866.png

No problem, just nothing I've seen until now.
Like other things, I didn't know what I didn't know.
Why should the installer even have to do this? The Classic setup didn't require it.

One thing is for sure - Kern Dog does not like installing this Vintage Air more than installing the Classic Auto Air.

If I had more experience, I may feel different.
The Classic system was pretty simple. The instructions were step by step, the hard lines fit, the hose ends were included. I deviated slightly to change one line but otherwise, it went in as they outlined. You got a well thought out kit that you could make slight changes to some stuff.
This system and the instructions leave out some steps that the installer just has to figure out on their own.
If I had a street rod or custom build, the Vintage system does allow a variety of installation options.
In the end, once this works and lasts, it will be worth the effort.

Last edited:
Bring on the A/C! I can feel the sweet cooling breezes already:)
I've done two 650 mile round trip drives to Mopar Spring Fling with this car with no A/C in the past. My first Spring Fling with A/C will be oh so sweet.

Bring on the A/C! I can feel the sweet cooling breezes already:)
I've done two 650 mile round trip drives to Mopar Spring Fling with this car with no A/C in the past. My first Spring Fling with A/C will be oh so sweet.
You know that now that you have A/C the weekend if Spring Fling is gonna be rainy & in the 50's right?

it helps clear the windows :thumbsup:
Actually no... When you install the new system you block the fresh air inlet... From that point on you only have recirculated air...
Running the A/C through the defrost vent works but not as well as fresh air... One of the reasons on a factory A/C car I tend to keep the stock under dash components & replace the stuff under the hood...

Actually no... When you install the new system you block the fresh air inlet... From that point on you only have recirculated air...
Running the A/C through the defrost vent works but not as well as fresh air... One of the reasons on a factory A/C car I tend to keep the stock under dash components & replace the stuff under the hood...

well, it will squeeze and dehumidify the air in the cabin and dump it out the drain hose....... so there :poke:

Yeah, it still works.. Just never been a fan of eliminating the fresh air option..

I'm just shocked you Cali guys know what humidity is
It's not common here but we do have some on occasions.. But I lived in Mississippi, Texas & Guam... I've spend weeks in Louisiana.. I probably know what humidity feels like...

Well, this is all news to me.

View attachment 1624323

View attachment 1624321

No problem, just nothing I've seen until now.
Like other things, I didn't know what I didn't know.
Why should the installer even have to do this? The Classic setup didn't require it.
I’m assuming this is only for the control knobs. I didn’t program anything for my 70 Charger and it works perfect. Whatever you guys decide to do, y’all are doing a good job. We can all agree to disagree but I’m sure the end product will be nice and everybody that’s involved will be happy.

You know that now that you have A/C the weekend if Spring Fling is gonna be rainy & in the 50's right?
I won't be going this year, but yeah some years it's cool and some years it's warm, but the drive down is usually pretty warm going down the valley.

Dwayne sent me this:

6A11F9DD-BCCB-4AFD-89FF-568A4ECE89D3.jpeg

Nice, quality piece.

3BF613A1-C69C-431E-9B39-D5141CA16C6C.jpeg

All the guts look to tuck away nicely.
D36179E2-E5B9-4EE1-A97F-48AA223CA439.jpeg

Since my own car lost the cold air feel from my Classic Auto Air system I installed in 2019, I’m going to do some rudimentary detective work with it.

I had this setup up on the shelf.

C7AAA147-E43B-4979-AA6C-CD604010A7AB.jpeg

I got some advice yesterday and also watched a couple of videos last night about evacuation and charging the system.

C5654AFE-0B53-4D20-A037-958D01B998D2.jpeg

This setup was loaned to me by the guy that sold me THIS when he moved out of state.

8C1F50B8-FA0E-47B6-BC30-48EFAC9A0102.jpeg

This setup looks similar to units I saw being used in online videos.

B4F2B094-A752-4588-A1E2-986E25EC6ACB.jpeg

5973D998-6018-4B6C-90A2-4E80BD08969E.jpeg

The system has to be purged by a vacuum.

8A8A5A61-0C25-445C-8738-733D477C9E51.jpeg

This also came from the guy that sold me the car…

655AF777-C5C8-4E56-8923-C853632E8ADC.jpeg

He moved out of state in a hurry and left behind stuff at his place. I collected this stuff, two sets of headers, an 8 3/4” axle, all sorts of stuff he couldn’t fit in his trailer.
Score.

4BF449AD-A463-4B7D-9C18-25C8FCB95009.jpeg

Back on point.
I may practice and learn the process on my car and apply that to the Plymouth.
I was wanting to do a vacuum to my car to see if I can find any leaks. I figured that if I did it myself right here, I could fix it too instead of paying shop labor for parts and labor.
I didn’t plan on filling the system myself though. A helpful member here messaged me and gave me a bit of advice on it. I saw this tank and gauges on the shelf and figured… my car already doesn’t blow cold air, how bad can I screw it up? With the evacuation and charge procedures, I may divert attention from this thread over to my thread about my car as I muddle through this, then return here once I make sense of it.
In the meantime, I can swap in this control panel, ducts, firewall plate and the ignition parts so the parts installation is complete.

I'm just shocked you Cali guys know what humidity is
haha, the time we need that benefit of the A/C system is when the outside temp and inside temp are such that exhaled air from breathing passengers fogs up the windows. Certain morning drives are worse than others in the winter time.

The old control panel is out.
F449AB5A-2D73-4D00-AEEF-2ACE5703B591.jpeg

5B3FF848-FDD6-4868-B752-E0017E078EA5.jpeg

New one is in.

3453A982-0A02-4AC0-9B87-1D685BEDB2D6.jpeg

The matte black finish blends right in.

66446205-3482-478D-8890-48AE487A87EA.jpeg

Fitment was excellent.
My Classic Auto Air panel didn’t. I had to hog the mounting holes over a bit, they were drilled off center.
They sure leave a long enough harness for everything. I’ll loop and zip tie it all to tuck and fit.

The evaporator drain is next. It has to go through the firewall so I used the drill bit and stepped bit. The grommets in the kit look nice but are kind of flimsy.

CA95A04B-02B5-491E-A165-B2AB7CBBB125.jpeg

97C584AA-1BDD-4CBF-9565-F6BEAC48B894.jpeg

I wondered if they would flex and maybe pop out?
I had some thicker OEM ones.

FA295E05-C498-451D-9A64-C1F2034FD883.jpeg

I drilled a hole in it…Pretty solid.

7592D5ED-49B6-474F-B9CC-7FA4787CE395.jpeg

On the engine side I attached a thick wall rubber hose to the 90. The drain will drip between the torsion bar and exhaust pipe.

Auto Transport Service
Back