• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage Regulator Temp

72 Runner

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
Just getting the Road Clone sorted out. Drive the thing maybe 20 miles and I'm walking home:sad:. So, I went to an orange MP ignition box, Crane coil and new MP regulator. When I pulled the regulator off the gel stuff in the regulator
had partially melted out. The car ran after it cooled down. After replacing the ignition box, coil and regulator, I have driven it about an hour with no problem. But when I shot the regulator with a temp gun, it was a 150 deg. F.
Does anyone know what is normal. I took it off and no signs of melting yet. Maybe I'm just scared?

In my line of work, 150f isn't hot. That's probably the ambient temp under the hood. Did you get a reference temp, or just check the temp of the vr? Where I work, we make much more complicated electronics to operate in a 175°c (347°f) environment for 200+ hours with commercial grade parts (parts rated at 85°c), so 150f shouldn't be a concern. I would be concerned about why the vr failed. Did it go on it's own internally, or was it shorted/loaded externally? Get a DVM and get some voltage readings, otherwise, it may happen again. Nothing wrong with being scared. I had a wheel bearing seize and twist the spindle 90° 70 miles from home. That was an expensive and uncomfortable ride back.

The VR that I took out still worked. But that gel stuff is on the fire wall and I'm not sure if it was there when I got the car in October. I never saw or smelled smoke, but I have a hard time understanding how it could melt that stuff out of the VR and keep going. After I drove it Monday the VR was 135F when I got home and after it idled in the driveway with the hood down for about 15 minutes it was 150. I'll take it to cruise night tomorrow and see. What could go wrong? Thanks

Sounds like the VR shorted and was giving full charge. Car will still run, so it appears everything is working. Very bad for the battery. Did you smell rotten eggs at any time?
The new VR is on now, correct?

VR is new and on the car. Never smelled anything out of the ordinary. Thanks for the insite. I'll take it to cruise night tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Went to cruise night and the car ran awsome. 35 miles round trip,can't wait to drive it more. Now get the 408 goin' and 4 speed in and we'll be cruisin'

Auto Transport Service
Back