• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual ID of Sure Grip center section

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
Once again my lack of knowledge is getting put into the FBBO brain trust.

With the center section removed from the housing (in my case...a 741) how can you tell if it is a Sure Grip or Open ?

Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks !

There are two types of sure grips.
Clutch type and cone type. On the cone unit, you will see springs in the open spaces of the center section. Someone will maybe post a picture. Any sure grip will fit all the housings you listed.
20230907_113408.jpg

The picture I attached is a clutch sure
grip. It's a 3.55 gear 742 housing.

Yup....cone unit you will see springs looking through the windows. Hard to see much looking in the windows of the clutch unit but the open diff will show spiders and other bugs :D

Here's an open/peg-leg/one-legger/whatever you wanna call it.

th-4061445012.jpg

Yup....cone unit you will see springs looking through the windows. Hard to see much looking in the windows of the clutch unit but the open diff will show spiders and other bugs :D
Is anything other than a sure grip worth using on the street, spool or whatever, and are they cheaper than a sure grip?

The open Beanhead posted is obvious, that one is easy.
As Jerry Hall showed, the clutch unit bolts together from the opposite side of the ring gear.
The cone type bolts together from the same side as the ring gear. So, you will have a circle of big bolts holding the ring gear on, and another ring of bolts on a smaller circle, on the same side as the ring gear bolts.

Ah, ok so the one that Beanhead posted looks exactly like the one I saw. I just didn't know by looking at it. Now I be edjumicated !! Thanks for the lessons folks !

A spool is much cheaper than a sure grip, but i wouldnt use one other than in a 95% strip car, that makes only an occasional McDonald's drive-thru trip. (I haveone of those).Squeals tires every turn, can be VERY dangerous in any kind of wet, even a little puddle.
There is also the Detroit (and grizzly) locker. That's what I have in my street/strip car. Very strong, more than a clutch even, but they make noise and you have to be aware how you drive, cause it's either locked up.... or it isn't. It Is a couple hundred more dollars than the new screw-type lsd's and maybe double an aftermarket clutch type.
I think a clutch sure grip would be the proper choice for 95% of the cars out there.

Is anything other than a sure grip worth using on the street, spool or whatever, and are they cheaper than a sure grip?
I'm a fan of Eaton Trutrac differentials. They are around $575. Require no friction modifier and are quiet. Dr. Diff sells a stock clutch type for $395

Trutrac...
20230217_222855.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back