• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VooDoo 60302

TBass

Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
I installed a VooDoo 60302 cam in my fresh 383. I haven't put through all the true tests yet, but from what I can tell so far, it is going to be pretty awesome! It has a very street friendly RPM range but sounds like it's angry as hell. I will post a video later, but pretty impressed so far.

I'm building a 451 for a member here and I think that's the cam we got for it. All I recall is it's on a 112 LSA and .480" lift. Glad to know you like it.

Whew! I think I need to change carbs. My ole 1406 may not be the right answer anymore. It runs so rich I can't stand it! Haven't gotten it all dialed in and tuned up yet.

Here's my "review" of it so far. I have a lot of different factors to consider as of right now, but I am still looking at this optimistically. I can say that I am not yet impressed with this VooDoo grind yet. I am running a stock iron intake and a 650 Edelbrock carb so they may be what is hindering this cam, but I have headers and a nice 2.5" exhaust so I know I'm straight on the exhaust side of the house. They claimed this cam would work great with stock intake and manifolds. So far I haven't got enough vacuum for my power brakes and the engine is loading up like hell! So, I am going with an Edelbrock 1411 to see if that gives this VooDoo what it needs. If not, I may put a Performer on there, but that gets into destroying my "stock appearance" more than the headers.

[video=youtube_share;gRak_LcALRY]http://youtu.be/gRak_LcALRY[/video]

Here's my "review" of it so far. I have a lot of different factors to consider as of right now, but I am still looking at this optimistically. I can say that I am not yet impressed with this VooDoo grind yet. I am running a stock iron intake and a 650 Edelbrock carb so they may be what is hindering this cam, but I have headers and a nice 2.5" exhaust so I know I'm straight on the exhaust side of the house. They claimed this cam would work great with stock intake and manifolds. So far I haven't got enough vacuum for my power brakes and the engine is loading up like hell! So, I am going with an Edelbrock 1411 to see if that gives this VooDoo what it needs. If not, I may put a Performer on there, but that gets into destroying my "stock appearance" more than the headers.

What's the importance of stock appearance when you can clearly tell it has an aftermarket cam and headers? :shruggy:

My guess is it's the tune, not the cam, causing issues. What carb changes did you do after installing the cam?

It's important to me. This is the first time I have ever built one that isn't modified to high hell. It's the way I want it to be. This cam is so mild you can barely even hear it once the engine is at operating temp. I installed a 650 AVS on it. I have been training for deployment so I haven't gotten to tinker with the carb since I installed it. But I have the timing nailed down and it was running real well with the worn out 600 AFB I removed.

I think it sounds good. :thumbsup:

I need about 12 in vacuum for my power brakes to work at idle, and that's what I'm getting with the Voodoo 60303 (xxx703 is the new part number).
Sure, we have different engines so a direct comparison is not possible, but here is a sound clip of my engine with the 60303 and 1.6 rockers (512cui, 12.4:1 static, ethanol injected).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPup8rZdRM8

I like the way the 383 sounds better the 512 sounds too poppy if you will maybe the compression or e85? Just my preference no offense martin

No offense taken.
Many times it's difficult to record the proper sound with cameras, and especially so laptops, but in my case I think the sound recorded is pretty close to the actual. I was expecting a more "aggressive" sound from my engine and admit I was maybe a bit disappointed at first...but now I like to call it "sophisticated" :icon_smile:
My guess too is that the compression makes it sound "poppy".

i've been playing with edelbrock carbs the past 12 months. i've found the primary main metering to be too rich on all the carbs and the idle circuts a little lean on the non avs carbs.

That stick sounds similar to mine. I like the sound of good compression. That "poppy" makes for crispness in the idle and throttle response. I am still entertaining installing that Whiplash to get me angry sounding as I wanna be. Just dragging my feet. I think the VooDoo stuff is good quality, but I like a lopey idle. That Hughes cam gives me the best of both worlds.

That stick sounds similar to mine. I like the sound of good compression. That "poppy" makes for crispness in the idle and throttle response. I am still entertaining installing that Whiplash to get me angry sounding as I wanna be. Just dragging my feet. I think the VooDoo stuff is good quality, but I like a lopey idle. That Hughes cam gives me the best of both worlds.

I agree that compression and cam go hand in hand with performance and sound, TYPICALLY but this time I just happen to like the 383 sound better. That motor if stock is what maybe 9.2:1 in real life?

I worked in NASCAR for a good ten years. The level of quality that goes into those engines is phenomenal. But they sounded so damned crisp and clean with the 14.5:1 or higher compression that you can actually hear the most minor difference in an ill cylinder. They are so much easier to tune by ear than what we have to work with. You can essentially nail down an adjustment without ever grabbing a timing light or vacuum gauge etc. Then when you verify it with whichever tool, it's there! Right where it needs to be! IMO compression is the distinguishing factor in that. And obviously the throttle response is out of this world. I will probably never be satisfied with my car after working on those for so long. But that's where I acquired my love for "poppy"!

I agree! The motors I've built with 13 to1 C/Ratio and tight quench had superb throttle response, and sounded very crisp and clean. Never a misfire!

I agree but in this case listening to both I liked the 383 sound.

Not typical of me

Auto Transport Service
Back